Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v12. I am sure it's me. BUT....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v12. I am sure it's me. BUT....

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
    marcel
    take a look at your horsebase wcd and the homepage that says start. wouldn't you like some nifty html page displayed about your program or the company instead of being blank?
    that's where the html page will go.
    Ok. I did not realize that this was your question. Yes, I already have that. That is the "home"-page of your TUI component. It is in HTML and yes, you can have a picture there without difficulty. Just define your link to the image correctly and think about whether you want/need a fully qualified filename or just the short version (depends on where your app is going to run, if you don't know that because your client installs, then the fully qualified filename will not work!). So this is all possible (and done in my application already since the vid was created).

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
    what if you just wanted to print
    a list of all the horses in your stable,
    a list of races where your horses ran
    a list of trophies your stable or horses won
    normally you will put some button on the tabbed_ui then you will just print. i tired, it did not work.
    hopefully we will find a mechanism to print report from a button.
    As I said previously, most reports your customer needs to give some type of parameters for. If he needs ALL horses that might not be needed, but mostly your user will want a more sophisticated report option than just "all". In any case, your TUI button can only open components at present. Which is not a problem since in the majority of cases you will want the user to provide with an option to state parameters anyway. So do it like this: place a button on the TUI, let the button open a small dialog component, and have your input fields for the parameters there with a button to open the pdf or print the report accordingly.

Another angle for you: any app will not just have 1 print button but several. Some are placed in the action button space on any grid, but others could be grouped in functional groups and per group have a dialog housing the appropriate buttons for them. It really all is just a matter of design Govindan. Use your imagination. At some point, Alpha might pick up on the perspective WCD can offer (also from a business point of view!) and develop this a bit further into what could be "more optimal" and maybe create buttons for the TUI that can do more and print directly. At this point however I do not think that the TUI is (from a design point of view) the best place to put a print button on anyway since it is mainly the main menu. I would personally design executing functions rather on grids or dialog components. But that's how I look at it.

Comment

Back to post nr 1: it would be nice (and commonly it would be expected) if someone of Alpha would actually give me an answer to my question. It does not have to be the desired list at once, but an answer like "Yes, good idea, we will work on it" or "no, we are not going to do this" would be nice. This is exactly the achilles heel of Alpha: communication with the customer. A simple answer would suffice, without the answer, the customer gets the feeling he is neglected and nothing good can come from that. So, Alpha, please some kind of answer to this question? Will there be a list of "plusses" that v12 offers us towards v11 divided into the app sections?

Comment

Marcel

The additional capabilities of Alpha Anywhere (v12) vs v11 are laid out here http://alphasoftware.com/features.asp
        and here http://news.alphasoftware.com/V12Pre...seNotesV12.htm
        some videos are shown here http://alphaanywherevideos.blogspot.com/

what else are you looking for?
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

Richard, what I (and I assume many others?) am looking for is a comparison table, versions 11 and 12 side by side, columns divided into Desktop, WCD, Web, Mobile, and for each row a feature that v12 has, but v11 has not. So that you can get an overview at one page. This is really a quite common thing to do when a new software version is released.

Unfortunately, the layouts where you refer to are not very suited to create an overview for customers. For instance, if you talk about huge improvements in xbasic, one asks himself: "Nice, what exactly is added?".
          If you say (either here on the forum in a statement, or on the website): "there are huge improvements for WCD" then I would like to see what exactly those are.
          A table with the differences could make all the difference to those questions. And I know of course you can't mention EVERY small thing in xbasic that is changed, but you could mention the most important ones.
          And this goes for all other differences as well.

At this moment, there is only a blurry understanding about what v12 brings that v11 does not. I think a lot of v11 users that are considering upgrading are looking for more detailed information. Nothing better than putting them on a list one would think ?

Comment

Nothing better than putting them on a list one would think ?
            Again, judging by the release notes, v12 is ALL about mobile. But, yes, a comparison table would clear up any doubts or confusion. However, if all the new features are mobile, there wouldn't be any point in showing a comparison of say, new desktop features, since it would be silly to have a blank column. As far as "huge improvements in xbasic", again, that may be true (based upon the release notes) for mobile/UX control. So I think you are fishing in waters barren of certain kinds of new fish. There seems to be only one big new fish in the pond and that is mobile.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

