Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Google map in a panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google map in a panel

I have been attempting to use the Open Web Page Super Control (Google Map) to open a map to a contact's address shown in the current panel. I have a list control that has the fields with the address and used those. If I select to open it in a window, the map opens to the correct address, but is too big to see on an IPhone. I thought that selecting to open it in a Panel might work better, so I created another empty panel for that. When I select to open the web page in a Panel, and then select the empty panel name, and then run it all, I get a script error message that says 'panelld is undefined'.

Screenshot of the error: http://screencast.com/t/vUBcGBOWTL
    Screenshot of the Action Javascript genie stuff for the super control: http://screencast.com/t/xnIH3dssa

Any thoughts for me?
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Re: Google map in a panel

Why would you use a supercontrol ? That is unless I'm mistaken old legacy stuff. Use a UX map control
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I would be happy to use a UX map control if that's what I need, but I'm too much of a newbie to ux to figure out how to do that. Looked for a video or help and am not finding. All the javascipt action stuff I click on that might be something that sounds like a map control wants a map id or name... And I'm not sure where that's supposed to come from. Frank, do you know where help can be found for this?
      Carol King

Comment

Hi Carol,

Maybe these will be of help
        http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11pre...11.htm#Mapping

Comment

Thanks, Bruce. I started watching the video, but it seems like you have to have some named map first (right away Selwyn is selecting a map in the video), and then it seems like you have to have latitude and longitude to place a marker. In my case, I have an address (street, city, state, zip) in fields and I want to just open a map that finds that address. Can someone suggest the best tool for this?
          Carol King

Comment

Well, my bad... I am watching farther and see that you can use an explicit address. I'm still puzzled about selecting a map name, tho.
            Carol King

Comment

OK, I'm getting it now. Had to put a Map control into a panel first, so I can refer to it. Thanks so much for the pointers all!
              Carol King

Comment

I have dug this out http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/geocode_address+Function
                But sounds like you have it sorted.

Comment

Carol,

Yep that's it! You're on your way now!
                  Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Carol,

Just created this component that does what you want; v12 mobile stuff really is amazing!

test_carol.a5wcmp
                    Frank

Comment

That is a nice little sample Frank, thanks for sharing

See I always go " That is cool ... but now I want it to do this..."
                      And this is where I hit walls.

That demo looks great in Iphone vertical preview but of you change to horozontal... or ipad... the map does not change size.
                      So I thought 'cool I can do this'
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ue-j71l4#at=79
                      But that is for Charts and that feature has only JUST been added.

Am I missing something? does anyone know a way to resize maps to fit their container?
                      I asked this same sort of question way back here in v11 Seems to me there is no way to make a map resize to the pannel or what ever container it is in.
                      http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ght=resize+Map

Thanks

Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

This was just a quick & dirty sample created in no more then 3 minutes (!) to hint Carol away from the old legacy stuff. I'm flooded with work now but in a free minute I'll update it to more detail; I can only learn from doing that!
                        Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                          Bruce,

This was just a quick & dirty sample created in no more then 3 minutes (!) to hint Carol away from the old legacy stuff. I'm flooded with work now but in a free minute I'll update it to more detail; I can only learn from doing that!
                          Hi Frank,

Sorry I know it was a quick and dirty, it is it just lead me to the pondering this. We are all learning this new UX stuff.

Comment

>>We are all learning this new UX stuff

Yeah! Especially the mobile part, I find it so intuitive & easy that I can hardly believe it.
                            Frank

Comment

Hi All,
                              Here is a little mod to the sample posted by Frank

After getting some sample code from Selwyn on re-sizing maps in a dialog... I find out that there is an even better method when using panes and containers!
                              There is a property called "Fill Container" that Map controls have... like List controls
                              FillContainer.png

Works a treat! except that then I found I could not swipe back to panel_1 as the map was taking control so all I was doing was moving the map...
                              But then remembered one of Selwyns videos...I added a little custom onSwipe code

if(e.swipeDirection == 'right') {
                              {grid.object}.panelSetActive('PANELCARD_1');
                              }
                              (Which is part of the template code in the builder help)

So now map re-sizes and you can swipe back nicely
                              Anyway, I thought I would share the results of my playing.

I would have re-posted the modified component but it seems I can upload files, just images

Bruce
                              Last edited by kiwibruce; 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                              X