Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Capture Image file name as variable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capture Image file name as variable?

Hi Guys,

My customer has decided to change his company logo for the 3rd time in almost as many years.

Whilst I do charge for changing the image on every layout where it is used, I'm thinking of getting the image file name into a global variable from a table (Menu, with a single record) and using that variable throughout the application.

Is this a good idea and if yes, how can I do it?

This does not work for me.
    Code:
    dim global company_logo as c
    dim tbl as p
    tbl= table.open("menu")
    tbl.fetch_first()
    company_logo= tbl.company_logo
    tbl.close()
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Re: Capture Image file name as variable?

This does not work for me.
    And what does "does not work" mean to you?

Restating. The easiest way would be to have a bitmap/jpg object using a named file. Replace the named file with the new logo and close/reopen the form. The new image is displayed.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

The code I posted is what does not work for me. I put it there to show I had at least made some attempt at using a global variable. If it was just a numeric or character value, then I would have no problem.

Is your suggestion, that I can only do what needs to be done by changing the image reference on each layout and not be able to use a global variable?
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

You named the variable the same name as the field's name
        Code:
        dim global [COLOR="#FF0000"]company_logo[/COLOR] as c
        dim tbl as p
        tbl= table.open("menu")
        tbl.fetch_first()
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]company_logo= tbl.company_logo[/COLOR]
        I am sure, you do not want to do that....just as a matter of good practice and not necessarily why your script doesn't work.

What type of field is tbl.company_logo ?

Comment

Keith,

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I have a file in the sever for their logo. It is named applogo.png. My customers know that they can copy another image over this one and all is automatically changed. Images are not imbedded. applogo.png is one of the extra files brought over on a shadow or renew shadow.

No varables, not nothing.

Would that be easier?
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The code I posted is what does not work for me.
            What is it that you expect that code to do? "Does not work" doesn't tell me what you think should happen if you had the right code.

Is your suggestion, that I can only do what needs to be done by changing the image reference on each layout and not be able to use a global variable?
            What could be easier than making the image on each layout reference a file. When the user wants to change the image shown on all layouts they simply change the file. (I think Dave restated this.)
            There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry Stan, I guess I was going so fast, I forgot to read all.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your valued suggestions.

My customer needs his hands holding when it comes to computers.

The field in the table is Image File Reference.

I had in mind that he could open a form change the image there and that file reference could be used throughout the application from some code in the Autoexec. Is this not possible?

I shall try what does seem a simple route, of renaming the new file to that of the old one and see what happens.
                Last edited by Keith Hubert; 06-18-2013, 12:44 AM.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Most do

My customer needs his hands holding when it comes to computers
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                    Is this a good idea and if yes, how can I do it?
                    I don't know if it's a good idea or not because I am not sure how are you going to use the variable.
                    Is it the best idea?
                    Again, I don't know.
                    But, you might be able to get your code to work.

Try this code:
                    Code:
                    dim global v_company_logo as c
                    dim tbl as p
                    tbl= table.open("menu")
                    tbl.fetch_first()
                    v_company_logo= word(substr(tbl.company_logo,17),1,")")
                    tbl.close()
                    Or this code:
                    Code:
                    dim global v_company_logo as c
                    dim tbl as p
                    tbl= table.open("menu")
                    tbl.fetch_first()
                    v_company_logo= eval(substr(tbl.company_logo,2))
                    tbl.close()
                    Either one of the above scripts will assign the file path to v_company_logo, and it works in my end of the hemisphere.

Comment

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for code. I put the variable v_company_logo on the form, I must be missing something as all I can get is the text of the path and file name, not the actual image.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I thought that's what you wanted.
                        Anyways, I am walking out of the door, but getting the image itself from the path is easy (was described in another thread). I will be back in the evening if you haven't figured it out.

Comment

Keith,

Use the code you originally posted in the autoexec to set the global variable. In the oninit event for each form where the logo currently appears use/add the code

Dim Global company_logo as C
                          this:0bjectnameofbitmapobject.bitmap.filename = var->company_logo
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

This is beginning to make a little sense to me now.

If I have set the value to the global variable in the autoexec, why do I need to Dim it again on the form?

Update: I have got this to work now, many thanks for your great help, just perfect

Just need to transfer this to all my customers layouts. This should then be a one off task for the future.
                            Last edited by Keith Hubert; 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

why do I need to Dim it again on the form
                              To ensure that both scripts reference the same variable. There is the possibility that the form script would think you were using a new local variable of the same name.
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X