Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ver 11 will run OK until Windows [x] release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ver 11 will run OK until Windows [x] release

What Windows operating systems support Alpha Five?

Alpha Five and the Application Server will run on Windows 2000, XP (Home or Professional), 2003, Vista, 2008, and 7. Each user must have registry-writing privileges. Under Windows XP this means the user must be an administrator or power user. Alpha Five runs as a 32 bit application under 64 bit versions of Windows.
    this is from their description for version 11. windows 8 is not listed.
    i want to stress to you that i do not want to be labelled as defender of alpha. but merely stating don't get very upset with that message. just advice your customers to check with you before upgrading anything. then something will not work and they want it to be fixed yesterday or the day before.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Many Alpha developers are running A5V10- Anywhere V12 under Windows 8 without any critical issues.
      Further Alpha Anywhere is build with V2010 or VS2012 if there where any OS level issues Alphateam would have fixed this in the beta or even before the offical kick-off to customers

Hope this helps

Comment

The only reason I purchased V11 was because I was told V10 would not run on Windows 8. I purchased V12 Anywhere under the assumption it would run even better under Win 8 and found out the V12 is no different than V11. Its exactly the same.

Comment

when win 8 first came out, v10 had a real problem. Not sure which changed v10 or probably win8 relaxed some due to pressure from many companies and users of legacy apps.

Comment

Windows 8 did not have a problem. It fully loaded A5 which gave the "Not Licensed for this.. " message and shuts down.
            Read the posts before barging in, people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
              Windows 8 did not have a problem. It fully loaded A5 which gave the "Not Licensed for this.. " message and shuts down.
              Ray,

Your saying V12 under Windows 8 not even started during the Beta program period? thats's wird so to speak, but will it will load and there is a A5 error message "Not Licensed for this.. " and goodbye! m......

Comment

Seriously Eric !
                READ all posts before you misquote me. I did not at any stage say that. Nothing to do with V12 OR Beta - that you made up.
                Quote me absolutely, but from my own posts otherwise it's not what I said.

Comment

That conversation goes back to the beginning ex post #13- an older client themselves upgrading to WIN8
                  With reference to my posts #4 and #6.
                  As sent to me, the attached screenshot is what MY client got first, running v10 with WIN 8. Before I got them to run in XP compatibility
                  It appears not a WIN compatibility issue but Alpha redirecting client to themselves for a required upgrade.
                  In South Africa we have a saying "you are picking up stompies" - stompies is the last of the cigarette butt that is tossed on the street.

Comment

in nederland is die gesegde e hoef nie so vel te reageer op 'n normale vraag en nie direk uit jou plaat te gaan, n�rens voor nodig as jy my ten minste verstaan​​, soek die lekker self uit. Goeie atmosfeer hier op die forum die laaste maande, ek het wel wat anders om te doen vandag en m�re ook sukses!
                    Last edited by bea2701; 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Jammer as jy het die verkeerde begrip.
                      I'm simply factual. Important to clarify that it is not v11 nor v12 that (presently) has a problem with the latest WINx

What I am having difficulty getting across is, that users will upgrade their systems over time and will expect to re-install their legally purchased software.
                      A problem with big change in Windows we cannot predict, and MS failing to run the software could occur. . .

But me building in a silent check, that if they use a newer operating system than they originally installed on, I WILL LOCK THEM OUT WITHOUT WARNING. DISABLING their business. Stating that they are not licensed and must now upgrade - is BAAAAD practice. Insulting - Accusing them of contravening licence.
                      Now, I didn't do that to them - but it appears that way. I am intermediary. They did not choose to deal with Alpha.

WIN 8 had not appeared at the time of v10.5 - Alpha could only state in the version (if any at all) that it hadn't been tested beyond WINx
                      Unilaterally locking a business out of their software at any time is a serious business.
                      Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

If you will recall we have a number of posts raising the issue of V10.5 not being compatible with Win 8. Alpha finally said it was not and gave us an upgrade path to v11. It was because of that I purchased the v11 license. Some were doing compatibility mode when running it (v10.5) but I needed something with off the shelf compatibility. If v10.5 is now fully Win 8 compatible that is a good thing.
                        Regards,

John W.
                        www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Jammer as jy het die verkeerde begrip.
                          I'm simply factual. Important to clarify that it is not v11 nor v12 that (presently) has a problem with the latest WINx

What I am having difficulty getting across is, that users will upgrade their systems over time and will expect to re-install their legally purchased software.
                          A problem with big change in Windows we cannot predict, and MS failing to run the software could occur. . .

But me building in a silent check, that if they use a newer operating system than they originally installed on, I WILL LOCK THEM OUT WITHOUT WARNING. DISABLING their business. Stating that they are not licensed and must now upgrade - is BAAAAD practice. Insulting - Accusing them of contravening licence.
                          Now, I didn't do that to them - but it appears that way. I am intermediary. They did not choose to deal with Alpha.

WIN 8 had not appeared at the time of v10.5 - Alpha could only state in the version (if any at all) that it hadn't been tested beyond WINx
                          Unilaterally locking a business out of their software at any time is a serious business.
                          Yes now you that wrote it sounds quite different and distinct. Your client is outraged he uses W8 and the application no longer works. Neither party is to blame for this except time. Alpha Software is not to blame and not Microsoft and this case including yourself, so that's a relief. If you have V12 runtime Desktop, create a version for your client and install it on Windows 8 computers. Problem solved and your customer happy. Alpha Software itself indicates that this works and supports. I would just let the customer pay for software update and the time that you use that is very normal and then they make their own choice.

Comment

As I stated above.

When windows 8 came out, they had very strict policies built in. Over the past year, those restrictions have laxed a bit to allow more of the older apps to work.

What happens when win9 comes out? Nobody knows yet including ms. I suspect.

Comment

Ray, calm down. Maybe it was not a "problem" but what Alsie says is true, based on my experience with win8 and v10. That is, even in compatibility mode I initially had trouble with v10 and v10.5 until after about a million (or was it 35?) windows updates got applied and then I had no problems and have been able to run a number of old programs that weren't around even for win7.

But, I agree with you about Alpha's "not Licensed.. " message. There is no excuse for that--other than it being a means of getting people to pay for an upgrade to v11 or 12. I suspect, but do not claim to know, that without that message mucking things up V10 would run fine in win8 without being in compatibility mode. Plenty of other old program do.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                              X