Alpha Video Training

Thread: Unable to resynch on index error **Urgent Error**

Real Name
    Melvin

Default Unable to resynch on index error **Urgent Error**

We have an Alpha Five V11 database App that has been running for about 8 months.

All of a sudden users are unable to add parts to an order. Whenever we create a new order the following error appears. "Unable to resynch on index error" The issue started today about an hour ago. If i go through orders created earlier today the form will not see the attached parts, even though those parts are on the parts table. If i go through orders entered yesterday they appear with the parts as normal.

I've created a new set and form with the same settings but the same error occurs. I've also created default forms for both the new and old sets but the same error occurs. I've also made a copy of the App and stored it on my desktop with no changes.

Any one else ever have a simular issue. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

"Certified" Alphaholic G Gabriel's Avatar
    Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Default Re: Unable to resynch on index error **Urgent Error**

Start out wit the usual suspects:
    Update the indices.
    Compact the database.
    Check your indices, how many and what are they made up form?
    Are you suing variables in any of these?
    Add records to the parent alone, not in the set.
    Add records records to each of the children, each separately.
    You basically have to work with a process of elimination, though your error point out to something wrong with one or more of your indices.

Real Name
    Robin

If you right click on one of the tables in the set, you can check each table's indices to see where the culprit lies. I would then pack that table and rebuild its indices and then check again to see if that fixed it.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Melvin

Thanks Gabriel and Robin for your replies.

Finally found an error with the indices. Have no idea what caused the issue but it caused some real problems with the parts data.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

In all my apps I have a Reindex feature in the Housekeeping section.
    Learned to provide this long ago.
    Password protect the button, then you can launch it any time you need to.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Reindexing will succeed only if no one else on your network has the table open, so best to kick everyone off the database before reindexing.

Real Name
    Melvin

Good Idea...Ted

Does this kind of error occur often?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Giles View Post
    In all my apps I have a Reindex feature in the Housekeeping section.
    Learned to provide this long ago.
    Password protect the button, then you can launch it any time you need to.

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Yes Melvin, unfortunately some users just switch off half way through something.
    Little tinkers!
    This is the first port of call when things start disappearing or not linking up as one would expect.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Melvin

Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Giles View Post
    Yes Melvin, unfortunately some users just switch off half way through something.
    Little tinkers!
    This is the first port of call when things start disappearing or not linking up as one would expect.

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

ADCO Services:

Finally found an error with the indices. Have no idea what caused the issue but it caused some real problems with the parts data.
    When you say you found an error with the indexes, what did you find and how did you find it? I have an app here at work that we have been running for 12 years now and two main screens have suddenly been having the same issue (SCRIPT:TEMPLATE line:1 Unable To Resynch On Index). CLosing teh forms and opening them again synchs the records.

Compacting (which I think also re-indexes) does not solve the issue. Also, checking indexes utility reports that all is well.

Did you remove all the indexes and recreate them to solve the issue?

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Don, have you carried out regular reindexing?
    Are the computers you are using 12 years old?
    If you have the data on a Server, has someone changed the configuration? A Server upgrade has been known to screw Alpha up.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

Ted,

I have carried out regular weekly compacting, which I believe also updates the indexes(?).

No, the workstations nor the server are not 12 yrs. old - running a mixture of XP and Win7 Pro. on the workstations and Data and App through Terminal Services (Dell Edge server running XenCenter virtual machine - Windows SBS 2008R2). This arrangement has been in place for about 3 years - error started about 6 months ago.

If you have the data on a Server, has someone changed the configuration?
    I suppose this happens continuosly with updates, etc.?

Both the forms that have this problem have embedded browses placed on tabbed feature in the form. I have replaced/rebuilt the browses with no luck, but I have not tried to put together a new form to see if the problem resolves.

Thanks,
    Don

Real Name
    Ted Giles

It is a simple matter to put a Reindex button on the Form Don.
    I am not sure about the Compact operation as after running it people have reported problems on the Forum. A good backup is recommended before the Compact.
    It is supposed to reindex, and I presume you are carrying out the Compact when there are no other users on the system?
    Last suggestion is that the changes to the server may have picked up a different version of the form/index/application build.
    Suggest you ask tech support what they did on or about the time you started having problems. They will probably have a record of what went on.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

I am pretty certain that compacting also update the indexes. Compaction will not complete if others are using the app (Alpha reports that tables are open) so that is not an issue. Again, running the "check indexes" utility does not report a problem. Our app and data are backed up nightly but I have never experienced trouble after compaction (usually improves operation).

I am still thinking it is form related as closing and reopening the form clears the problem. It is when new records are entered that the problem crops up again and is only reported when switching to a browse of the records (no problem) and then back to the form (resynch error - form is not synched with newly entered records).

