Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: REQUEST: Code Archive forum needs to be split into a few sub-sections e.g. Mobile and Desktop

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default REQUEST: Code Archive forum needs to be split into a few sub-sections e.g. Mobile and Desktop

Looking through the Code Archive sub-forum here, it is not clear what platform the code is used for in each post

REQUEST: can forum moderator create some additional Code Archive forums

e.g.

1. Code Archive - Alpha Anywhere (which can include Javascript and CSS tricks)

2. Code Archive - Alpha Desktop

and maybe even a 3rd section that is for code that might be useful, but not necessarily Alpha related

3. Code Archive - Other

As a concrete example of why this is needed...

I was trying to figure out how to close a popup UX in Alpha Anywhere

So I was searching the forum for the following keywords: close window

and I came across this thread in the Code Archive:

"Function to close window(s) run a script or series of commands and the reopen window"
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ead.php?110213

it took me bit of reading and thinking to realize that the code in that function was not going to work for Alpha Anywhere

in the end, I found my answer here:
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ead.php?109797

But the main thing is, I think we should separate the Code Archive into the different branches of Alpha, since they are quite different, and to make it more clear when searching for answers.
    Last edited by mixter; 04-29-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: REQUEST: Code Archive forum needs to be split into a few sub-sections e.g. Mobile and Desktop

I agree with this and it just needs 2 at this point:
    DT
    Web(which would include mobile)

In the meantime, it would help if the poster would include WEB or DT, in the title, at the beginning of the post, Understanding we can't go back and change what we did 5 years ago.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default Re: REQUEST: Code Archive forum needs to be split into a few sub-sections e.g. Mobile and Desktop

Thinking about it I reckon the following four sub-forums would be the most concise

1. Code Archive - Alpha Desktop

2. Code Archive - Alpha Anywhere Server Side

3. Code Archive - Alpha Anywhere Browser Side (HTML5, JavaScript functions and libraries, CSS tricks, etc)

4. Code Archive - Anything Else! (e.g. windows desktop scripts, SQL Server T-SQL code and functions, any other programming language)

Arguably #2 and #3 might be combined.... but HTML5 programming is a pretty big topic in itself!

Real Name
    Robin

You can also create a folder in your forum settings and save your subscriptions to it.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

yes thanks for that, and that's fine for threads I've already discovered,

but no good when browsing through the code archive (or even finding something in the code archive after a forum search... because I have to read the thread and figure out if it applies for desktop or mobile... and I am only interested in mobile)

The code archive currently is mainly about desktop, but has a bit of mobile in there, currently it's a mish mash

I think it makes more sense to at least split the code archive into two separate forums, would be a lot clearer