Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five v12 question for Alpha Software

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Alpha Software,
    I am happy that after three years of work you finally rolled out Alpha Five v12. Although I still have not had the occasion to try it, in all probability it is a terrific product. At the moment, I have Alpha Five v11 Developer, Runtime and Server and would love to upgrade from v11 to v12. After reading your website's Buy page, I would be grateful if you could clarify, with a straightforward Yes/No, the following doubt that I have:

If I purchase an Alpha Five Developer v12 One Year Term License, and a year and a day after purchasing Microsoft makes a modification to its Windows operating system that causes my Alpha Five Developer v12 not to function properly, will Alpha Software provide me with the fixes? (It is clear to me that access to any enhancements, such as new features, is terminated after my one year period).

I would also be grateful for a Yes/No answer regarding the Alpha Anywhere Application Server, under the same circumstances.

Best regards,
    Felix
    Last edited by Rida Alhasan; 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM.

Dear All,
    This inquiry has not been answered, maybe because:
    A) Alpha Software values it as unimportant or not relevant
    B) Alpha Software considers that the answer has already been stated in its website, forums ...
    C) The question has not been clearly expressed or is ambiguous

As the issue is of value to me, if the cause of it not being answered is "B" (the answer has already been stated), I would appreciate if somebody could indicate where information on the matter can be found.

Thank you,
    Felix

Comment

Re: Alpha Five v12 question for Alpha Software

I would say 'd' they don't know the answer and will cross that bridge when they come to it. Do remember how long it took to get an answer to v10/10.5 being compatible with Win v8. It was not and many of us were forced to buy A5v11 because of it.
      Regards,

John W.
      www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Felix, your question is a bit more complex than it seems and it stems from the fact that everyone has different subscription start and end dates. For example, if v12 spans several years, then many subscribers who stopped subscribing during that time period could conceivably each be using an official release or release candidate of v12 with slightly (or vastly) different features and fixes. Would that mean that Alpha would be expected to apply the Windows fix to each version being used? I don't think so.

One way your scenario could be addressed, I think reasonably so, is for Alpha to charge a fee for the "new Windows fixed version" to each former subscriber depending on how long their subscription had lapsed. For example, if the normal monthly subscription rate is $100 and your subscription had lapsed for 3 months, then you would be charged no more than $300 for the upgrade, which would include all new features up to that point (hopefully at some discount to that). If your subscription had lapsed for 14 months, then the most you have to pay, obviously, is a one year's subscription. Again, hopefully there would be some discounting for existing customers.

Comment

Hi Tom,
          In the case being exposed, no new features or enhancements are requested nor expected. What is asked is that the product continue to function properly, as before the theoretical Windows modification was introduced.

Of course, you make a valid point. Let us suppose that after Microsoft modifies the Windows OS, fonts in Alpha Five Developer v12 are all color red. If my Alpha Five Developer v12 has 1000 features and somebody else's has 995 features (because his subscription terminated, say, a month before mine), then the Alpha Five patch should fix our common red color fonts problem, leaving us with 1000 features and 995 features, respectively.

I suppose that is what Alpha Five does with v11. If somebody purchases the base Alpha Five Developer v11 and another person purchases the base plus a feature pack, the red color font fix would leave both installations functioning properly, the first one still with only the base and the second with the base plus the feature pack. The difference between v11 and v12 is that in v12 it seems there are no independent feature packs (I'm not really sure about this) so maybe it would mean some technical difficulties for Alpha Software.

The thing is, I'd like to have my Alpha Five Developer v12 functioning properly, regardless of modifications in Windows (or MySQL, for that matter), just like my v11.

Regards,
          Felix

Comment

Neither Microsoft nor Alpha can be beholden to the other. Both will make the best effort to keep things running. As a developer you have to expect that new versions - of your tools or the underlying OS - are going to break things. You aren't buying clip art software or a home accounting package. Alpha is a serious professional tool and it comes with serious professional tool expectations on both sides - developer and provider. Development tools that have subscriptions are very clear. If you are a part of the program you get fixes, if you are not a current subscriber then you must live at the mercy of the environment. I have subs to at least 5 other tools and they all operate the same way. If my sub is current, I get the fixes. If not, I hope for the kindness of the tool provider to give me something out of a desire to get it running. Alpha has always been kind.

