Alpha Video Training

Thread: MySQL Error, "Error occured: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)"

Real Name
    William F Greenberg

Default MySQL Error, "Error occured: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)"

After updating my Win 8 to win 8.1 - I now cannot connect to MySQL server. I'm getting the following message,

"Error occured: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)"

Can anyone help me with this?

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: MySQL Error, "Error occured: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)"

I have heard that there are issues with 8.1
    I have Windows 8 Pro Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200 and have no problems I am aware of.
    Regardless, I do not think 8.1 had a connection issue I think it was more about visual styling - but again I saw other posts about serious issues with 8.1 My advice would be to call Alpha directly and chat with them on Monday - or revert back to 8

On another note - what was your motivation to go to 8.1 is the extra .1 worth it? I see no real advances of any interest to me so was wondering what you saw in it.
    thanks and sorry to see your having one of "those" days!

Real Name
    William F Greenberg

Default Re: MySQL Error, "Error occured: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061)"

If you can tell me how to get back to Win 8 I will run back to it thanking you every step of the way.

In answer to your question I am an idiot that always goes for the latest S**t. Never again. I will from today forward be happy with what I have and that it works. Do you know how I can unravel my Win 8.1 mess?

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    James A. Talbott, Jr.

Bill,
    From this page:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...to-windows-8-1

I see this:
    Uninstalled Workbench & SQL Server, then re installed. Schemas were reloaded. Windows 8.1 Update is a pain!

Jay Talbott
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I recommend a good clean, fresh install and never rely on the OS for anything you want to keep -- in other words keep all of YOUR files on external drives backed up to an online storage or something like dropbox. I like a program called allwaysync http://allwaysync.com/
    its real simple and cheap!
    I could re-install windows tonight knowing I will not lose anything vital. That's a good feeling! and something I learned the hard way...oh and stay off of crazy pron sites, lol

Real Name
    William F Greenberg

Jay Talbott I was able to follow your link and I uninstalled MySQL as you suggested and reinstalled. I'm now up and running.

Can't thank you enough for the help. I don't know what I was thinking when I just updated Win 8 to Win 8.1 without really thinking of the consequences. If I had a site up and running with clients using it I don't know how I would have handled it with the MySQL being down for two days. I would have been out of business. I'm going to have to think allot more before I go and do anything to jeaperdise my application.

Also Charles Parker you are right about making it easy to rebuild my computer at anytime I need to. I'll look into keeping my apps on a backup drive ready to reinstall when needed.

Thanks you both.

Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BillWFG View Post
    Jay Talbott I was able to follow your link and I uninstalled MySQL as you suggested and reinstalled. I'm now up and running.

Can't thank you enough for the help. I don't know what I was thinking when I just updated Win 8 to Win 8.1 without really thinking of the consequences. If I had a site up and running with clients using it I don't know how I would have handled it with the MySQL being down for two days. I would have been out of business. I'm going to have to think allot more before I go and do anything to jeaperdise my application.

Also Charles Parker you are right about making it easy to rebuild my computer at anytime I need to. I'll look into keeping my apps on a backup drive ready to reinstall when needed.

Thanks you both.

Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Be very weary of updates to a production site.
    Usually, if you want to upgrade a production site with patches, test this on a testing server.

I dont recommend upgrading an entire OS. In fact, Im sure you servers would be running some flavor of Windows Server.
    So you dont have to worry about 8.0,8.1 etc etc
    Your best bet would be - setup a test box with windows 8.1, deploy the app on it, get everything working, then once confirmed, you can change the DNS to point to the new box (or take your stab at upgrading the actual production box).
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.