New call-to-action

Thread: "Can not update xxxxx file"

Real Name
    Don Walton

Default "Can not update xxxxx file"

I get this message when i try to COMPACT the database? "Can not up this file" What is wrong with the file that it wont update? What did I do to the file?

Don Walton

"Certified" Alphaholic G Gabriel's Avatar
    Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Default Re: "Can not update xxxxx file"

It's probably open.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

try closing and re-opening the database, and try again - if it fails again it is the Alpha registry indicating it is still open. If so, see the code archive for functions that clean the Alpha registry

If it is on a server, and it still fails, you will need a utility to close it or restart the server
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Don Walton

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    try closing and re-opening the database, and try again - if it fails again it is the Alpha registry indicating it is still open. If so, see the code archive for functions that clean the Alpha registry

If it is on a server, and it still fails, you will need a utility to close it or restart the server

Real Name
    Don Walton

If it is the Alpha registry indicating the file is still open, how do I go about finding the functions that will clean the Alpha Registry? What might be the name of one that will clean the registry? I cant find the code archive even!!

Don Walton

Real Name
    Don Walton

Martin

I did find the code archive, i think, but am not sure which function would CLOSE the file i am haveing trouble with!!?? Can you help??

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Did you close the Alpha app, reopen it and try again?

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...n-the-registry

read the above thread - the whole thing
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Don,

let me jump in here (at the risk of further confusing things)...

1) the error msg you're getting suggests the table is "open". This may simply mean that a form or report based on that table is "open" because whenever a layout is open the supporting table(s) are opened automatically. So, first step for you to try and then to tell us about... close all open forms or reports. then run the database compact from the Alpha control panel.

2) still having trouble? are you in an office running Alpha over a local network? If so, are the workstations shadowed? If not shadowed you would get this error if any workstation on the network had a form or report open. Somewhere on the network the table is open. So, close Alpha Five on all workstations, and try again. If you network optimized your workstations, the same problem can occur. Close alpha on all workstations then log directly on to the database on the server (without using your own shadowed shortcut) and try again.

3) still having trouble? have you been doing development work and crashed alpha five somewhere along the way? Have you had power outage or brownouts that caused you to restart Alpha five? If so, the error msg you're seeing will happen if your server operating system has the table "open" This might happen if the table were opened on the server, and then the workstation crashed. Leaves the table open on the server if you see what I mean. In this case you can turn off all machines, including the server. When the server restarts the table will no longer be open.

-- tom

Real Name
    Don Walton

Martin

I will try running one or more of these functions hoping that it will solve my problem!! I thank you ALOT for you help!! Hope i haven't been a PITA!!

Don Walton