Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why famous websites never use Alpha Software for public access ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why famous websites never use Alpha Software for public access ?

Originally posted by amorris View Post
    Steve,

I really don't think a million people will fit in there. :)
    Perhaps helpdesk people and system administrators, but i am not sure

Comment

1 or 2 hundred servers maybe. I would be willing to make a huge bet they don't depend on anything running basic on the web.
      from facebook:
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/yG/r/VJHd2k0HZHS.css" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/yf/r/UPV_qJZh_Nt.css" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/yU/r/ThccKDtdwYM.css" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/yj/r/vga_ZZ-9ZZt.css" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y2/r/oD0Iw5_9i8x.css" />
      so now we know?

You tube could be java??

Craigslist could be .net, altough I was told php backend.

Autotrader could be java

Comment

Originally posted by amorris View Post
        1 or 2 hundred servers maybe. I would be willing to make a huge bet they don't depend on anything running basic on the web.
        from facebook:

so now we know?

You tube could be java??

Craigslist could be .net, altough I was told php backend.

Autotrader could be java
        And your guesses are based on?

Youtube was originally PHP and is now Python I believe.
        Facebook was originally PHP and I believe still uses MySQL backend
        Craigslist is written in Perl with a MySQL backend

A lot of these sites use layers in between
        Theyre not just running web servers + load balancers + databases
        Theyre also running memcache layers and other optimizations (I think facebook now converts their PHP to C++) , tons of server farms with redudant web servers & multiple databases
        Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
        REA Inc.
        http://reainc.net
        (416)-533-3777
        [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
        If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
        contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Hi ,

I think it is not a problem of the number of servers or other, the problem lies in doing a good marketing that can attract a lot of developers and incentives to develop with Alpha Five
          Cristiano
          [email protected]

Comment

Good question.

If you look in the A5 application server config (performance tab), it defaults to 48 server threads. It can be changed, but I assume they made it 48 for good reason.

Assuming a 10% concurrent user load, you can support a user community of 480 users on 1 app server. You can throw hardware at the problem, but you would also need an A5 app server license for each instance. The resulting cost would likely cause you to go with another solution.

By contrast, the NGINX server supports thousands of concurrent threads, but you would not have the A5 RAD framework.

Comment

Alpha's own site running php, what does that say?

msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?107314-Why-famous-websites-never-use-Alpha-Software-for-public-access

Comment

The Forum is php. Their company website is not php.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

asp

Comment

Any company that does not use their own products where applicable is worthy of being looked at with a bit of suspicion.
                    Suppose Ford would have their top layer personnel drive around in Peugeot cars, what message does that send?
                    The typical Alpha Five customer however does not seem to be interested much in messages. He seems to have no choice.
                    Like Steve said: whatever you tell them, they go forward anyway. A bit like the old game, how was it called, "Lemmings" ?
                    Those little creatures who used to walk over the edge together unless you stopped them....

Comment

I don't see even ONE person in there :)

Comment

Originally posted by Simplyred View Post
                        Any company that does not use their own products where applicable is worthy of being looked at with a bit of suspicion.
                        Suppose Ford would have their top layer personnel drive around in Peugeot cars, what message does that send?
                        The typical Alpha Five customer however does not seem to be interested much in messages. He seems to have no choice.
                        Like Steve said: whatever you tell them, they go forward anyway. A bit like the old game, how was it called, "Lemmings" ?
                        Those little creatures who used to walk over the edge together unless you stopped them....
                        The way I see it is Alpha Five best used for building Web Apps not Web Sites I think it is fine if Alpha's Web Site in in ASP or what ever....
                        That being said if the build any sort on Online ordering , or "My Orders" type web App then yes I would like to see that built in Alpha Five.

B

Comment

The way I see it is Alpha Five best used for building Web Apps not Web Sites I think it is fine if Alpha's Web Site in in ASP or what ever....
                          That being said if the build any sort on Online ordering , or "My Orders" type web App then yes I would like to see that built in Alpha Five.
                          I agree that is the best use of Alpha products. In all of my applications, the "web site" is just a surround, to make the application fit in as a normal website. The meat is always under the hood, behind the login dialog. An exception to that is www.trinav.com; that site has a significant public user interface and lots of traffic. It is equally large "behind the login" too but the public would never see that. (Now that I look at it, the "website" - created in 2010 - is getting a bit out of date, time to modernize.)
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

When it comes to large customer base, of course engineers develop new solutions, architectures and implementations.

In a small businesses I have with a partner we're building a hosting service for hi performance Magento ecommerce websites, from the smallest shared hosting VPS to dedicated phisical servers up to a state-of-the-art hi performance OpenVZ datacenter with everything fine tuned to get the best of the best (we just won a contest for supplying this to a big competitor in the online market in Italy).

The 20th of September we'll have online and working this new Magento Enterprise implementation capable of handling 150k of unique users per day and about 100 transactions per second.

Of course to delivery such performance everything must be choosen for this result: from ngnix instead of apache, from varnish to page caching, to OpenVZ instead of VM, to hi performing SSD and so on..

To do such a quantum leap in performances Alpha5 WAS should be rewritten for linux machines, maybe optimized for clustering operation (maybe it already is enough), and adapted to be used on hi performing machines (N cores, M GB of ram..). Then, neither a 100k or more user limit should be of any concern.

As a side info, we're also experimenting to build performing VM with SSD for the actual version of A5 WAS (windows servers, of course), with attention to price/performance ratio.
                            Should anyone be interested in our progresses pls let us know (even only for suggestions).

Finally, I'm wondering if anyone (Steve?) could have built a benchmarking app and DB, to test performances of A5 WAS hosting (there are a lot of such testing app for Magento, for instance).

Fabio Mantovani
                            Hourly rate: 50 - If you look: 60 - If you laugh: 70 - If you tried yourself before: 100

Comment

Working...
                            X