Real Name
    Ted Giles

The builds on the machine and on the server are the same?
    No one downloaded a different patch and applied it on one of the machines or the server did they?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

When running Terminal Services, the app and (in our case) the data are all (only) on the Server. All workstations access the same (single) version of the app on the server (each with there own session). The single runtime app on the server is what is accessed by all workstations through Terminal Services on each workstation.

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Then TS is not locking the sessions and the indices are getting screwed IMHO.
    If AS has not changed, has a new version of TS been introduced?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

Ted,

Then TS is not locking the sessions and the indices are getting screwed IMHO.
    I don't think it is Terminal Services as this arrangement is really no different than the convential setup - whether it be individual runtime applications running on individual workstations that access a central store of data (network optimized) or "virtual sessions" that run on the server and are relayed to the workstations via terminal server, that access a central store of data, the record locking works the same.

Again, we have run TS for about 3 years and have only had this problem recently. Also, it has only been affecting one part of the application that is not the most heavily used portion.

I think I will also try to run just one user directly off the server for a short test and see if anything changes. That should eliminate record locking and muli user issues.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Most TS/Citrix environments I've worked with implement a process, scheduled nightly, that runs through a standard list of maintenance items including registry cleanup, temp file removal and recreation/rebuilding of indexes. Since users frequently leave forms open (thus thwarting a full reindex) you need to have some means of logging users out of the application automatically after a period of inactivity.

This can significantly reduce problems, especially with indexes.
    Finian

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I ran into this issue a while back, and eventually traced part of it down to a new build of Trend Micro. The company uses a server grade of Trend Micro that auto-refreshes the work stations.

However, the rest of the problem I finally traced down to an onactivate event in the form. That, as it turns out, was the main culprit. Finian and I found it after hours and hours of exhaustive checking. So ...... I'm betting your app is the source of the error.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Was the problem always there Martin, or did it just appear suddenly?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

The Trend Micro issue came up with a new build from them. That was causing all kinds of problems with the shadow.
    I had to change al the users from shadow to direct.
    An IT fellow and I removed Trend Micro from one machine, and all problems went away.
    So .. he completely exempted all folders where Alpha is running and Alpha5.exe on all workstations.
    That let me put evberybody back in shadow.

But I still had the index synch issue on 2 machines. And I had always had certain issues on them, that I thought was the machines themselves. Those two machines were used for the most part for entering orders, with 2 users. So I thought maybe its a timing issue and I started really looking at what was going on. I found the problem in the on activate event for the form, after they entered a child record in another form and then closed and came back. Once I figured it out, the problems with the index resynch issue and all other issues on those two machines went away.

Thus I will bet that this fellow's issues are also app related.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Ted Giles

Thanks for the details Martin.
    It's this sort of help which makes a real difference to everyone.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

Real Name
    Donald Raymond

Since users frequently leave forms open (thus thwarting a full reindex) you need to have some means of logging users out of the application automatically after a period of inactivity.
    This is absolutely a problem and there is no doubt that the backups have been done in the evening with the app still open. My problem now is that when I gain sole access to the app and data, compact it and rebuild the indexes, I still have the resynching issue on two moderately used forms.

If I want to know for absolute certain that the indexes are functioning properly would the best way to ensure this be to delete them, compact, and then recreate them? I off course will also check the forms for and "app" issue as stated above.

Thanks,
    Don

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

<<If I want to know for absolute certain that the indexes are functioning properly would the best way to ensure this be to delete them, compact, and then recreate them? >>

You can create an automated process to delete and recreate the indexes. Unless you are continuing to develop within the live app environment, a compact is not required. A purpose-built function that goes through your indexes, removes them, then restores them to their original definitions is more comprehensive and potentially, more useful.

When you have issues with a small number of forms, are the forms based on sets? How complex are the sets? If they are very complex, consider ways to simplify them. Among the table indexes, do you have filtered indexes? Take a look at Martin Cole's messages above and in other threads to see how they might apply to your situation. Add a "watcher" for each form to shut down the app after a period of inactivity. Add an overnight maintenance process. If possible, under TS, reboot the server in that overnight process, that will recreate the user profiles which are, potentially, another source of problems.
    Finian

Real Name
    David Boomer

I use Cal Locklin's AIMS Index rebuilder (http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/AIMS_Index_Rebuild.htm)...
    It has saved me a LOT of grief.

Indexes can get corrupted for many reasons... particularly irritating is when they simply 'disappear' when Alpha deletes them as a result of a query or when applying an index that fails.
    Another recommendation: keep index names to <10 characters!