Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Migrate to Win 7 x64 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrate to Win 7 x64 Issue

Trying to move an Alpha5 v3.04 app from XP SP3 computer to new Win 7 x64 computer and having compatibility issues.

The install file does not work.

So far I have moved the Alpha folder from Program Files on the old machine to it's own folder on the new machine (not in Program Files)

Executing the program in various compatibility modes does not work.

It's crashing in KernelBase.dll, fwiw

Can anybody offer any suggestions on doing this?

Thx, z

Re: Migrate to Win 7 x64 Issue

Run it in XP mode.
    Depends on what version of Win7 you are using. It should be free with the Professional version.
    The install file does not work.
    What error message?
    You cannot just lift and shift. There needs to be an install process.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I'm afraid the Setup.exe file does not run in XP mode either.......

Says the version of this program (Setup.exe) is not compatible with this version ....blah blah blah

It's strange since I was even able to run MSPublisher from 1997 on this machine. There were some issues, but was able to work around them by expanding the .cab files into the install folder.

Unfortunately this is not possible with the Alpha5 Setup.

Am using Win 7 Ultimate x64

What is the earliest version that runs on Win 7 (on my machine that is)

And what kind of hoops must be jumped through to have the system run on a later version (That is if there is no other way to get v3.04 running)........i.e. all the operations, browses, reports, etc etc

z
      Last edited by Zardiw; 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

What is the earliest version that runs on Win 7 (on my machine that is)
        I have V9 running on a Win7 64 pc.

You did run it as Administrator? Did you run a compatibility check on the install .exe first?
        3.04 might well be a 16 bit app and then you are dead.
        Try going back to set the app to run in Windows 95 in the Troubleshoot Compatibility and see if it has any effect.

And what kind of hoops must be jumped through to have the system run on a later version
        Probably a rebuild of the Forms. The problem is that going from release 3 to release 11 or 12 means that it is probably easier to just use the tables in the database and start again on the UI. If you have scripts and functions they may not work the same way. However, opening them and re-saving them sometimes works. Not had that big a gap to overcome.
        How many tables are in the database?
        What is the application?

If you need further help, my email is at the bottom.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I solved the problem.........A5v3.04 runs just dandy in Win XP Mode using a Virtual PC........ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7

If you are running an AMD CPU you probably need a hotfix KB Article Number(s): 2519949

You apply the HotFix after you install the Virtual PC (B4 you run XP Mode for the first time)

OH, and btw, the Install file Setup.exe crashed in XP mode, so I just copied the entire Program Files folder from my old computer into the Program files folder of the C: Local Disk of the virtual PC, and everything is running fine.

There is one .dll that you need to copy into your program folder from Windows/System32..........maybe a few more...don't know....it will tell you which ones when you first run it.

The file associations got set during the failed install, so I just double click on my database .adb file and A5 starts up and runs as it normally did.......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

z

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
            I solved the problem.........A5v3.04 runs just dandy in Win XP Mode using a Virtual PC........ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7

If you are running an AMD CPU you probably need a hotfix KB Article Number(s): 2519949

You apply the HotFix after you install the Virtual PC (B4 you run XP Mode for the first time)

OH, and btw, the Install file Setup.exe crashed in XP mode, so I just copied the entire Program Files folder from my old computer into the Program files folder of the C: Local Disk of the virtual PC, and everything is running fine.

There is one .dll that you need to copy into your program folder from Windows/System32..........maybe a few more...don't know....it will tell you which ones when you first run it.

The file associations got set during the failed install, so I just double click on my database .adb file and A5 starts up and runs as it normally did.......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

z
            Hans

Thanks for the update on your success on your journey.

Please keep us posted on the continued testing that you do to ensure that those little gremlins don't poke their heads and cause an unexpected problem.

I've also debating if this thread should be moved to the a5v3 forum. Not to bury it, but to put it in the proper forum.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
            X