Alpha Video Training

Thread: Unable to get value of the property 'bind': object is null or undefined

Real Name
    David McGrew, MD

Default Unable to get value of the property 'bind': object is null or undefined

I have a rather complicated dialog that has been in production for over a year. I am trying to make some minor changes to it. However, ANY change I make (even putting an additional blank line in X-Basic, or adding a default value to a control) is causing the above error to be displayed in Working Preview. I tried ignoring the error and publishing and the dialog does not open properly, however, it throws no error. I have restored the prior version to my production environment, so I am back in operation. I have no idea what would be causing this to occur or how to proceed. Any ideas? I have updated my working environment and the app server.

Real Name
    David McGrew, MD

Default Re: Unable to get value of the property 'bind': object is null or undefined

Just a follow up on this for anyone who encounters a similar problem.

I created a new dialog and copied component by component over and checked at each step to see what the problem was. On the 4th Pane near the end of the controls, there was one button with a very simple JS event handler that was the source of the problem. When I added it to my dialog copy, I encountered the same problem I had on the original. When I deleted it from the original, I was then able to introduce changes without the error. For the life of me, I cannot see what was wrong with the button control! It was an interesting adventure in problem solving.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

Default Re: Unable to get value of the property 'bind': object is null or undefined

Thank you for the spending the time and sharing your research. This will help a lot of us out...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Hey David,

What was the javascript in the event? If you commented out the javascript, does the error still occur?

Real Name
    David McGrew, MD

The JS was a simple SetValue on a textbox. I did not try commenting it out, and now it is gone, so I am unable to answer your question. It did work as published, including this button and JS. That is the very strange thing about this.