Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8

DSC--not sure why you feel the need to buy a program when DosBox is free but perhaps Dbdos offers some database-specific features you need.

Comment

Doug; I found myself in a bind. 10 year old computer running XP. Computer will not run even Win 7 so I probably will have to up grade to Win 8.1. I 'bumped' into the dbase site and they sounded good. At $150 per pop, I will definately try the DosBox first. However, I need a new computer to get started. If DosBox will run my A4v7 like XP does, I am all for it. I tried the A4v7 in my wifes laptop (win 7 pro) and it ran by not in full screen. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.
      dsc

Comment

DSC-Here is a shot of what A4V8 looks like when I run it in DosBox on my Win 7 machine at work. It is not the prettiest but then again not much different than when I was running the program on my old XP machine.

Alpha4DosBox.jpg

Comment

Doug That looks good. I'm in the process of getting a new computer with Win 8.1. I'll let you know how my A4v7 conversion goes with DosBox. I probably will have a lot of work until then, however, those A4 dbs and sets must be converted to the new machine and I will start with DosBox. Thanks again. Will post results later.
          dsc

Comment

DSC--one more observation. You may have NO troubles at all or may not even need DosBox to run your old Alpha 4 assuming you are getting a machine with the 32-bit version of Windows versus the 64-bit. I believe the problems I had trying to get Alpha4 to run as well as a few other older dos and Windows programs was more due to the 64-bit thing versus Windows, itself. But it is good to know that DosBox is still a good fallback for Dos programs under any and all versions of Windows.

Doug

Comment

I have used dosbox for several years for maintenance and support on legacy dos programs.
              Its design purpose is DOS game emulation.
              Definitely NOT to be used in multi-user applications. Many reasons but most significant, it will overwrite data without regard to file/record locks.

Comment

I have been using DosBox for a few years now to run two or three specialized small Dos programs for earthquake risk. Granted they are pretty simple in that I run for a particular site, create the output files (after naming them), and then exit until I need the next time. Never had a problem with files getting botched or overwritten. Similarly my use for Alpha 4 had been limited to looking and searching my old databases rather than entering new information. Again never a problem in doing so. I think if you are careful there should be no issues running any Dos application under DosBox but it would be wise to always have backups of your important files in case things somehow get screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by dsears36 View Post
                  Doug; I found myself in a bind. 10 year old computer running XP. Computer will not run even Win 7 so I probably will have to up grade to Win 8.1. I 'bumped' into the dbase site and they sounded good. At $150 per pop, I will definately try the DosBox first. However, I need a new computer to get started. If DosBox will run my A4v7 like XP does, I am all for it. I tried the A4v7 in my wifes laptop (win 7 pro) and it ran by not in full screen. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.
                  dsc
                  Don, I have very similar situation to yours. Been using A4 for about 18 years for accounting and financial data bases. Works faster and better than any windows based programs. Have recently been stocking up on XP computers for future use, but really hope their is a better alternative to use later hardware technology. I also came across the dbase site and their $150 program which their representative informed me is based on DosBox.
                  I use A4 daily and have tried dosbox and found it hard to use and time consuming. Have not been successful in finding anyone who has experience using the dbase program with A4. The rep from their company said it should work but they did not specifically try it. Will be interested to hear how you do with dosbox. What do you run on A4?

Comment

BurlB--the original way I came across DosBox was when the local IT guy at my office was looking at the problems I was having getting those old specialized Dos earthquake risk programs to run on my machine. The first things I tried were "slow down" programs like Mo'Slow that would slow down the processor when running a particular program but that was very awkward. The IT guy recommended DosBox and when I first looked at it seemed confusing. But then I noticed that some website that supports the program had some decent instructions, the most pertinent of which was quick instructions for running a program in Windows. Basically you create a DosBox shortcut on the desk and simply edit the properties of the shortcut so that the Target (see instructions here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts) Once I realized how simple this actually was I became a real fan of the program.

