Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What to use? MySQL, SQLite or SQL Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to use? MySQL, SQLite or SQL Server

You would think that all the tables would be contained in the Alpha application and all you would need is a connection to the SQL-compliant database.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Anderson View Post
      You would think that all the tables would be contained in the Alpha application and all you would need is a connection to the SQL-compliant database.
      Yes, you would think so, but once you understand SQL you will see why this isn't so. This isn't the fault of Alpha or an Alpha shortcoming, it's the way ALL SQL applications work regardless of platform or UI.

That said, if you are uncomfortable with the idea of diving into the (vast) world of SQL, you can use dbf which works quite well. OTOH, most people who start using SQL rarely want to go back to dbf - at least those who live, more or less, in the web/mobile universe.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,
        Well, I have been convinced that there are too many advantages to using SQL both for the application and the user. Downloaded MySQL and got lost. Tried using MySQL help but something seems to be wrong. Maybe you or someone else could help me get started.
        Dick

Comment

Dick - are you a subscriber? Alpha has a tutorial series "Xbasic for the Web" for subscribers (by Andy Meer and myself) that I think gives a pretty good MySQL primer for A5 users.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Steve - what is a subscriber? - Dick

Comment

You can purchase a license for Alpha Five... and separately you can purchase a "subscription" to Alpha five that includes all updates as they come along, access to all video and other resources, etc.

If you don't live in a commercial software world, these may seem like heavy additional fees. However, if you do work with commercial software, these fees are trivial and necessary to get the requisite help.

There are LOTS of tools to help you build applications faster. But no matter how you slice it, all of them have fees once you pull the covers back. And... this is as it should be. If you ultimately build a cool app in raw code or via a tool such as Alpha, you will likely want to be compensated.

Comment

I downloaded MySQL free version. Can I create a data table in MySQL and then add and configure fields in Alpha Anywhere after I establish a connection string?

Comment

Dick,

It might help your efforts if you understand why the "database" (or database-engine) is separate from the "application" (or user-interface).

If you have a few local files (like DBF data files) you could build an app that would work for you and quite a number of users in a very controlled environment. Each time you took any action, your application (e.g. Alpha Five code) would go to the files on disk and read or write data. You could back things up just by copying the files to another disk once per day.

But... if you truly have a successful app, one serving a company with many user or one that consumers like and you suddenly have 100 or 100,000 users, the file method will experience limitations.

A dedicated and standalone database will have an entire series of utilities that work to keep indexes repaired, manage table growth (so it doesn't explode all over your hard drives), perform backups, and even grown to include multiple sub-databases, computers, and/or hard drives.

In the end, they both may do the same exact thing, but a dedicated and standalone database does everything better, faster, and with more management tools.

• So if you have MySQL, you can access it from a command line (linux or windows). But most people at the very least use a free tool called "phpMyAdmin" to provide a graphic interface.
                  • if you have SQL Server, you can access it from code within an application (Alpha Five) or from a front-end tool (like SQL Server Management Studio).
                  • Oracle includes "SQL Developer" and also "SQLplus" for interacting with the database. And there are a TON of third party tools for providing a nice interface for working with the database (e.g. TOAD, Benthic Golden, etc).

Although you can use Alpha Five or any other coding environment to communicate with a database, you will ultimately have to learn the basics of databases. This can be rendered down to:
                  • How/where to install it
                  • How to check to see if it's working (simple commands that ask "are you alive?")
                  • How to log in (user and password)
                  • Permissions (every user typically requires permissions... security is important!)
                  • CREATE a TABLE (start with a simple table... there are examples everywhere on the net)
                  • ADD DATA (the term is "INSERT"... again, SQL INSERT examples abound)
                  • UPDATE DATA (the term is in fact "update")
                  • COMMIT and ROLLBACK (when you save a change, do you keep it or discard it)
                  • DELETE data
                  • And of course... HOW TO LOCATE/COMMUNICATE with it (each database is on a computer with an I.P. number, the database has a name, a "driver" is required for each database, and finally there is "user" and "password")

Sadly there is no "easy button" (like the Staples commercial). You have to learn this stuff.

And... however complicated it seems, it's not really that bad. Further, it is more complicated if you try to build a full app and have to write everything yourself (interface, file read/write instead of a database, etc). This is why there are databases and application development tools (e.g. Alpha).

So. You might want to go back and start with my first suggestion:
                  • build 2 or 3 simple tables with DBF files
                  • no connection string required in this case... Alpha will put them in a local directory
                  • build a simple GRID or UX-and-LIST in Alpha Five to talk to them

And then, when you've got the easy stuff down, do one of two things... or both:
                  • install a sql-compliant, standalone database and RECREATE your tables there (for awareness and practice)
                  • or, install noted database and use the Alpha "upsize genie" so that Alpha does the work of recreating your tables

Then you have to add a connection string, which in turn points that the "driver" noted in one of your original posts.

I'll stop babbling. Back to work myself.

Good luck. Stick with it.

Remember... all of this work and complexity is what elevates us above bacteria and politicians!

Comment

There are a TON of MySQL tutorials on the net and on YouTube.

The WC3schools stuff is clean and not cluttered with ads. You have to be careful of some of the constant advertising on other sites.

The link below has some "MySQL... now what?" kinds of links.

I work with all kinds of databases. But like everyone... I had to hunt this stuff down and get familiar with MySQL at one point also.

Live. Learn. Build stuff. And then you die. It's the circle of life.

Comment

Allan - You just wrote the best synopsis of the evolution of A5, and its' relationship to 'databases', I have ever read. [I read a lot.] Thank you.

Comment

Richard,

Glad it helps. My experience with A5 has been bumpy (as it seems to be with any new environment) and it takes a while to sort out the idiosyncrasies. I can imagine it would be harder for someone who doesn't have a hard-core database background because you then must learn both database and Alpha topics simultaneously.

I figure I will know enough to be really effective right about the time I get too old to remember any of it!

Comment

Allan,

All my experience has been with Alpha4 and Foxpro back in the late 80's. I never did upgrade to Alpha5 because unlike Alpha4 it involved too much programing and there wasn't much information about how Alpha5 worked at the time. I really appreciate all the time you and others spent answering this post.

Thank you,
                          Dick

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. since this was written some time ago, I would very much like to know the consensus regarding best SQL choices for alpha anywhere, MySQL, SQL Server Express, of which I have some knowledge, or MariaDB, of which I have none. we would have our network support do the installation on the server, but their support would only be software installation. we have tested the conversion of data in both MySQL and SQL Express. Backup and restore options are a concern, as are reporting services. we've been told a batch file would need to be written to backup, our database in dbf format compresses to 20 mb, and the SQL test database less than 10MB, so we feel we do not need SQL Server. we would appreciate your thoughts. thank you.

Comment

Linda,

MySQL & MariaDB are, for all practical purposes, 100% identical. That being true, I suggest going forward to use MariaDB. Whatever you know in MySQL will work exactly the same in MariaDB.

Not sure why you were told that you need a batch file to backup. I recommend a good db management tool like Navicat:

http://www.navicat.com/

Navicat allows you to run scheduled backups. You can also find a free backup tool here:

http://mysqlbackupftp.com/
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

many thanks for the prompt reply. appreciate your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X