Alpha Video Training

Thread: Failed to Save Document / Failed to Open Document

Real Name
    Kyle

Default Failed to Save Document / Failed to Open Document

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to Alpha and I've been noticing some error messages that occur sporadically that I can't seem to identify the source.

We have a Windows server 2003 box with about 40 scheduled task that will run various scripts throughout the day. Every now and then the the task will start and immediately an error message of "Failed to Save Document" is thrown or "Failed to Open Document". I've done my research and I know that this is usually caused by an incorrect path or the network connection to that path was lost. The problem with that is everything is saved to the local hard drives and not on the network. I've double and triple checked the paths and they are all correct.

The weird thing about this is, when the "Failed to Save Document" error is thrown I'll press OK and the script will run without any issues. Also, this problem is very sporadic and there isn't a rhyme or reason as to why the error has occured. Lastly, if I don't press OK and subsequent Alpha scheduled jobs will either give the "Failed to Save Document" or "Failed to Open Document" error.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kyle Nelson

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Failed to Save Document / Failed to Open Document

I've done my research and I know that this is usually caused by an incorrect path or the network connection to that path was lost.
    Or a windows permissions issue.

The weird thing about this is, when the "Failed to Save Document" error is thrown I'll press OK and the script will run without any issues.
    Why weird (?), the connection has probably been restored.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Kyle

I'm fairly sure that it isn't a windows permission issue because I can re-run the script after a failure and it runs without any issues.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a problem with our NAS. The database resides on a NAS and I suppose it could be possible that the server lost the connection to the NAS temporarily. Have you ran into this issue before by chance?

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Not personally but some who work in our office use laptops with wireless connections. They encounter the same message occasionally due to dropped connections.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Irwin Cohen

Using a v9 desktop application on a 5 user lan with a windows server I have seen the "failed to save document" message ten or more times in the last few years. The users are using the runtime under windows 7 with no shadowing. Closing the app and restarting usually cleared the message. But once I was actually running the a5v9 on the server using the full development a5v9 itself and got the error. On that occasion I closed the database but reopening it gave the same error. I then opened an old copy of the same database (a backup a few days old) and did not get an error. I closed the old DB and opened the production DB again with no error. I would also like to understand this. But since I was working on the server I do not think it was a connection error. Some how I think it has something to do with the .RMUF file or .MUF (tracking multi-user count) but I am just guessing. Does anybody know what file the error message is referring to?
    Irwin

Real Name
    Kyle

Well for any users in the future that come across this problem here is what the resolution was for this issue. I ended up changing the start times of the scheduled tasks. After some logging and many headaches, I found a pattern that when multiple Alpha 5 instances start at the exact same time it can throw these error messages. Changing the start time of the scheduled task ensured that there wasn't multiple instances of Alpha 5 starting at the exact same time.

Real Name
    Edwin

We get this error when a user launches the application, the login dialogue displays and the user does not login right away, then subsequent users that attempt to login get the "Failed to save document" error. This usually is more common in the mornings, when everyone is trying to login to the application around the same time. It is just a warning though, if one click "OK", the application starts without problems.
    This is my experience with this issue; I have several clients that are using the Runtime Client with many users, and we see situation in both places.