Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SQL Tables on Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Tables on Desktop

It's easy to go straight to SQL for tables for Web stuff.

But how do you access the tables for creating forms, etc. in a Desktop app. Active link tables are slow, especially when using a web server, and many have suggested only using the SQL. I can get as far as using the SQL Genie but there I stick. I need them to show in the control panel so that I can use them.

Help??!!

Re: SQL Tabkes on Desktop

hello

search here for web components in desktop (wcd) nifty stuff.
    there was a guy marshall sign name mronck. he posted many threads regarding this topic. you can experiment with that and works well with sql back end.
    you may be able to search on his name or search for wcd either way, see if that suits you.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Thanks Gandhi. That actually will save me a lot of work as originally I was doing this app as a Web but my users are paranoid and wanted to really limit control over who had access by making it a desktop (no accidental or hacked logins). However, I now have to change all my PHP to xBasic. Not a hard leap as much is the same. Web had just made more sense for multiple users especially in different countries. But they are happy with just the data being "in the cloud".

Comment

Why not just run the application server behind your firewall (intranet) with no access to it from the web? Your data can still be on another server. Then there is no restriction as to what you can and can't use with WCD.
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Web had just made more sense for multiple users especially in different countries.
          in my opinion this is the correct statement, in your situation.

please check out the posts on wcd. there are definitely major differences when it comes to functionality. in one of the posts with marshall we have discussed lack of functions in wcd.
          wcd is displayed exploiting something in the internet explorer as a working preview method. so whatever you cannot do in working preview mode you cannot do in wcd for example print a pdf. (you are in version 12, may be possible. but not for me in version 11).

But they are happy with just the data being "in the cloud".
          in the end customer will prevail, but i think you make more sense.
          Last edited by GGandhi; 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM.
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

Thanks Gandhi. Bill putting up a dedicated server is beyond this group. They are all private individuals with all their spare money going to the dogs (pun intended). Regular house people without the firewalls except those supplied by their ISPs. And I can't do it as I never have the same IP address and no way to dedicate as we move around too much... see where my location is. I think the WCD will work well as I already had a lot of html and php stuff done and just need to port it. This app is really just collecting information. There is no accounting stuff. The only heavy stuff is genealogy tracings such as pedigrees, reverse peds, siblings and genetic tracing. Mostly everyone wants to be able to do lookups and whatifs.

Comment

Ahh. I just saw your location... Love it.
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
                please check out the posts on wcd.
                I probably am missing a bit here but WCD is an awesome way to go. Unfortunately, unless there have been changes I am not aware of, there is no way to use a home page without a bit of a hassle. Yes, a home page can be created but in order for it to open automatically, xBasic must be used as is how I am using it. Now for the problem, the home page has a large red X in the upper right hand corner. There is no way to minimize the app if one wants to view anything else such as a word processor, the internet or whatever. Also, the screen can be moved by the user exposing the control panel. Clicking the re x also exposes the control panel although it does have the ability to minimize the app. In short, in order to used WCD as a desktop, the WCD home page / menu must be put on a desktop form in order for the app to have minimize ability. Unfortunately, that's the way it is.
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You can use a desktop app to do the home page... if that is what you want to call it. I will be using a splash page and login before ever getting to my main menu. Click the X on that and you're gone. Then depending on your security, you will be able to go to detail pages, browses (grids), reports, etc. depending on what you want to do. Most of these will be dialogs with embedded browse/grids or details or tabbed views. All can be done with the WCD and the desktop apps without ever looking at a browser. Even some model windows will appear for certain selections or popups depending on what is happening. I plan on a lot of Xbasic as this will be the only way to handle a lot of the background stuff. But then, I am very comfortable with that. And considering, I don't want a lot of minimizing, it will probably turned off. As for the control panel, as a desktop app it can be turned off too. This is a program that is either has your main focus or turned off. It is not supposed to be left lying around on the desktop while you do other stuff... considered by the user group as a big security risk. My users are very paranoid about access to this data.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about, it's a mix of the DT and WCD.
                    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Re: SQL Tables on Desktop

My users are very paranoid about access to this data.
                      Have you considered a timeout on the forms? If there is no action for - say 1 minute, they hide and need a password to reopen.
                      Bit like the Windows built in facility to lock the PC.

I deal with really sensitive data, not perceived sensitive data, but really, really sensitive data. I suppose that you are using encryption, adequate firewalling and possibly reverse proxy?
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Using a timeout on the forms for inactivity. These guys are nuts and all I can do is laugh... especially as they do not want to pay for the extra firewalls, etc. Talking about clearances and sensitive data: I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours. Mine had special name categories and in the beginning they went as far as interviewing people I went to grade school with in Canada. So, I'm aware of sensitive issues.

Comment

Been there, investigated at least 3 times for government jobs, and once by a multi national.
                          Got all 4 jobs. But I don't envy you doing it on a shoe string.
                          The old saying "Spend too much and you lose a little cash, Don't spend enough and you could lose everything", springs to mind.

PS. I'm off in my RV on Monday up the North East coast in the UK for a week or so.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X