Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Phonegap request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phonegap request

The Phonegap configuration files (different for Android or iOS) simply require a valid URL. As long as the webserver you are hitting can handle the request the it's all good.

Since I have a server that hosts the Alpha Five Webserver, and it exists to handle .A5W pages, I just created an "index.a5w" for my app and pointed both my Android and iOS Phonegap compilations at it. works fine.

Of course, this may have been influenced by the fact that I stared sternly at the Phonegap app after giving it a harsh talkin'-to.

Comment

Thanks - how do I get rid of the message (index.html not found in the zip file - something along those lines in phonegap build?). Currently with my 'default' setup on phonegap build - It is not working without the index.html file. The processing just stops without that.

Comment

Hey Allen,

Could you elaborate... a lot... please. I'm lost.

As far as I know, and from the docs, index.html is required...

Code:
        PhoneGap Build gives you two options - you can upload an existing PhoneGap project either as a single index.html or a package zip archive, or link the site to a source control repository (that is publicly accessible -- we'll have support for private repositories soon).

Your project, whether a source control repository or a zip archive, can contain:

index.html (the main page of your app)
        any other assets your app uses - JavaScript or CSS files, images, audio, video and whatnot
        a config.xml file, based on the W3C widget spec, that contains data about your application
        an app icon image - png files are the widest supported, and your best bet for now
        Only index.html is required - any of your app properties can be edited through the web interface.
        How and what do you use to point your config to your a5w page?

I also believe that one config.xml file can and will handle all builds... ie iOS, Android, Blackberry etc. I don't think you need a separate config.xml file per platform.

Comment

Originally posted by JPMPA View Post
          Thanks - how do I get rid of the message (index.html not found in the zip file - something along those lines in phonegap build?). Currently with my 'default' setup on phonegap build - It is not working without the index.html file. The processing just stops without that.
          I would, looking forward, include the index.html file (even if you don't need it, which is a question right now). One day you're going to say... hey... I want to do some barcode scanning or some NFC in my Alpha applicaton. Without the index.html you'll be out of luck. Of course, you can always add it... but do it now, and you'll have it for later.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

If you are using the online "Phonegap Builder" then you provide your info once and it builds all forms. If you have downloaded Phonegap and are compiling it locally then there are minor differences (which file gets edited) when setting up Android vs iOS vs others. It's in the links I provided earlier. As David notes, it doesn't hurt to just go with the index.html and call it a day.

Just a few clicks and you have an app, right? :-)

Comment

Is AlphaWeb and GardenWeb only necessary when testing an Alpha Anywhere mobile web site that uses any part of the Cordova API? These shell apps are not necessary when you build your own PhoneGap app and install it on a native device. Is this correct?

Thanks

Comment

GardenWeb, brilliant, and basically a full screen browser... on steroids. No part of Cordova will flow through it to your app. [EDIT: Wrong, wrong, wrong... GardenWeb has a Cordova option]

You're right... the shells are not required with an installed PhoneGap app.
                  Last edited by Davidk; 10-22-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I have been using Garden Web a lot - primarily for non-PhoneGap remote testing of my mobile web app in Live Preview mode. Is that it's primary purpose? I got the impression from Bob Moore's video that we would need/want to use Garden Web or AlphaWeb for our PhoneGap/Cordova testing. I thought he said it would act as the native shell so we can test our mobile web app with calls to Cordova/PhoneGap.

If we use any Action JavaScript Cordova routines in our mobile app or call the Cordova API directly, does the mobile app have to be compiled, installed and running as a native app?

Thanks

Comment

What's AlphaWeb?

GardenWeb is an amazing tool for scanning QR codes, bookmarking sites, and for me... testing non-PhoneGap Alpha web apps in full screen.

[EDIT: Completely forgotten about GardenWeb's PhoneGap option]

A PhoneGap app, through an index.html page, load phonegap.js, and launches your site page with request vars indicating device platform and phonegap version.

GardenWeb doesn't do this. [EDIT: OH YES IT DOES] Which video is that? Have to watch that one again.

Yes... if you use PhoneGap anything in your app... action javascript, barcode scanner plug-ins, NFC plug-ins (any PhoneGap plug-in) then you'll be running under an installed "PhoneGap" native app.
                      Last edited by Davidk; 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks David.

Start watching the following video about 39 minutes in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcZwr2TqE0

Bob talks about AlphaWeb and Garden Web. It sounds like they were created primarily for testing Cordova web apps. He mentions that PhoneGap was also developing a similar emulator. Bob said that you could actually deploy your Cordova app this way, but he wouldn't recommend it of course.

Bob also said he was developing one for Android.

Comment

I didn't know about AlphaWeb... Bob wrote that one. But I don't think it's out there... yet.

And my sincere apologies regarding my comments about GardenWeb... Sorry Dan! I'd completely forgotten that it does PhoneGap. It sure does. In the options for GardenWeb you can turn PhoneGap on.

Now it's even more brilliant than I'd thought before.

I'm not completely sure about this... but here's what I'm thinking. I looks like GardenWeb is using Cordova Version 2.5.0. I'm not sure what the latest "built-in" versions of the Cordova/PhoneGap libraries are.

GardenWeb, with PhoneGap turned on, grabs your URL, appends the PhoneGap Version and Platform to it in the form of request variables and sends that URL off to WAS for processing. WAS gets it, figures out what phonegap libraries it needs to load, and loads them. Now you're able to use the mobile camera stuff plus any plugins supports up to that version of Cordova.

But... if you need to use PhoneGap plugins that require a more current version of PhoneGap libraries, then you'll need to go the GitHub or Zip file route with PhoneGap Build and loading your own PhoneGap libraries.

Comment

HI

I've gone through all of the videos and resources above and I am still a bit confused on capabilities with phoneGap and Alpha. So this is what I need to know....

I have a request for an application to run on Android only. The application is a series of questions/diary that the person has to respond to through out the day. The application can be initialized while connected to the WEB but once the person starts moving throughout the day they will not have WEB access and the application has to continue to run, initiate alarms, prompt with questions and store results and at the end upload the results to a server. If this were an attached WEB application I could write all of this in a UX with javascript to control the actions.

The questions is....can you do this with phonegap and Alpha? I know for xbaisic and such the a5 pages have to process through the server.

Thanks,
                            Tom

Comment

No... not quite yet. Alpha is working on a "disconnected" process for when you don't have a connection. I think it's one of their main goals.

Comment

I didn't think it was there but before I head off in different direction I wanted to check.

Thanks,
                                tom

Comment

Working...
                                X