There is no way that Alpha or anyone can guarantee future platform events. Have you ever developed with any other vendors? How about Adobe? They launch and kill platforms at the drop of a hat. Liked Flash Mobile? - whoops sorry. All of the majors have a history of changing pricing, changing programs, killing software. Go take a look at the message boards on Adobe switching CS suite to a subscription model. The point is - developer tools are a rough business; things change quickly.

It is also unrealistic that they should be held responsible for changes the dev made to his or her machine. I have machines running windows 2000 because the very unique tools I need only work on Windows 2000. If there is a change to Windows, you as the maintainer of that environment, need to decide whether or not to change to the newer version of windows. Do the benefits of the change outweigh the costs? Every update Tuesday, I have to monitor the Microsoft hotfixes to see what will break existing software and what won't on hundreds of machines. That is the norm of the industry.

I don't mean to pile on but the bottom line is that while I, like many, think the current pricing model is untenable, there has to be reasonable expectations of Alpha. Expecting them to have bug fixes for other companies' changes forever is not realistic.

My answer is that I would expect that Alpha make the best effort possible but you as the user, should expect to the onus to be on you and not expect Alpha to take care of it. If they do, be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Michael,
              Yes, your reasoning is solid. In a subscription model, once your subscription ends (or the tool developer drops the product or goes out of business) you have to "hope for the best and prepare for the worst". In previous versions of Alpha Five Developer, such as v11, we had the option of buying instead of subscribing, and if the "environment" became unfriendly, Alpha Software would be kind to us.

In any case, I'd be grateful if Alpha Software stated in this thread, in a clear and unambiguous manner, something like:
              Yes, we will provide you with the necessary patches even after the subscription period has ended so that your installation will keep functioning properly, (although no more features or enhancements) during: the product's lifetime/two years after your subscription ends/till Avatar II.

No, once your subscription period is over, its over.

Regards,
              Felix

Comment

I think Alpha has made it pretty clear that the answer is "NO". if you want updates to v12, you will need a subscription. If one is solely a Dt user, there is no need to upgrade to v12 since v11 will still be supported, which means there are no enhancements for the DT in v12, It’s the same as v11. The only difference between v11 and v12 DT is that the v11 feature packs are included in v12.
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rida Alhasan View Post
                  Dear Alpha Software,
                  I am happy that after three years of work you finally rolled out Alpha Five v12. Although I still have not had the occasion to try it, in all probability it is a terrific product.

IMO and based on people who were active in beta testing - it is pretty terrific - btw here is a brand new video of examples http://vimeo.com/69909140

At the moment, I have Alpha Five v11 Developer, Runtime and Server and would love to upgrade from v11 to v12. After reading your website's Buy page, I would be grateful if you could clarify, with a straightforward Yes/No, the following doubt that I have:

If I purchase an Alpha Five Developer v12 One Year Term License, and a year and a day after purchasing Microsoft makes a modification to its Windows operating system that causes my Alpha Five Developer v12 not to function properly, will Alpha Software provide me with the fixes? (It is clear to me that access to any enhancements, such as new features, is terminated after my one year period).

I would also be grateful for a Yes/No answer regarding the Alpha Anywhere Application Server, under the same circumstances.

In the scenario described - ie Microsoft makes some change that causes Alpha not to work in Windows 9 relative soon after your your access to updates/new features expires - Yes will make this fix available to you.

There will be mailing going out tomorrow or friday that explains that Alpha Anywhere (v12) is available two ways.

historical license model - you buy it (developer / runtime/ app server) and you have a perpetual license with 12 months of updates / new features etc. You can continue to use everything indefinitely

or

you go for the subscription model and you get continuous updates/ new features

Best regards,
                  Felix
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                    I think Alpha has made it pretty clear that the answer is "NO". if you want updates to v12, you will need a subscription. If one is solely a Dt user, there is no need to upgrade to v12 since v11 will still be supported, which means there are no enhancements for the DT in v12, It’s the same as v11. The only difference between v11 and v12 DT is that the v11 feature packs are included in v12.
                    Ken - with all due respect - your statement about about no enhancement for the DT in v12 is just not consistent with the facts.
                    Yes if you are building browser based or mobile applications - Alpha Anywhere gives you massive benefits.
                    BUT even for DT users there are important benefits.

For example -

Major enhancements to xbasic
                    Reporting - now reports can also be html - with the ability to export Word, Excel, Text with formatting and formulas (for excel)
                    Reporting - other enhancements
                    Tremendous enhancements to components that can be used on the Desktop.
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                    X