Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem on showing all content inside iFrame Panel on iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem on showing all content inside iFrame Panel on iPhone

Hi,

Before I had download a "ux_pdf" sample to learn how to open PDF inside Iframe panel, I apply those code sample in a my development, I found that work fine in working preview but getting problem in Remote Test on iPhone4, there are 2 problems as follows :

1) the PDF cannot fully shown on the IFrame Panel, only part of content, it cannot shown as the working preview or scrolling. Also try to include "overflow" with diff. option in Panel Body Style, same problem without scroll bar & scrolling up & down / left & right. Does anyone have solution ?

2) the PDF content cannot display immeditately unless to change the iPhone posture (such as Vertical to Horizontal) then display. Does any idea what happen ?

Thanks a lot !

rdgs,
    Chester

Re: Problem on showing all content inside iFrame Panel on iPhone

I'm displaying PDFs on both Android and iOS devices using iFrames.

I've had some challenges with them but not specifically resizing.

My challenges have been:
    1. PDFs do NOT natively display on Android (they do on iOS).
    2. There are greater browser variations than device variations (e.g., Firefox vs. Chrome)
    3. It gets more involved when there are other document types (e.g., powerpoint, Word, MP3s, Flash, etc)

Having looked through options whereby you compile a specific "viewer" into PhoneGap, embedded javascript PDF viewers, snapshot-pdf-to-image, etc, my solution is:
    1. (A) I continue to leave the "display in native iFrame" option
    2. (B) I reformat my documents and pass them through the google doc viewer

However, for basic PDF display, here is the code I'm using. Nothing fancy to be sure.

Javascript function to be called from a button or other on-click event
    NOTE: the name of my iFrame panel in this example is "PANEL_VIEWER_1"
    NOTE: my PDFs are stored on a remote webserver... you can use a local file also
    function js_show_via_native_viewer(arg_file_path) {
    // Attempt to display the provided document via the client-browser
    var vl_panel_id = {dialog.object}.panelGetId('PANEL_VIEWER_1','body');
    var vl_element = $(vl_panel_id);

// Add a domain prefix (not required if the provided path includes a domain)
    vl_element.src = 'http://www.SomeDomain.com' + arg_file_path;

{dialog.object}.panelSetActive('PANEL_VIEWER_1',true);

}

It's easier to demonstrate than write about. Email me if you want to see it.

Allan

Comment

Hi Allen,

Thank you for your responds, actually the problem is not how to load the content to IFrame, the problem is the IFrame panel display the PDF content only 1/4 of the document on iPhone, just the left hand corner of the document. The panel doesn't provide scroll bar to let me read thru the document. Anyway, I found one of the video "Alpha List URL" in which introduced how to open a URL to a new browser. It is properly work on iPhone & most likely on .

Thank you very much indeed.

Chester

Comment

Chester,

I've found that when I used webkit (the core of several web-browsers) I could specify the degree of scaling, scrolling, etc.
        With Alpha "UX" components they have been auto-resizing for me using the code that I noted.

As noted however, this will not work on an Android device. Android does not come equipped with a PDF viewer. You
        can add various free and paid versions... but you can't expect a user of your application to have to download another supporting
        app.

For this reason I now take all of my URLs (one for each PDF) and pass them through the "Google Document Viewer". This is a
        matter of formatting the URL properly and then simply adding the URL to an iFRAME. The URL then reaches through Google
        to your PDF, pulls it back with rendering, and then displays it.

This works well for PDFs, WORD, EXCEL, and POWERPOINT.

This method works on all devices and requires no third-party supporting app.

Just some tidbits that may help in the future.

Comment

Hi Allen,

Thanks you very very much indeed for you information. I will keep it for reference & further studies.

Chester

Comment

Allan,

Are you willing to for a price to help me integrate the functionality you mention here with google docs into my own web app?

Comment

I try the above example as all of my documents are PDF's but I can not get the PDF to span the width of the viewport and I am unable to scroll the pdf

Comment

Cole, Just saw your note. Why don't I simply show you what I'm doing and you can see for yourself if it would help you. I'll email you directly with my contact info.

Comment

Hi ParJammer, I am having exactly the same problems, can you help me as I need to print pdf in iPad

Comment

Somewhat delayed response... I'm traveling for work. Ping me if this still exists as a problem. The solution I originally posted still works fine. I'm expecting to improve the method in the next few weeks as I prepare some apps for release.

Comment

Hi Allan

Can you show me how you manage to view pdf and print pdf in IPad. my email is [email protected]

Comment

Hey Phan,

I am using the method that Allan suggested and it scales/renders the PDF nicely using the google docs viewer but even though I am passing in a parameter that should allow printing, the print option does not become available for me.
                        Last edited by coleresources; 06-30-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I sent a sample codeset to Phan9413. Glad the earlier effort is working for you Josh.

Comment

Allan,

Thank you and I wish I had something I could contribute to one of your projects. You are on a different level then I am though.

I could never enable printing from the google docs viewer interface

Comment

I've been off doing other necessary business tasks for a time (no coding in Alpha anywhere since February). I did find several paid solutions for easier/better and more reliable PDF management. They aren't cheap however ($20,000 insofar as they require a central server and license, etc). But I'll return to the issue in 3 weeks (end of current project). And my entire focus will be polishing one of my 10 apps for release on the digital stores. And... the one I'm release depends utterly on dependable PDF management. I may disable printing in some cases (based on authorization), but I do need to have the ability.

Comment

Working...
                              X