Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Clarification on Alpha Anywhere V12 licensing

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clarification on Alpha Anywhere V12 licensing

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
    Marcel, could you elaborate a teeney bit on

Code:
    Of lately I have been heavily involved in connecting Alpha to API's using RESTful statements and under the OAuth2.0 protocol. If there is a need for something to explore, I will do so. If not, it needs to wait until time allows.
    Also, my experience has been that if you are an existing (and especially long time) customer, they will negotiate with you.
    Yes Martin. I have been working on modules and functions that can connect (any) Alpha Five v11 application with Google Calendar. The modules can request authorization and refresh tokens under OAuth2.0 and with that get access to the user calendar to add secondary calendars or task lists. Functions allow for creating new events in calendars and new tasks in the defined lists. Also, the functions will check the calendar for a free time slot before adding the event and will warn the user when a conflicting entry occurs. This all works with RESTful statements that call upon Google API's available on the Google Server. All functions can be called from either grids or forms. There is a video about it in the Alpha Blog.

Comment

Hi Martin,

I think the negotiations are over. According to Richard, Alpha was supposed to release special pricing to existing users but from what I understand, the pricing is the same as the pricing for new customers. Maybe Richard will speak to this. Unless your into web and mobile, v12 is a total waste of money and not a wise investment because the only way to get upgrades is to resubscribe every year and that is cost prohibitive. The DT should NOT have been part of v12 unless one is going to use web components as the DT. As such, Alpha is not promoting that and that is a shame, It's being totally ignored.
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Well ...... let's wait and see what happens in a few months - we may start seeing some "special offers"

depends on sales, of course
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Williams View Post
          I am still confused on the licensing of Alpha Anywhere v12. I haven't seen anything definitive on this (at least that is clear to me).

I have a Developer, Runtime and Application Server license for v11 and use them all for our internal application. We do not market this app as it is tailored to our business.

If I choose to stay with v11, I can continue to utilize the existing software forever without any additional fees.

If I upgrade all of the above to v12 am I committing myself to a monthly licensing fee for Application Server to Alpha Software forever?

NO YOU ARE NOT - there are two fundamental approaches - a perpetual approach similar to v11 and a subscription approach - it is your choice - please email sales for more information and Also an email will be sent explaining this in detail

Do any of the Alpha Anywhere products require an ongoing monthly or yearly licensing fee for continued use?

I would like to get this clarified before I make the investment.

Thanks
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Well, since this thread actually is NOT closed or deleted (yet) maybe a good place to state, that I have just read in ANOTHER thread here (which IS now closed) that indeed Alpha is making a change in its pricing/licensing policies and that we will hear about it by mail in the coming days somewhere. It is supposed to also introduce the 'historic license system' besides the 'subscription license system' for v12.
            Which would mean that Alpha is coming back on its statements until now that v12 would only be available through subscription.
            With a bit of luck (but we seem to have worn out on that lately) this will also mean that there will be an option for those who had rather not subscripted if they had known that there would actually be another way of obtaining v12 as well.
            Unfortunately, this new 'historic license option' does not yet mean that the price for it will be something to celebrate. We will need to wait to see what it exactly is that Alpha is changing.
            Last edited by mronck; 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Read post 19 Marcel.
              Richard's explanation is very clear. As it is on Alphas "Buy" page. Both options are available. Even WAS .
              I have received the pricing for existing users.
              As you have pointed out, the benefits of upgrading will depend on circumstances and requirements.

To summarise - very little (read nothing!) extra for XB desktop. More for Web on desktop. Most with mobile.
              I do see the advantage of some new UX features, including improved charting that can be implemented with DT.

Comment

I think you are missing the point here Ray. Read this post from Richard Rabins from today. That may explain things. There is a change coming. Until today, there was only the perpetual option for the Application Server. Not for the Developer. That seems to change now. Besides the subscription, the "historical license system" will come to live again for v12.

Comment

Yes Marcel you are correct. I saw Richards 10:03 am post but not the 10:12 am one
                  Also has that vague promise you mentioned before "Major enhancements to xbasic"

Comment

This is like three people seeing the same thing but yet have 3 different descriptions. I never took it that way. I understood it to meanv11 licenses and only v11 licenses. As far as the AS web site is concerned, it sells what it says and it says nothing about the DT. Since Alpha's biggest base is the DT, would it not be prudent yo get those folks on board instead of sending them to the competition? To me, that is BASIC business philosophy.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Yeah well, you almost at no time tell anything I would disagree with Ken, exactly so in this case: I agree. However, I did not see anything of a stable well balanced business philosophy in the past half year. It is all shooting from the hip and most of the time doing that you miss the target. I think when you basically want to do a complete overhaul on your existing licensing/pricing scheme you should heavily invest in communications with your customers, discuss things and try to get a solution out that all are happy with. You can't just go and dictate whatever illusions you have to your customers. The time is not right for that, and besides, software developers are not the dumbest folks on the planet although exceptions are known to exist

Comment

So if I buy the perputual license with 1-year subscription, after a year, I lose updates. So whatever bug fixes come out after that year, you don't get???? Not even MS Windows makes you pay for bug fixes after a set time. Surely there is a way to avoid this unfortunate circumstance.
                        David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Originally posted by davidv43 View Post
                          So if I buy the perputual license with 1-year subscription, after a year, I lose updates. So whatever bug fixes come out after that year, you don't get???? Not even MS Windows makes you pay for bug fixes after a set time. Surely there is a way to avoid this unfortunate circumstance.
                          I would be very helpful if the term Perpetual license wasn't used because, either way you buy it, it is a perpetual license. they only difference I can see is that a subscription gets you any add-ons such as the feature packs in v11. Both get bug fixes and upgrades for a year, unless you bought a 2 or 3 year subscription. Once a subscription runs out, you can still use the product plus any add-ons. You just don't get an new add-ons unless they are bought separately or you purchase a another subscription.

As far as bug fixes go, Alpha has never stated a policy on that other than if you have a subscription or within the first year of the A La Carte purchase.

Comment

With v11 bug fixes and the updates are all rolled into one. With v12 it seems you won't get bug fixes after the first year unless you keep paying.

Comment

We have announced some new pricing and licensing options that are designed to address as many of scenarios that people have raised as possible

Details are here

Alpha Anywhere (Alpha Five v12) is the flagship of the company and clearly that is where the focus of the company will be.
                              Alpha Anywhere does not require a subscription (that is optional)
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                              X