Alpha Video Training

Thread: Best Practice for sub-components in mobile applications - video UX_V12--54

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Best Practice for sub-components in mobile applications - video UX_V12--54

Hey Everyone,

The video UX_V12--54 discusses two main ways to build mobile applications with multiple sub-components. One ways is a completely separate dialog and the other is with embedded dialogs. Both seem to work but want to know if anyone has experienced positives/negatives with either? Whats the gold standard?

Cheers,

Scott

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Best Practice for sub-components in mobile applications - video UX_V12--54

Hi Scott,

There are some advantages to each method. You have a little more control through the builder when opening a child component in a pop-up window vs embedding it as an object. For example, you cannot release an embedded component's memory after it is rendered. It is possible if you write your own Javascript, but it is probably more complex than making a single function call like you can do with a pop-up window. I usually want my child components to stay cached in memory once they are rendered, so this is not important to me. It may be down the road if I find that my app is using more memory than an average mobile device can handle. I will deal with that problem when I get there. Using pop-up windows are probably a little more efficient. There is probably a little more overhead with embedded objects when using panels because the parent component must have a panelcard container reserved for the embedded component.

The advantage of using an embedded object for me is ease-of-use. Embedded objects are much more obvious because you see a visual representation of the object in the parent component's control tree. The builder options for the embedded object are more visible because they are right there in the the parent component's properties area when you select the embedded object in the tree view. If you were using a pop-up window, you would need to know which event opens the window and then open up the Action Javascript builder to see the options it uses.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Re: Best Practice for sub-components in mobile applications - video UX_V12--54

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your detailed response! Really helpful. I think I will start with embedded since I don't expect my mobile application will hog that much memory to start with.

Cheers,

Scott