Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Startup form(s) not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup form(s) not working

Using V-10 of A5.

No DB will load the startup form indicated in the File>DB Properties

All the boxes seem to be checked.

Another database, one I call from a one table/one field/one form database and the form is nothing more than a menu to other databases does not open any startup form when others are called. All the others have boxes checked and correct form names identified/trying to be called. Even when starting this basic of basic forms indicating it is a startup form it does not load the form.

Any suggestions as to where to look or how to proceed? I have searched the forum and found several other threads on the subject. I have followed all the suggestions/protocols used before but nothing seems to work.

Thanks

Re: Startup form(s) not working

Suggest you start alpha five from the startup button. Then open the database from the File menu. Do you get the startup form you want?

Next question(s):

a) what operating system are you using?

b) running locally, or over network?

c) if network, how are you starting the database?

The only time I've seen this is when I had two copies of the database in different directories and my desktop shortcut was pointing to the wrong one.

Comment

Hi Tom

I presume from Startup Button you are meaning Windows Startup button?

a) Windows 7

b) Locally

c) NA

I access A5 one two ways,

1) I have a shortcut manager software so I can type the assigned name, press F 8 and A5 opens the assigned adb file to the A5 option of "stuff".

2) I access via desktop shortcut, choose the Recent Database button, More Databases (I never get a recent list of adb) and the default directory is the current directory of adb I am working on. Chose the adb and I go to the A5 choice of options, same as the above method of opening A5.

There is only one directory for this adb.

Comment

FYI

the AutoExec file under the code tab will not run either.

Comment

Has this ever worked? What changed?

Comment

As I recall, it worked when I had Version 8. At that time my OS was XP.

So, changes are OS to Windows 7 and A5 to V10. This is my first application since installing V10 and it has been at least 4 years since developing a V8 application.

There would be nothing within the application that has changed, given I just started putting it together about 30 days ago.

Just yesterday I started to put an opening Menu in place so it has never been there to change.

Comment

In my searches of the board I do note several others have had this problem with earlier versions. They never really indicated if there was resolution though. Most of the solutions offered were focused on using the Settings and AutoExec concept.

Comment

I suggest you uninstall a5v10, reboot, then reinstall outside the program files folders.

Comment

Tom

I followed your suggestion and

1) used control panel to remove A5V10

2) shut computer down

3) Started computer again

4) Installed A5V10 outside Program Files (x86) to highest level on C drive- C:\A5V10

5) Went into Settings and noted that all settings from previous installation were in place, including startup form to Yes and the form name MainMenu

6) Closed my application and opened Alpha Sports. The Alpha Sports Startup Main Menu did not load. I was defaulted, once again to the main system tab/choice screen.

Its an after Halloween gremlin I tell ya!

Comment

Here are some images

startupFormOptions-3.JPGstartupFormOptions-2.JPGstartupFormOptions-1.JPG

Comment

Suggest you disable or reduce the UAC "User Account Control" settings on your machine.

Did you log on with Administrator privileges before re-installing Alpha Five?

I'm running Build 4369-3712, how about you?
                      Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

As I recall, unpatched, ver 10 was VERY quirky.

Make sure you follow Tom's suggestion and get patched up to the latest level.

Comment

Tom C

I am always logged in as The Administrator.

I am running the same V10 patch as you, Build 4369-3712. That said, I was not before reading your latest post. Before the DL of the latest patch, I used the About Alpha 5 link under help. it would not bring up the box that describes the latest version. So I completed the DL, rebooted the system and went into A5. I still was not able to view the About Alpha box, which displays the latest version in use.

Tom H.

thanks for the suggestion; I think I have followed his instructions.

Comment

The only other thing I might suggest is to (once again) uninstall A5. restart your machine. Check that all A5 associated files and folders are OFF the C drive.

Run a Registry cleaner to remove any registry entries.

Once you know you are clean, re-install A5.

Start A5. Close A5. Run the patches in.

Start A5 again and check if the Help box appears.

I know this sounds crazy, but I remember that in at least 1 release, we had to have A5 start once before applying the patches, or they wouldn't apply properly. Something with the registry.

Tom

Comment

Tom C and Tom H

Thanks for the help and advise. I have done my best to follow the instructions to the letter.

Unfortunately nothing worked. The Registry Cleaner/Repair found HUNDREDS or maybe even thousands of errors and they were fixed. I guess it is to be thought of as amazing how much malingering A5 leaves behind as part of its footprint.

I guess now it is up to Alpha, who no longer is in support of V10, to offer some suggestions, or maybe not. This question, like the same question offered by other Vxx users, it too will be unsolved unless some one comes forth and proclaims they have the solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X