Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How about a community version of Alpha Anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a community version of Alpha Anywhere?

Hi, all!

I used to use Alpha Five way back in Version 7. It's clear that the platform has advanced by leaps and bounds since then. I'm very much interested in trying out Alpha Anywhere, but the new pricing scheme is way out of reach for me, and the 30-day trial is too short for a slow-witted newbie like me.

What I'd like to ask is, how about a community or express version of Alpha Anywhere (and all subsequent releases), with a free perpetual license restricted to non-commercial use and say 5 concurrent users?

The obvious virtue of a community version is that it would give a LOT more people a chance to try out and appreciate the software. At least some of them are bound to need the paid version sooner or later. To adapt Joel Spolsky, it's "much easier to figure out how to extract a large amount of money out of a large number of users rather than to extract a large amount of money out of a small amount of users". Doesn't Microsoft do just that? (Not that you want to be Microsoft, of course. :) )

What do you think, guys?
    Jim

Re: How about a community version of Alpha Anywhere?

"In the long run, we think it�s much easier to figure out how to extract a small amount of money out of a large number of users than to extract a large amount of money out of a small number of users."

(i like the trello interface, too)

and love the idea of community version since i use this for my own business not commercial use
    the price will be perfect.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by jmatienza View Post
      Hi, all!
      What I'd like to ask is, how about a community or express version of Alpha Anywhere (and all subsequent releases), with a free perpetual license restricted to non-commercial use and say 5 concurrent users?
      What do you think, guys?
      I fully agree! I have various Non Profit groups that I am part of that I would dearly love to create little Alpha Web/Mobile Apps for... but yes, the pricing model (even even at v11 pricing) that it is simply not viable.

This is true also for small businesses, I have any many small business clients that currently have Access databases that would love to move to the web... but the cost of entry is simply too high. The cost of Windows Server hosting is too high in itself and now that you have you have to add in a WAS monthly subscription cost, A5 is missing out of a huge market out there.
      A shared hosting model, or Cloud model is what is needed. I have already asked Richard to talk to Zebra Host and see what products they could come up with. I am sure they will come up with a Alpha WAS cloud product... but I don't know how far that is away.

As an example of what should be offered by Alpha Software/Zebra Host. With Access and Office365. (Cloud bases SharePoint) You can get an Access database online for $6 per user per month, any you can easily get away with only the one user. That! you can sell to a small Mom and Pop shop or Non Profit.

Bruce

Comment

Hi, Gandhi!

Yeah, that's what Joel Spolsky really said. (Trello is really nice, isn't it?) But since we're dealing here with software that (unlike Trello) people can build their livelihood on and whose makers are therefore entitled to fair compensation, I modified the quote.

By the way, even if you don't sell your Alpha-powered app, using it only internally for your business, from what I understand, it could still be considered commercial use.

What I'm interested in is getting a fully-functioning version (OK, even if for only a few concurrent users) for purely personal, non-profit use, or hobby use, or for very slow learners (like me). If I'm able to make a working app, and decide I want to use it in a business, why, I'm perfectly willing to pay for the appropriate license.

But to pay hundreds of dollars when I'm not sure what I'll end up with is too high a price. But I just want to know if I can do something with it, who knows?

I think everyone (especially Alpha) would benefit if they charged for deploying or distributing apps, but not for learning and developing.
        Last edited by jmatienza; 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM. Reason: To expand the thought
        Jim

Comment

Some kind of "Education" version of A5 had been at the back of my mind for quite some time.

The benefits of having such a version ... even possibly to the extent of supplying free to schools and colleges for their in-house PCs ... is to expose the kids at an early age, which may then translate to commercial sales, once they enter the workforce.

The danger is abuse. How many Education versions of MS Office abound on computers that are obviously "not for educational purposes"?

Comment

Originally posted by Paullm View Post
            The benefits of having such a version ... even possibly to the extent of supplying free to schools and colleges for their in-house PCs ... is to expose the kids at an early age, which may then translate to commercial sales, once they enter the workforce.

The danger is abuse. How many Education versions of MS Office abound on computers that are obviously "not for educational purposes"?
            Hi, Paul.

Free is exactly what I'm looking at. Looking at Microsoft's "Express" editions of its Visual Studio and SQL Server products, for example, I'm wondering why Alpha can't do the same.

