Alpha Video Training

Thread: Win 7-64-bit problem

Real Name
    doug silver

Default Win 7-64-bit problem

First--don't tell me to read through all the posts as I have already done that. My problem is that I have some old Alpha 4 version 8 databases that I need to refer to very occasionally. I had successfully been running A4v8 on the WinXP machine at my company but they just transitioned me to a new Win 7-64 bit machine much to my chagrin. I have found that most stuff runs okay with some tweaking and I have been able to install A4v8 but whenever I try starting the winagent screen briefly pops up and then the message "PDF driver could not be initialized".

I tried all the tricks like trying the manual install of the driver using the install_pdf.exe file but of course it will not install. I did install a 64-bit Amyuni printer by downloading the latest Alpha Five trial but that has done no good.

I really do NOT need to print anything and just want to be able to view this old database. Is there something I can change in the Alpha_Start1.Bat file that calls winagent than enables skipping over the print driver or some other solution?

Thanks,

Doug

Real Name
    Alan Tattersall

Default Re: Win 7-64-bit problem

I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit. If you've no printing to do I would suggest that running A4 under dosbox (which is free) may be the easiest way to go. It's what I do and it works fine.

Real Name
    doug silver

Quote Originally Posted by tatteralan View Post
    I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit. If you've no printing to do I would suggest that running A4 under dosbox (which is free) may be the easiest way to go. It's what I do and it works fine.
    That is EXACTLY what I tried since DosBox has saved me umpteen times in the past (and present) with running older Dos software (I have a couple of specialized programs that were written under Dos but not Windows). Anyway, when I try to run A4v8 in DosBox it tells me "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

So how exactly do you get A4v8 to run in DoxBox?

Thanks,

Doug

Real Name
    doug silver

Never mind--just figured it out. Instead of running a4.exe I need to invoke a4v8.exe--THAT WORKS IN DOSBOX!!! HOORAY!!!

Real Name
    Alan Tattersall

I think I went through the same learning curve but had forgotten all about it

Real Name
    doug silver

Yeah--there should be some STICKY post here that just suggests trying DosBox but of course the trick is knowing the correct EXE file to run. Both Richard Rabins and another tech, Brett Johnston were unable to come up with this easy answer and I suggested that they pass along this information as well.

Doug