Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Quality Management System (QMS/ ERP/ intranet). Need advice:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Management System (QMS/ ERP/ intranet). Need advice:

Hi,

I am a alpha software 11 developer, and I have an upcomming project, and I am still trying to define it, as you see in my headings.

I am looking for a "business platform" for a businessprocesses, to drop my ISO 9001 doc. content, and to bulid different components of need, into the platform. It should be web based, but not a must. Strict personal access controll for different departments (management, sales, production and so on, should be individually set and controlled.

The platforms most fundamental function is to move and keep track of individual business documents like, policies, procedures, working documents, HSE and other processes, issue new doc. and store outdated doc. in a database archive. Like earlier revisions, old projects and so on.

Does anybody happen to have such platform, or know where it would be best to start in a v11. point of view?

Best regards
    Tommy

Re: Quality Management System (QMS/ ERP/ intranet). Need advice:

There's a lot of variables still there, Tommy. First of all, do they want their documents to be "live" so they can continue editing them, or is it just a repository.

I've built a document management system (repository) into Alpha Five with a couple of third-party programs to handle documents behind the scenes. But it's not been fun--you have to be prepared to handle incoming files of all kinds of formats, and just within files with a .pdf extension, there are numerous versions of PDFs depending on how they were created and they may behave differently on the browser and/or run through other tools. Incoming files could be huge in size, or they could have special characters in them, or be password-protected, etc, etc.

I guess I sound pessimistic--if it fits your project and it is simply a repository, I would suggest trying to find a third-party tool like the one we're moving to soon--Neevia's Document Converter Pro--which essentially uses the default application for the file type and prints it to a PDF file. PDFs are (at least historically) stable, uneditable, and free to view (side note here that with Adobe's creation of PDFs with editable form fields in conjunction with browsers deciding to default to built-in PDF viewers is making things more complicated, but if you have to suggest your users have the free Adobe Reader plugin, it should work consistently). Printing to PDF can be done without their software, but we've struggled with multiple documents hitting at once, or certain rare-but-existing document types hanging up our processes, etc. Neevia's product is multi-threaded and if an error occurs it writes it to a log and you can deal with it from there. I've got a number of documents that have caused various points of our process problems, and it either processes them without error or writes it to the error log and keeps going.

As long as you have a solid way to get the documents into your system, it's really easy just to have a database of documents with the URL stored in a column.

Comment

I'm about 70% through a rewrite of a V8 QMS system updating it to V11 tabbed UI (and V12 mobile devices?). The pics below shows how the document piece looks. For me, the key to the document piece is to use CKEditor, which is the one shown in the first pic. Steve Wood has an app that integrates CKEditor V3.6 with Alpha (better than the one that I had created) for sale on IADN. I recommend it.

CKEditor works in all browsers, is fast and complete including a "paste from Word" capability that removes all the junk Word puts in the document, but preserves the formatting. It also contains language packs that can replace all the dialog languages with about 30 other languages.
      Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

So I just purchased the CKEditor integrator. That's not exactly related to our File Library repository, but I don't know why I hadn't used it before.

That's the biggest variable, Tommy--I mainly spoke of keeping track of files--PDFs, Word docs, etc. Pat's mainly speaking of saving the contents of such documents in your database (which of course you can generate PDFs of if needed). Not even having used CKEditor yet, I will also recommend it based on experience with the inability of Alpha's built-in HTML editor to correctly handle pasting from Word among other things.

Comment

Thank you both for informative advice. I was aware of the CKEditor, but was not sure that was the best choice, now- when I see the nice piece of work from Pat, I see it's potential. It's the same kind of platform I am looking for.
          Ok, it feels good to know that I will start out right and not turn around half way only to reinvest in other third party solutions.. I am sure there comes more questions along the way. Thank you both so much :)

Regards
          Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Tommynilsen View Post
            Thank you both for informative advice. I was aware of the CKEditor, but was not sure that was the best choice, now- when I see the nice piece of work from Pat, I see it's potential. It's the same kind of platform I am looking for.
            But, then again- CKEditor is a open source editor, open for anyone to edit. That is something from a commercial point of view that I don't wish for..

Regards
            Tommy

Comment

Just a note on this--implementing CKEditor in our application was a breeze, and in terms of it being open source, it will only change if you download new versions. If something like MySQL is open source and used in thousands of big-dollar commercial applications, you can't write off an open source solution just because it is open source. If it works, it works.

However, while I haven't had time to get into it in depth, the CKEditor controls are causing problems with some things that had previously been copied and pasted into the Alpha Five HTML controls from other sources like OpenOffice, perhaps MS Word. I think CKEditor is handling new copying and pasting okay, but it's replacing the old garbage with some new. That said, the Alpha Five controls have even more issues with the garbage source code. Just an FYI.

Comment

Christian,

Thanks. All in all i think it will do.
                Anyone who has experience with implementing CKEditor into an alpha application for commercial use, please speak out now..

-Tommy

Comment

try aptana(free and open source) or Komposer(free) or both??
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Not sure Dave, but what we're discussing is in-app HTML data controls for end users; I think those products are both for web development.

Comment

I have probably misunderstood. LOL
                      Maybe, but I use both for lan at various times, depending on cicumstances.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by christappan View Post
                        Not sure Dave, but what we're discussing is in-app HTML data controls for end users; I think those products are both for web development.
                        I think using these products for LAN makes them relating to the topic, maybe not directly. Accordingly, info about them has the right to live in the current debate. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
                          I'm about 70% through a rewrite of a V8 QMS system updating it to V11 tabbed UI (and V12 mobile devices?). The pics below shows how the document piece looks. For me, the key to the document piece is to use CKEditor, which is the one shown in the first pic. Steve Wood has an app that integrates CKEditor V3.6 with Alpha (better than the one that I had created) for sale on IADN. I recommend it.

CKEditor works in all browsers, is fast and complete including a "paste from Word" capability that removes all the junk Word puts in the document, but preserves the formatting. It also contains language packs that can replace all the dialog languages with about 30 other languages.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]35709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35710[/ATTACH]
                          Hi Pat,

I'm just about to start on a similar venture and would be very interested in any updates or tips that you could pass along. I am developing a QMS for a marine company where there will be two servers, one on board the ship and the other in the office. The documents will have to be synchronized and have all of the usual document control features. I plan to create a desktop/web app for ease of navigation for the end users with a back end for document management similar to yours.

I look forward to any information you have time to pass along. I may also be interested in purchasing the document management component(s) if it will save me time.

Comment

Bob,

Sorry, I just saw your post. Interestingly, my client is in Sidney next to the airport, just up 17 from you.

If you are still interested, I could see if they would be able to show it to you.

Pat.
                            Pat Bremkamp
                            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Bob,
                              Here is a screen shot. In the menu area, the buttons are:
                              Issues - corrective and preventive actions
                              RAM - links from the standard (9001 in your case) to the company documents including training requirements and process flow
                              Work Instructions - with updates
                              Audits - internal and external audits
                              Tools - measuring and safety tools including calibration
                              Management Review - with standard questions and corrective actions
                              Document control - forms, records and documents
                              Not shown is the training piece.

qms.png

Pat
                              Pat Bremkamp
                              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Working...
                              X