I think Alpha can provide a free version that can be used to create fully functioning apps, yet reserve some features (mainly having to do with scalability and professional conveniences) to those who would actually need them (i.e., those who can pay).

We can even call it a freemium model, which is what Microsoft's model amounts to, more or less.

The point is not to worry about abuse at this point (which of course is a possibility), but rather how to get the software into the most hands as possible, and get increased sales therefrom.
            Jim

Comment

there are two (unassociated to MS) that come to mind. One has it where you can build it on a 60 day trial and keep it as a freebe from now on, but you can't deploy it except on your own computer. The other is free period, but for support you pay a fee(It also involves heavy coding and has something similar to the was which is also free) and only runs on win7 and up.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Jose,

All companies need to worry about potential abuse of their products/licensing! Whether it's AS ... or us guys creating and distributing applications written in A5.

Comment

Yeah, I have had a couple hacked up. In fact, several by users messing around.

Pretty sure one was by an alpha user that used to be on this board. He signed in with his own copy of alpha and worked on a bunch of stuff, but the giveaway was when he worked on a script and forgot his name would get stuck there. I got the app back from the client and then gave the client an update that put it back to original with a lot tighter system than he had before. He also got a small bill.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Paullm View Post
                    Jose,

All companies need to worry about potential abuse of their products/licensing! Whether it's AS ... or us guys creating and distributing applications written in A5.
                    Hi, Paul! Point taken.

I should have said that with a somewhat reduced feature set (mainly regarding scaling and developer conveniences), you would also reduce the number of abusers (those who use it for commercial apps) to an acceptable level, while maximizing the exposure of the platform to potential future purchasers.

The goal is not users = buyers, but users >>>>> buyers. At least for a while. :)
                    Last edited by jmatienza; 07-01-2013, 01:32 AM. Reason: For increased clarity
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jmatienza View Post
                      Hi, Paul.

Free is exactly what I'm looking at. Looking at Microsoft's "Express" editions of its Visual Studio and SQL Server products, for example, I'm wondering why Alpha can't do the same.

I think Alpha can provide a free version that can be used to create fully functioning apps, yet reserve some features (mainly having to do with scalability and professional conveniences) to those who would actually need them (i.e., those who can pay).

We can even call it a freemium model, which is what Microsoft's model amounts to, more or less.

The point is not to worry about abuse at this point (which of course is a possibility), but rather how to get the software into the most hands as possible, and get increased sales therefrom.
                      I think Microsoft can afford to give away free versions of SQL Server, I am not Sure Alpha Software has quite the same depth to their pockets :)
                      But who knows, maybe they will come up with some Non Profit pricing or some limited functionality versions.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwibruce View Post
                        I think Microsoft can afford to give away free versions of SQL Server, I am not Sure Alpha Software has quite the same depth to their pockets :)
                        But who knows, maybe they will come up with some Non Profit pricing or some limited functionality versions.
                        I do not think this will happen "free software for non-profit schools and education". The ease of use is in the feature packs and a beginner who has definitely need to learn can not do without. Free does not exist so the end user and developer will pay?

Comment

Explore Visual Paradigm Community and TOAD freebies.
                          I use these and have got clients to buy them. Some are expensive, but the learning curve is well worth it.
                          Last edited by Ted Giles; 07-01-2013, 03:57 PM.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

What purpose would a community version of the software serve? I mean, come on, do you expect your Alpha run-time users to suddenly turn around to you and say - "Well I can't figure it out, one minute it is telling me that Y follows X and that Z should appear in short notice - the next thing I know is that B is O ll O XX - So therefore I have decided that I am going to give you a blank cheque to fix the nonsense I have managed to create for myself - silly me...
                            Get smart and quickly you diehard alphaholics - Alpha as you knew and loved it is now in their death throes...
                            I don't expect this to be published therefore am copying for my sanity. Such as it is

Comment

Thank you for your insight Paul. I have doubts that you are as close to your sanity as you think you might be.
                              I caught the comment before it was pulled (and therfore only availble to us old hackers) , and Richard is not a friend as you suggest, although we did go to different schools together.
                              Lighten up, get a hobby, take up knitting or better still engage in lively debate - off Forum - with Marcel.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X