Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Creating a development copy of a Data Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a development copy of a Data Base

Hi All

I am using A5 V11 and developing primarily on the desktop version.

When working on upgrades for the A5 tables, reports, etc. that i have created, I have no problem creating a copy of the file to use while doing the upgrades but how do i implement the upgrades while protecting the live data from being over written by the test data that I am using? Since I am also a user of our data, how do I protect myself from writing live data to the test data version by mistake.

Because I am afraid of these potential mix-ups, I often end up upgrading using the live data and that can also create problems if things don't go right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Re: Creating a development copy of a Data Base

The starting point is understanding where "stuff" gets stored in an Alpha Five database.

Suggest you open the helps and review "Alpha Five File Types".

You'll find that if you're using native Alpha Five tables, your "data" is stored in the DBF and FPT files. Your indexes are in the CDX files.

Here are some questions you should consider before any update:

a) on your development machine are you changing table structures or index specifications?

b) is the built in security system in use? If so, is it possible the list of users and their groups has changed since your made your copy for the development folder?

If neither is true then one way to furnish the update would be to simply overwrite all the database files on the server EXCEPT for the DBF, FPT and CDX files. This should be done only after Alpha Five is shut down on all workstations. I recommend creating a complete backup both BEFORE and AFTER any such update.

In my own work I prefer a different approach these days. As I work on changes to the database I pay attention to what objects are being changed and create a list of the dictionaries that affected as I go. Updating involves copying in only the changed dictionaries.

But the key is understanding where everything is stored in an Alpha Five database. Study the "File Types" list carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. Yes I am working in all native A5 tables but sometimes I am changing file structures as the needs have expanded over time making using a developer's copy more complicated.

I have worked with Alpha for about 30 years (since it was called "DataBase Manager II") and we run our business on it. Unfortunately, when you have multiple responsibilities, you leave the program unchanged for months and then have to re-learn some of it again each time you want to make new changes. I am wondering whether Alpha or on of the professional developers could create an add-on that creates a developers version of the data and then manages all of the changes to the forms, reports , tables, etc when you are ready to upload the changes back to the live data.

Comment

Changes in table structures can be handled in at least three different ways.

1) you can log on to the live database and make the changes there using the full (developer) version of Alpha Five;

2) you can freeze data entry in the live database, copy the files to your developer sandbox, make the changes, and then copy them back; or

3) you can write custom xbasic functions or scripts that are run in your autoexec script to change the table structures through code, or to copy the data to a new table, change its structure there, and then rename it.

All of this gets discussed pretty thoroughly about 4 times a year, so time spend searching the message board will pay dividends. There may be other useful tidbits in the Code Archive forum, as well.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the ideas.

I had never thought of using the development "sandbox" as a proving ground for updating the changed data files. That one in particular is a bibg help.

Thanks for the new knowledge.

Comment

Stephen,

You have the easiest/simplest way in front of you.

When doing the same as you where I was also a user, I had a development copy on my own computer where I did all the work I needed.
            Generally(as in your situation), I would go to the live copy on the server to add/change fields and indexes.
            I would copy the changes to forms/reports/etc from my working copy and the adb set of files without dbf, cdx and fpt files(those hold the data) and any others got their shadowed copies updated from that(I upped the version).
            I always made a backup of the live database before any changes.

It is different when you are working with off site applications. Where I use an installer that backs up the database to a safe folder, overwrites the live data with a whole application and the alpha is used to append all records to the new when the bootstrap is run. Again all shadows get redone. This is if there are table changes.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

Thanks, both of you for the good ideas. I will be able to dramatically improve the safety of my development efforts now.

Comment

Working...
              X