Comment

Doug Said I would let you know how this all worked out. Great. Even can get into Avv7 from the Desktop. I want to thank you for the directions and where to go. I got the new machine, Win 8.1 (64), got a KVM switch, partitioned the HD, and then installed the DosBox into an empty partition. My A4v7 works extremely well and I am very happy with the results. I must give thanks to an Alpha Tech 10 years ago for downloading me a copy of A4v7 that did not need the v6 discs or any license. I have not abused the favor but having the program in this form made it very easy to move to the new machine. Thanks again for putting me on to DosBox.
                      dsc

Comment

Hey Don--glad it worked out. DosBox has saved me several times already in terms of getting my old Dos programs to run--never failed yet.

Comment

Doug

Back again. I read though all the above threads and there is no mention of using VMWarePlayer for running A4v7 in win 8.1. It is also a free download. The emulation requires that a legal XP be installed. I used the repair xp disk that Dell gave me with the computer back 10 yrs ago. It is XP sp1 but it worked. I also have A4v7 running in DosBox. Am comparing each since I have problems with both. DosBox will not let me use the numeric keypad only the arrows under the numbers. I tried to change the keypad designation but that did not work. Running A4v7 in VM is only half screen but it is running in XP. I am running a lot of financial data and am leery of maintenance problems especially not being able to use the numeric keypad. Since you have been using DosBox, how have you gotten around the keypad problem??? That A4v7 ran full screen under XP in the old machine but I have not been able to get full screen in the VM emulated XP in the new 8.1. Anybody have any suggestions? dsc

Comment

Don,

I am far from an expert on DosBox but have come across so-called "Mega Builds" of DosBox. These are versions where special additional features have been added by some user or developer to enhance the basic DosBox features. My main DosBox use was primarily to run the various special purpose programs I had bought years ago that were Dos programs that basically ran fine until the most recent versions of Windows. All I do I basically open the program and run it so DosBox is really just opened momentarily to accomplish this. The use for Alpha Four is even more limited--all I want to do is occasionally look at the data in my old database--no new data entry or anything else. The basic DosBox works fine to accomplish this.

Regarding Virtual Machines, that was one thing I was considering (having a virtual XP running on the Win7 machine) and I had started to download the virtual XP machine software from Microsoft but when I mentioned doing so at the company I work, the IT guys said there is NO way anymore that they want XP running on the company network in any shape or form since it is no longer supported and they view it as a security risk. They have no problem though with me running DosBox.

I suppose if I again had my own business and was doing work on my own Win 7 machine, I might consider also having the XP virtual machine running as a fall-back.

Doug

Comment

Doug

I found a minor file corruption running DosBox which scarred me. I went to their forum and found that someone had requested help with a database and was emphatically refused. They only will help game users. I figured that there was no way I would continue with DosBox under those conditions. I have extensive investment portfolios in A4v7 and have to update every week, so have to rely on the ability of the program to be stable. At the present, I am using the VM virtual with XP. Have not tried to print, it is hard to communicate with regular 8.1 files, and I can not get it to run full screen. I am not sure if I need security software in the virtual machine if I go on the Internet. Am still looking for something to "cure all ills". The small screen in VM is probably due to the XP running in 64 byte vs 32 though an early version of Excel runs in full screen.

Don

Comment

I have not given up my XP and don't plan to until it grinds to a halt.

But I have to say this here. I resent having to run out every so many
                                years and "upgrade" to a new version of Windoze because my version
                                has been deliberately obsoleted.

Just about the time you get things running acceptably, here comes
                                Microtrash with a new version of Windoze, just as hostile and
                                unstable as the last "upgrade." It costs so much outlay in direct cash
                                and agonizing time, desperately trying to keep a business running
                                with a sabotaged computer system.

If that is not a real-life example of racketeering, I don't know what is.

Comment

Working...
                                X