Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Priceless: HTML editor now broken... Always something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Priceless: HTML editor now broken... Always something...

Since you do your development on your own computer - remove ie11 on your computer, since it will run ok on a computer with ie11, just not create or edit
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
      Since you do your development on your own computer - remove ie11 on your computer, since it will run ok on a computer with ie11, just not create or edit
      Martin: The HTML editor started working again, with IE11 installed, and I haven't changed anything in windows..... ~ I did review and change a few settings in a5 v.11 options, but I had not done this (or made any changes) for the purpose of trying to fix it. I was just reviewing the options, as I hadn't done so in quite some time.....
      Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
      It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
      RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

what changes did you make? I went back to IE 10
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

what changes did you make? I went back to IE 10
          Hi Martin;

I don't think I did a darn thing of "significance" to "FIX THIS", but "you never know." ~ I just confirmed seconds ago, it still appears to be working fine.

I know I changed the default theme in settings, but I switched it back to "Subtle Glass." I also turned of "XP Theme Support." And although I'm not using the web side now, I also switched the Grid ADO data source setting to "YES." Finally, I changed the date setting so that dates from 00 to 30 (instead of 20) were considered 21'st century.

Aside from routine automatic windows updates, nothing new has been installed. I did make a change to ONE windows settings. I changed the date and time formats to Canada and back. (For another piece of software, I had previously changed the date/time settings because these settings are not only used to show dates.) Apparently they effect how other programs use date info in places you wouldn't expect. (Like when generating default names of files.) In doing so, I also realized that there was one setting that had never before been correctly applied during the windows install. Not sure, but it may have been the "non Unicode display setting." (see screen captures) ~ Obviously I corrected this too.

The one other thing I did do was navigate through each of the settings in a5 options (for review) before pressing the save button. (You never know.)

PS: With regards to the system date settings in Windows, I had set the short date setting to yyyy-MM-dd. Ironically this was causing the date() function in a5 to show January 3, 2013 as 3-1-2013 instead of 01/03/2013. So I had to set the short date back to MM/dd/yyyy to get correct results in a5. I had figured the most thorough way to reset date display was to switch to something eose (Canada) and back (to US). ~ I doubt this is a related issue, but again: "Who knows?"

One other strange thing I now see is a new toolbar object showing in the windows start bar. (Text and services input language support.) It just appeared, I didn't add it. I suspect it had something to do with changing date display from US to Canada to US. (Or maybe the unicode setting I fixed?)

I hope this helps, let me know.

Snap 2014-01-05 at 23.48.08.png Snap 2014-01-05 at 23.57.23.pngSnap 2014-01-05 at 23.53.37.png
          Last edited by SNusa; 01-06-2014, 01:07 AM.
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Here's "proof" I'm no longer experiencing the issue.
            (Of course, I am presently running the most current nightly build of v.11.
            Snap 2014-01-06 at 00.09.55.png Snap 2014-01-06 at 00.12.19.png

Hey, have to update this post... 15 minutes after responding, somehow, the HTML editor stopped working again.... WEIRD!
            Here's the error I'm getting now (again), before it opens. I don't understand what's going on..... I haven't rebooted or anything.
            Snap 2014-01-06 at 01.24.47.png

I got it working again by navigating through ALL the a5 settings. (Didn't fix the problem at first though.) I had to go back into settings a second time, turned XP theme on and off again & also toggled auto backup on and off. (I didn't save any of these settings though.) ~ I only toggled them on/off before saving settings, so the net change was 0.) After that (with the control panel active) I selected the HTML editor from the a5 view menu. It opened without a problem. Then I tried to click on the pencil (on an HTML field that used to work then didn't.....) It's working again!

Oddly enough, I had been messing around with date and time number formats trying to remember what I had changed to make it work (while responding to your inquire as to what I had changed.) I think this was what "broke it" again. Either that, or just reviewing a5 settings has something to do with breaking the HTML editor....

Whatever the causes/reason, it is "minor", although it's quite "irritating."
            Last edited by SNusa; 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
              Also: I don't know if it's still an issue, but I did have to "give in" (many moons ago) and switch my windows login (for the purpose of using a5 without problems) to an administrative level account. I don't know if this is still an issue, but it certainly was. (And it still is for some of the add-ins like the CSDA code utility.)
              Actually, all CSDA products respect UAC. However, Alpha Five version 9 and up do not properly automatically load AEX libraries in the system upon start unless they are in certain window system directories, which requires violation of UAC. The moment an Alpha Five version works in this regard, all CSDA product installations will place the AEX libraries in a UAC compatible location.

Later versions of A5v8 and the earliest versions of A5v9 did work, but it has never been fixed since then.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thanks Ira, that's good to know. I should probably download the newest version.
                I'm finally at the point where it is useful & I'm not "overwhelmed" by addins and extra utilities.....

