Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Why does "Similar Threads" seem to work better than searching for a topic?

Real Name
    Tom Williams

Default Why does "Similar Threads" seem to work better than searching for a topic?

For well over a year I have noticed a distinct trend in reference to trying to find a specific topic at this forum. My observation is that I often find BETTER links on a topic at the the bottom of the screen under the section "Similar Threads" than I can when typing in a direct search.

Therefore, for some subjects I have to start a new thread just so that these useful "Similar Threads" will be exposed. I also often have better luck here than using the Advanced search.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Why is that so?

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Default Re: Why does "Similar Threads" seem to work better than searching for a topic?

I also discovered that. I sometimes first search for threads on the the topic, open them one at a time to get that "similar threads"
    I have no possible explanation either

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Default Re: Why does "Similar Threads" seem to work better than searching for a topic?

I KNOW!!! I have been wondering this for a very long time. Quite a few times I have searched and searched and not found any posts about what I was searching for, So I create a new post. and low and behold once I have done that....in the related posts section is a post or 2 that were EXACTLY! what i was looking for!
    I am glad I am not the only one that seems to have this problem.
    To me the search doesn't work very well. Maybe Jerry or someone could do a video so show how to effectively. As I for one can't seem to ever find what I am looking for.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Here is a PRIME EXAMPLE Of how the Similar Threads works better than the search.
    I was having problems with the video component running on an SSL secured site, So I searched for video component, SSL, You tube etc etc Can't remember exactly but the upshot was I couldn't find anything!
    Hmm no other posts out there that I can find so I create this thread
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...-on-a-SSL-site

The low and behold as soon as I post it what turns up in the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of my thread?
    This thread.
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...364#post653364

So what logic is "Similar Threads" using that the Search doesn't?
    I know this is vBulletin software and not Alpha's but the search surely does suck.

Bruce