If that is true Peter (which I can not quite confirm, nor believe for that matter) than this would be an enormous hoot. I don't think Alpha would be that silly. No matter how you see it, Alpha has 3 "functional groups": [1] Desktop [2] Web and [3] Mobile. As experience learns, most developers focus on either one of those although they might work on other groups as well. If you want a successful upgrade, you need to make sure there is something to gain for ALL of them. [3] Mobile is even completely NEW: there ARE no existing customers that have mobile since it did not exist previously. So, if there is only mobile added in v12, you are offering NOTHING worthwhile for the other two groups besides those who want to shift to Mobile. That would be as daft as it is implausible. I simply do not believe it. That does not sound like Alpha at all. So I have to believe there are also many new features in either web or desktop.
              If there is not, then I doubt many existing users will upgrade and it would mean Alpha is heavily gambling on new users. I see little chance of success for that in this economy.
              Why would Alpha take that risk by not offering any improvements/new features to existing customers? I don't think so.

But anyway, your post (and mine) proves that such a list is REALLY necessary: you even think there ARE NOT any improvements for some sections! From a marketing point of view that is a weak position. and it proves there is work to do, there are customers to inform!

Comment

I can only speculate that implementing mobile required all of Alpha's resources and they wanted to get v12 out asap. Have they abandoned the desktop? I sure hope not. If 40-50% of your existing user base is desktop (or even if it is only 20%) it would be foolish to abandon those users. Many users use both desktop & web (including me), so I hope Alpha doesn't miscalculate.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  I can only speculate that implementing mobile required all of Alpha's resources and they wanted to get v12 out asap. Have they abandoned the desktop? I sure hope not. If 40-50% of your existing user base is desktop (or even if it is only 20%) it would be foolish to abandon those users. Many users use both desktop & web (including me), so I hope Alpha doesn't miscalculate.
                  Indeed. If 50 percent actually would be desktop, and v12 does not offer anything for them, they instantly would have thrown away half of their upgrade-potential, leaving the other 50 percent for the web users. Would there be not much for them either, then who would ever upgrade to v12 from v11 ? The few who would like to have added mobile functionality. I don't think that number is going to pass 10 percent.
                  So if Alpha really did it that way, they can forget upgrade turnover and are completely left to new customers initially purchasing v12. I would say that would be a HUGE banana-peel on the floor for Alpha.
                  With all those highly praised new people in the company I can not believe someone did not notice that. I keep believing there must be significantly more to v12 than only UX-Mobile.

Comment

Marcel - you are too funny... do you truly believe there have been any significant features added to desktop development? ;)

Given the hue and cry over desktop these past months and nothing in the way of response to it, gives us the answer. Seen any new videos touting new desktop features? WCD was introduced in 10.5 and continued into 11, I am doubting much is new there either.

I am with Peter on this one, the focus has been mobile and that's where the changes are noticed. If you are a mobile developer its all good, if you are desktop/WCD person not so much.
                    Regards,

John W.
                    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
                      Marcel - you are too funny... do you truly believe there have been any significant features added to desktop development? ;)

Given the hue and cry over desktop these past months and nothing in the way of response to it, gives us the answer. Seen any new videos touting new desktop features? WCD was introduced in 10.5 and continued into 11, I am doubting much is new there either.

I am with Peter on this one, the focus has been mobile and that's where the changes are noticed. If you are a mobile developer its all good, if you are desktop/WCD person not so much.
                      Well John, as I have explained I indeed have a hard time believing Alpha would come with a major upgrade that would add nothing to the desktop in comparison with its predecessor. It's possible, but I can't really imagine that. For instance: In mobile, the UX-component has been added. Can it be used in working preview mode (thus: in WCD!)? The proclaimed huge improvements in xbasic. What are they exactly? I don't know about you, but I use it that a lot for scripts and functions. If the improvements in xbasic are important enough, those alone could be a reason to upgrade.

Of course I don't disagree with you guys that mobile had focus. This however does not necessarily have to mean as a form of causal relationship that there is NOTHING worthwhile for desktop or web. It could be... but really guys... I doubt it. Honestly. Who would ever invest so much time and effort in a product that is hardly an upgrade candidate (thus throwing your money from upgrading existing customers in the bin) ?

There has always been something worthwhile in every version from 0 to 11 for all groups. Never ever has there been a release that had NO significant improvements for either one of the areas. Even when Web was introduced, there was something for Desktop as well. It simply does not sound like Alpha to now do it completely different and hang themselves up on new customer turnover only. Really sounds too silly.

But the list that I asked for could make an end to all of these "guesses" by simply stating what the new improvements for all of the sections were. I don't even think it is some special request or something. It's a normal question I would say. Even if you go buy the new model of your car, you would ask "So what's new on this one?" and the car salesman would have extensive info on what was new (I hear DaveM coming!).

