Alpha Video Training

Thread: Web OR Mobile?

Real Name
    Scott Campbell

Default Web OR Mobile?

Just bought A12 and wonder: What are the advantages of developing a mobile vs web-based app? Just curious...

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Default Re: Web OR Mobile?

Do you mean mobile vs desktop ? both are web based.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Mobile... specific tools for touch enabled devices. Often an app can be developed for both. Sometimes the app makes more sense on mobile than web. A web app can contain a subset that is geared towards mobile.

Real Name
    Greg Blanton

"A web app can contain a subset that is geared towards mobile."

Have you seen any working examples of this type of app? Managed through security settings?

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Quote Originally Posted by gblanton View Post
    "A web app can contain a subset that is geared towards mobile."

Have you seen any working examples of this type of app? Managed through security settings?
    Take a look at any of the videos that show how to use panels. Panels are just special containers that allow you to format the pages so they will show properly on mobile devices. They also work really well for desktop views. I just finished building app for a customer where we built a mobile interface with panels then used the same interface on the desktop for that particular function. This way the users were presented with the same controls and operations for either desktop of mobile.

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

What I mean is that you can have an extensive web application with smaller, meaningful bits designed to run on mobile. I'm involved with a massive manufacturing application... desktop and web, but no mobile. Now they want a mobile aspect so they can walk around their plant, pick a PO from a List and get detail about it's manufacturing status. Perfect for mobile. I'll probably use the AppLauncher since it can detect mobile devices and it contains built-in login. What is it that you're after?

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    What I mean is that you can have an extensive web application with smaller, meaningful bits designed to run on mobile. I'm involved with a massive manufacturing application... desktop and web, but no mobile. Now they want a mobile aspect so they can walk around their plant, pick a PO from a List and get detail about it's manufacturing status. Perfect for mobile. I'll probably use the AppLauncher since it can detect mobile devices and it contains built-in login. What is it that you're after?
    That is exactly what you can do. What I have is code on the index page that detects a mobile device, it then directs mobile users to a mobile login screen (this was before app launcher and integrated login features). The mobile login screen is designed with larger fonts. Once logged in, the users are taken to a UX with panels that contains the application components. In these instances you design with List Controls instead of grids. Think of List Control as a grid and the detail view for entry is a panel or pop up windows with fields. What I did to help the end users was to create a panel component that works both on the desktop view and on any mobile device so the users experience is similar between the two.

If all you a looking for is to view data you can get something going in a few hours.

Tom