PS: After 25+ years, I'm now finally using a system without a conventional BIOS. I frequently think of you when the system "boots." ~ I wonder whether UEFI will last 25 years?

Comment

Update: HTML editor still working fine in v.11 with ie11 installed! Whatever the bug is, it's a minor one that can be bypassed (presumably by reviewing all the option fields and "double toggling" a few fields settings before saving the changes so that there are none.) How weird, but it seemed to work....

How strange: Lost it again this morning 01/07/14 after changing code editor color settings file, but got it back...
                  (Awesome by the way Cal! ~ I wonder whether the color coding file would this also work in v.12?)
                  Went through all the settings and toggled a few back and forth. Couldn't get it back (trying everything) until I exited a5, restarted it &:
                  Opened up a xBasic script for editing. Made no edits, closed script and then everything was working once again...
                  Last edited by SNusa; 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I GIVE UP.... I can repeatedly get the html editor to work, but I cannot keep it working between a5/windows sessions.....

Once I get it working, it continues to work until I exit Alpha and (or?) do "specific things" in Windows, outside a5. ~ Then I have to "play with a5 settings" all over again..... (Exactly what those "specific things" are, I do not know.)

Last time it broke, all I did was close & re-open a5, and run the following simple script from the control panel. (After that everything was working fine, again.)
                    How simple, how bizarre!

Code:
                    'Date Created: 03-Jan-2014 11:44:51 PM
                    'Last Updated: 04-Jan-2014 12:47:40 AM
                    'Created By  : Business
                    'Updated By  : Business
                    'Exit Alpha Five.
                    :a5.close()
                    Last edited by SNusa; 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

why fight it - if you remove ie11 and use ie10 or 9 or 8 - you won't have the issue - it is a development iassue only, not a runtime issue for the client

PS: I can export and imort a form just fine
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Martin, I agree. Definitely a "phantom bug" anyways.

As for exporting and importing a from from db1 to db2 after deleting it from db2 (on the same computer & drive) that is good news. They apparently addressed that one.
                        Either that or before I had been trying to import the from to db2 before deleting it in db2 first. Regardless, I remember the form appearing as a second instance in the wrong database. (And also the "unpack destination selection screen" failed to appear when I was encountering this isssue.)

What I had been using the "export/import .a5pkg routine for was: To restore a specific form from an identical backup. (For a period of time, I had occasionally encountered form corruption in v.11, where the form would not open after working with embedded browse buttons. ~ So I got in the habit of backing up the entire database "just in case." (The problem with editing the buttons was further complicated due to the fact that these buttons did not appear properly during the preview stage. They were generated properly, but all I could see was a "mess of overlaying text" on the preview screens as I built them. And occasionally, this "seemingly unrelated bug" resulted in "entire form corruption. (in v.11 last winter/spring) ~ And the only way to "test" and see these "conditional browse buttons based on .dbf data" was to run the form.

In any event: Importing an .a5pkg had resulted in the following screen also not appearing as it should. (And the form was consequently inserted as a duplicate form, into the original (backup) database from which it had originally been exported.... (if that make sense) I suspect that "exporting & importing an .a5pkg" was originally designed for sending a form from one computer to another. (and not from one "workspace" to another on the same drive.)

Snap 2013-03-30 at 07.58.47.png Snap 2013-01-10 at 20.29.02.png Snap 2013-01-23 at 11.09.23.png
                        The first two screen captures above were some of the more complicated buttons. But this also happened with some simple ones too.
                        These "messed up previews" of the buttons actually worked fine on the form. (even though they appear to be "trashed")
                        (The third image was the selection screen that was not appearing during the .a5pkg unpacking process.)
                        Last edited by SNusa; 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I used it to copy from one workspace to another workspace on my computer (using the latest version of V12) and it imported perfectly.
                          Did you remove IE11, yet?
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

I used it to copy from one workspace to another workspace on my computer (using the latest version of V12) and it imported perfectly.
                            Did you remove IE11, yet?
                            I did not Martin. (not yet anyways) Having the option of "migrating my desktop application to v.12" (which I've technically had access to since the beta came out with my subscription).... I'm trying to decide whether to finish my project in v.11, or install v.12 and "not look back."

I just posted the following question on the v.12 desktop forum: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...KTOP-APP-build
                            Based on your experience, I have litte doubt that you are "one of the few" who could honestly & objectively answer it, given on your current experience with v.12 & your long time user of "everything Alpha." (If you're too busy, I completely understand.)
                            Last edited by SNusa; 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I have another development platform that can do desktop, Windows 8.X, Mac OS, web, mobile, the whole smear.
                              I don't suppose you're allowed to hint on this forum at what that platform might be??

Comment

I would recommend moving to V12, if practical. That way, in future versions of Windows, Windows updates, browser changes, etc. there is a greater chance Alpha will make changes to the desktop and therefore keep you going.
                                972 524 8714
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X