Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Checking Existing Time/Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checking Existing Time/Date

I think Charlie is OK, Ray. Probably topping up his sun tan in the Caribbean.
    He usually replies.
    I hope John posts an example, as I'm keen on seeing what his Xdialog (Ugh!!) looks like.
    How's the new job?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Right on schedule with that so far Ted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
        Show us how you would do that please John. Others will be interested.
        Ted,
        You know I love xdialog, so I'll take this one on (see attached ).
        Attached Files
        Mike W

Comment

Wrote one years ago on a simple form. Memory - help! I think version 5?
          drop down on form to choose name/id ( they had to supply password)
          if they were not clocked in, they could(their name/id was marked as in with a T/F field)
          if they were clocked in, they could only clock out.
          each time they logged in the field was marked T/F
          Never a duplicate

I would never use a browse for this!

EDIT: Just remembered, we later changed it so they had to input their id and password, (eliminated the drop down). They then saw their name and status(in or out) so they could proceed.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I think we are missing the point for Charles, he doesn't need a special GUI for entering the time, he needs a way to check for existing entries, and a way for the user to deal with it when there are conflicts. He needs a custom script. In the cansave record event in the embedded browse, if one already exists, I would cancel the second entry and possibly bring up a small form as a dialog and point out the discrepancies and let the user change or not change the original.

Ted, you need to make the date and time fields in your example conform to standard entry, where they don't have to enter slashes for dates, and can just enter 3.0A or 4.25p for times. Thats why a small form opened as a dialog, where there are dates and times is always better than an xdialog, and quicker and easier to make!!
            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Dave,
              Charles is entering from a fax - the user is not entering. Someone with accounting privileges is entering a bunch of time slips from a bunch of faxes.
              972 524 8714
              [email protected]

Comment

If using a form with identifier for employee, and the inputs. also an imbedded browse where the browse would show the last(by date) records for the employee. It would show up rather quickly. You would need a browse large enough to show about 10 days of inputs.

Make sense. Like I said before, I rarely use a browse for input.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The only example in this thread is from MikeW.
                  You dont need to enter MANUALLY in the browse in that particular format. Press the button and a great Xdialog takes over.
                  The browse is there for reference only I believe.

Mike, how the heck do you remember all the syntax, let alone the sequencing - whats the trick? or is it all tediously hand coded?

Comment

Alpha Demo.zip

Here is a sample app that does what Charles wanted - note the emphasis on "what Charles wanted"

the whol;e thing took an hour to put together - albeit it is quite simple.
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

There was a hitch in the giddy-up of the first one, but here is one that will work as advertized
                      Attached Files
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
                        The only example in this thread is from MikeW.
                        You dont need to enter MANUALLY in the browse in that particular format. Press the button and a great Xdialog takes over.
                        The browse is there for reference only I believe.

Mike, how the heck do you remember all the syntax, let alone the sequencing - whats the trick? or is it all tediously hand coded?
                        Ray,
                        I learned it over time and built a nice library of templates. Then I draw from the templates and massage it to get to what I need. I like xdialog so much because it is unbound, and I can build an run them much of the time directly from the code editor without having to be in a form. And the conflicts that occur with record locking/conflicts for multi-user environments is reduced. The syntax is learned over time, and just like anything, the more you use them the more you learn to use them.

Martin, nice example. When he wrote"
                        Let's say that EmployeeA submits a timeslip for X date saying he worked from 06:00 to 15:00. Later he submits a timeslip saying he worked from 09:00 to 19:00 on the same day. How would I find this?
                        I didn't take this to mean he wanted to navigate
                        Last edited by Mike Wilson; 04-25-2014, 04:39 PM.
                        Mike W

Comment

Mike,
                          I chalenge you - use my program, but with an xdialog screen, and match the speed, simplicty, and functionality that mine offers, especialy as regards what Charles originally asked for, compared to yours, and record about how much time it took.
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Martin,

I almost like your example but what if Henry Ford works on ABC inc. from 6am to 1pm and then works on Alpha Custom Programming from 2pm to 4pm? Or works on one project all day except when he goes to lunch from 12pm to 1pm?
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Ray,

And I thought I was old school.

tb?
                              per?
                              filt?
                              reslt?

I used to work with a FoxPro guy who didn't like to "waste" characters either. Never knew what he was trying to tell me.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I don't believe that Charles had worked out how to do the initial test, ie identifying it, handling an overlap was secondary. To me the title of the post is evidence of that.
                                But wow, some nice examples came out of this.
                                As far as Xdialogs, im seriously challenged, I often create imitation ones to get around that. But I still keep trying. Nothing like the real thing.

Now just saw Peter's post.
                                If a married Jewish man is walking alone in the desert and has an opinion ? Is he still wrong?
                                Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X