The fact that people seem to think there is nothing new in v12 that's any relevant to either web or desktop alone shows that such a list is in dire need.

And.... WCD was not introduced with 10.5. What was introduced was the possibility to use webcomponents on forms. I doubt that even Alpha at that time understood that it meant you could build whole applications even WITHOUT forms..... I guess this gem sort of "popped-up" on them. I am not alone if I say, that WCD might prove to be a bigger cash-magnet for Alpha (if marketed appropriately) then mobile will ever be. But they don't really seem to pick up on it, amazingly so.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                        Indeed. If 50 percent actually would be desktop, and v12 does not offer anything for them, they instantly would have thrown away half of their upgrade-potential, leaving the other 50 percent for the web users. Would there be not much for them either, then who would ever upgrade to v12 from v11 ? The few who would like to have added mobile functionality. I don't think that number is going to pass 10 percent.
                        So if Alpha really did it that way, they can forget upgrade turnover and are completely left to new customers initially purchasing v12. I would say that would be a HUGE banana-peel on the floor for Alpha.
                        With all those highly praised new people in the company I can not believe someone did not notice that. I keep believing there must be significantly more to v12 than only UX-Mobile.

f you really want to achieve something with WCD at Alpha Software management must prove the existence of names of developers, customers and working examples including ALL features, then get a chance they listen otherwise not happen and that is not free. Do not create too high expectations and just waiting for the list that Richard has promised and then fingers crossed that it gets up enough written for the desktop! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post

f you really want to achieve something with WCD at Alpha Software management must prove the existence of names of developers, customers and working examples including ALL features, then get a chance they listen otherwise not happen and that is not free. Do not create too high expectations and just waiting for the list that Richard has promised and then fingers crossed that it gets up enough written for the desktop! Good luck
                          Hi Eric, sorry man, but I don't have a clue as to what you just said.... I would say that's because I'm Dutch but.....

Bedoel je dat IK met een lijst met ontwikkelaars, klanten en projecten moet komen zodat ZIJ zien dat het voor HUN waardevol is? Dacht het niet. Als ze dat zelf niet zien, dan houdt het op. Dat is niet mijn verlies want ik werk er nu al mee en ik kan daar prima mee vooruit. Het zou voor Alpha echter een goeie winstkans zijn denk ik. Die ouwe desktop is toch aan zijn pensioen toe, hoe je het wendt of keert. Maar goed, dat is niet eens mijn vraag in deze thread, ik wil gewoon een lijssie met nieuwe dingen in v12. Wil kunnen beoordelen of er iets voor mij inzit. Lijkt mij toch geen gekke vraag Eric?

Comment

alpha anywhere (v12) is NOt just about Mobile

That is why it is called Alpha Anywhere

It represents an enormous amount of work on the part of our development team and boasts major improvements across the board for desktop and web application development.

While there has been plenty written about the extensive list of mobile features in Alpha Anywhere, we want to stress just how much work has been done for the desktop and the web as well.

Alpha Anywhere marks the introduction of the brand new UX Component, improvements to the Grid Component
                            A new JavaScript editor including auto-complete, new actions in Action JavaScript, tremendous enhancements to Reports, improved xbasic, improved Charting, and much more.

Touch

When we talk about mobile applications, what we really should be saying is touch applications. Through a new breed of touch enabled computing devices , touch has come to the desktop and the web. With the introduction of Alpha Anywhere, we've made it simple to update your existing applications to include a touch enabled user experience no matter what device your user's are on. .

UX Component

One of the major overhauls that took place between v11 and Alpha Anywhere is the new UX Component. Essentially, the UX Component is the v11 Dialog Component on steroids, chock-full of powerful new functionality, sophisticated control types and lots new features. Most of what we've added to the UX Component can be applied to your existing desktop and web apps.

New in Reporting: HTML, PDF, Excel, and More

With Alpha Anywhere, you can display your reports as HTML, PDF or both. With lightning fast performance, HTML reports vastly enhance the user experience while PDF reports provide total control over how your report appears when it’s printed. In addition to HTML and PDF, your data can be exported directly to Excel, Word, and ASCII with the full structure of a report definition—including live Excel formulae. Learn more about what's new in Reports.
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

A very personal essay on Alpha Anywhere has just been posted by Dan Bricklin http://www.bricklin.com/alphaanywherematters.htm
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

I am going to leave that one alone.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X