Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Activation Server Cannot be contacted at this time.Pleasetry again later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activation Server Cannot be contacted at this time.Pleasetry again later

We were instructed to patch the app server developer and runtime before Nov 1, but for 2 days until the deadline I am always receiving the message "Activation Server cannot be contacted at this time, please try again later" . My Question is, When Will be the end of later so that we can activate the new patch? What is the use of having 5 new download servers for the patch if we cannot activate it?
    Attached Files

Re: Activation Server Cannot be contacted at this time.Pleasetry again later

From the release notes (always a good thing to take a look at):

Build 1755-4215 29 Oct 2013

Activating The Application Server - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

This release has an issue that prevents activation of the Application Server if it has not been previously activated. A hot fix for this issue is available. To install this hot fix, please follow these steps:

1. Download the hot fix file, by clicking here.

2. Exit the Application Server. It is very important that the Application Server is not running when you apply the hot fix.

3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where the Application Server is installed.

4. Create a new sub-folder called hotfix

5. Unzip the hotfix file into this new folder.

6. In Windows Explorer find the A5Hotfix entry in the list of files (in the folder where you installed the Application Server). Double click on this entry. This will install the hotfix.

You can now start the Application Server and activate it.

For more information on how to apply the hotfix, please watch this video.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

I have Very very carefully followed those steps before I posted the Activation Failed message.

Comment

I am seeing the same issue: "Activation Server Cannot be contacted at this time. Please try again later" ...

Server Setup:
        * newly installed instance of Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64
        * Mozilla Firefox comes pre-installed on serverby VPS service provider as part of standard configution process
        * Installed all Windows updates
        * Running IIS on server port 80
        * Using Server Administrator account, Installed A5 Application Server running on port 8080 (cannot seem to activate license) Build 1755-4215

Here is a list (screenshot) of programs that are installed
        Screenshot of installed files
        ScreenShot001.PNG

Using Server Administrator Account ...
        * Shut down the Windows Firewall on the server
        * I tried the "A5Hotfix.exe" patch that provided in the install in the folder where the Application Server is installed per the instructions above.
        * Tried stopping A5 App server then attempting register... no joy
        * Tried restarting A5 App server then attempting register... no joy
        * Rebooted Windows Server then retried ...
        * Tried stopping A5 App server then attempting register... no joy
        * Tried restarting A5 App server then attempting register... no joy

Here are the last few lines from the "online_activation.log" file:

Where actual license used was replaced with "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Error activating Application Server license XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        Error code:
        Error text: Null response from server
        02-Nov-2013 20:05:50
        Error code:
        02-Nov-2013 20:06:00
        Error code:
        02-Nov-2013 20:06:56
        Error code:
        End of log file

Not sure what to try next beyond trying to register licenses on a different machine(s).

Possible suggestion 1: It would be nice if a trace route option that can be toggled on/off for the activation process in communicating to the activation server was built into the "online-activation.log" file. I suspect and hope the server is just down, but have spent considerable time trying to confirm what and where the communication issue really is before I contact support.

Possible suggestion 2: this may already be the case, I am not sure, but it would be nice to know that a newly installed instance that is not "activated with a license" would remain up if it had to be installed on a client Production machine and last longer than a three day weekend in the event it took a few days for support to resolve the communication issue.

End of Current Reply
        Last edited by BenRo; 11-03-2013, 08:14 AM. Reason: had to hide license number

Comment

Ben, I would suggest you edit your post and erase your server license.
          Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Thanks ... Done.

Comment

For anyone still having problems after activating after installing the hot fix - Please repeat the hot fix install, but at step 6 instead open a command prompt, navigate to the app server program folder, and run "A5Hotfix.exe", then send me an email with the output that is generated.

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Here you go ...

C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 ApplicationServer>dir *.exe
                Volume in drive C has no label.
                Volume Serial Number is 346D-A0D9

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 ApplicationServer

10/29/2013 06:12 AM 882,112 A5ApplicationServer.exe
                10/29/2013 03:45 AM 18,432 A5HotFix.exe
                10/29/2013 03:45 AM 5,696,000 convert.exe
                04/30/2010 09:06 AM 50,449,456 dotNet40.exe
                06/28/2013 11:58 AM 1,005,568 dotNet45.exe
                10/29/2013 03:45 AM 49,152 LicenseGen.exe
                10/29/2013 03:45 AM 365,056 Sass.exe
                11/13/2006 12:28 PM 152,064 UNWISE.EXE
                10/29/2013 03:45 AM 5,073,240 vcredist_x86.exe
                9 File(s) 63,691,080 bytes
                0 Dir(s) 10,138,116,096 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 ApplicationServer>A5Hotfix.exe
                Apply HotFix to System Addins Version 4215
                No Hotfixes found for build #4215

C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 ApplicationServer>

End of CMD log

Ben

Comment

Solved: Okay, I believe I have resolved my activation issue.

In short: "A5Hotfix.exe" is not the hot fix file/pkg, and it is not the file that contains the hotfix and the hotfix file is not downloaded with the current application server install. Once manually downloaded, I re-performed the hotfix steps (noted by Bill Griffin) and was able to activate the license as normal.

Longer Explanation (and Lesson Learned): Lenny's suggestion of capturing the A5Hotfix.exe output in the command window (shown in previous post) clarified/confirmed to me that the "A5Hotfix.exe" is not the complete hotfix solution in itself. Once I realized that, Bill Griffin's post about the hotfix file was more clear. I was able to find the original post

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...easenotes.html

In hindsight I should have visited the release notes first, it seems there is one for every version of A5. Normally, I install the development software on my computer first, in which case that interface has functionality to check for, allow you to read, and install updates. In this case I was trying to setup the new application server first and had not yet installed the developer software and systematically read through these release notes. Lesson Learned: Read the release notes!.

Comment

Working...
                  X