Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

moving V10.5 Desktop only to V12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving V10.5 Desktop only to V12

I have a big Desktop-Only app I would like to move to V12. A brief test has uncovered no issues. Has anyone moved from 10 to 12, and discovered any issues?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Re: moving V10.5 Desktop only to V12

Hi Martin,

I understand v11 and 12 are virtually the same. I have moved many apps(some are **very large) to v11 with no problems at all. That is coming from v10.5 and very few changes from v10.

** I call large as over 50 tables/forms/reports and a lot of code.

I hope this helps you.

Comment

thanks - mine is about 680 tables

Tables: 686
      Sets: 127
      Forms: 556
      Browses: 31
      Reports: 336
      Letters: 0
      Labels: 26
      Scripts: 229
      Appends: 212
      Summaries: 104
      Functions: 107
      Last edited by martinwcole; 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM.
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Martin,
        I wish I could help you more on this, but I suggest it could be a matter of what code you may have used in scripts, functions and other. I would doubt uyou used anything that has changed from v10.5 to v11.
        I do not have v12 at this point to test with.
        Suggest you try opening a copy of the application with v12 and try all the tests you possibly can for compatibility. I am sure you are already doing that though.

Comment

Martin you should be ok with this but one word of warning - if you use Netmailer or Reportmailer they don't currently work with V12
          Bob
          Bob Whitaker

Comment

Thanks - so far so good - any word on when they are going to fix it so they will work?
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
              Thanks - so far so good - any word on when they are going to fix it so they will work?
              You are joking right?
              I am still waiting for confirmation that V11 is officially stable, although Richard has said that he "thinks it is stable".
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted - you are behind the times - I have been using V11 for several years with some very big and complicated apps. V11 is rock solid!!
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

I am finding it very hard to get any sort of response from Alpha. Elsewhere in this forum others have indicated that the level of Alpha Customer Service has fallen way below what it used to be and is acceptable and am very sorry to say after many many years of excellent service this is painfully true. I bought the upgrade to V12 so we could continue with our application on Win 8 in early July and after a few exchanges of email, the first of which needless to say suggested it was my fault, there was a reluctant acceptance that neither Netmailer or Reportmailer would install with V1. We are now six or seven weeks down the line and again following a number of emails to customer service NONE OF WHICH WERE ANSWERED, I contacted Richard directly and some days later received an email saying it wasn't fixed and they could not indicate when it would be fixed. CAVEAT EMPTOR ( let the buyer beware )
                  Bob Whitaker

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                    Ted - you are behind the times - I have been using V11 for several years with some very big and complicated apps. V11 is rock solid!!
                    Well I checked today and there is still a health warning on using the latest patch.
                    It isn't as solid as it should be. See complaints from Alastair re the browse issues. He had his post part pulled and altered.

Comment

I still use the last full download. afraid of the patches until the final comes out.

Comment

Ted, I suspect people who are having issue with the browse have very limited experience in using embedded browses. I have 30 Hospitals in MD entering data in an embedded browse, with out issues; I have several more in IA doing the same; and I have many Hearing Aid dealers accross TX doing the same. - all using V11 more or less since its inception.

However, I will add this caveat - when I have a build that works for my software I DO NOT UPDATE ANY MORE PATCHES!

I am using build 2765 -3937 on win7 64 in most cases
                        Last edited by martinwcole; 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM.
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Amorris, I suspect that the last patch IS OUT. You can download earlier patches than what you currently have, if they work better than your current build.
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Martin, I have quite a number on a5 as well and using embedded browse for data input. I do keep it simple and limited. I probably would have no problem with the latest patch. I don't care to be a debugger anymore.

But thanks for the thought.

I am fully aware of how the patches work since I have been with alpha5 from v1-v11. That is a good part that you can go backwards.

Comment

I suspect people who are having issue with the browse have very limited experience in using embedded browses.
                              This might well be true Martin, but the complainant had a previous version working just fine and it fell over in V11. The fix was the latest patch, however there is still a health warning. It was a known problem, so I'm not sure you can lay all of the blame on the chap concerned.
                              Of course there are workarounds and things you can do (but shouldn't), and should do but don't.

Amorris, I suspect that the last patch IS OUT.
                              This pre-release build is not intended to be used in a production environment. is still on the download page. So how do you reconcile your statement? Richard hasn't confirmed that the patch is stable although he believes it is. I await his confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                              X