Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

MIME Types: How do I add one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIME Types: How do I add one?

I want to experiment using HTML5's Application Cache (AppCache) which enables your webpages to work even when offline.
    The required mime type for this is text/cache-manifest .manifest
    How does one add a new mime type to the server?
    Rapid Development, Training, Support
    http://data2web.network
    903-740-2549

Re: MIME Types: How do I add one?

This is how I set a MIME prior to opening a PDF on an A5W page:

response.mime_type = "application/pdf"
    ?file.to_blob(filename)
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve!
      I was thinking that there might be a config file for mime types. I'll give that a shot and see how it works.
      903-740-2549

Comment

Michael, MIME types are in fact defined in a configuration file and you can extend it by adding any type desired. Open the Interactive Window of your server and execute the following (or create an A5W page with it if you are running as a service and do not have UI available) to find the location of the MIME types file for your installation.

Code:
        ?httpd_settings_get().MIMETypesFile

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks Lenny!
          I did some digging and found the file here:

Version 11:
          C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Anywhere Application Server Version 11\Installations\CProgramFilesx86a5V11ApplicationServer\MIMETypes.xml

Version 12:
          C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Anywhere Application Server Version 12\Installations\CProgramFilesx86a5V12ApplicationServer\MIMETypes.xml

.manifest was included already, but associated with MS-OneClick. Since I do not use OneClick, I replaced the association with what I needed.
          Last edited by mvaughn; 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM.
          903-740-2549

Comment

Michael,

I'm also needing to move a (relatively simple for now) web app offline. Were you able to implement using the AppCache functionality?

Comment

For any interested, I've got a single page with UX and list controls with detail views working offline in a browser. I suggest you Google for details on all of this, but the basics of an App Cache are relatively simple:

1) create a manifest file. The basics are a text file starting with CACHE MANIFEST and then a line for each file you need the browser to store--the .a5w page, image files, Javascript files (the last of which I'm still trying to figure out how to maintain well since AA has links to JS files that aren't an actual file in the webroot and each AA build uses a new filename; you can look at the source of the page, though, click the link to the AA JS to open it, and then store it as an actual file in the webroot). Save the manifest file with the extension ".manifest" (e.g. manifest.manifest) and put it in the webroot on the server.
              2) change the mime types settings for .manifest files (http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...w-do-I-add-one)
              3) change your a5w page from <html> to <html manifest="manifest.manifest">

When the page is opened in the browser offline or online, it loads everything from the App Cache. If you open the page online, it also checks to see if the manifest file has changed and if it has, the files listed in the new manifest file are loaded into the App Cache.

Comment

I'd really like to move along on this point. But when I try it Chrome's console reports:

Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (404) http://mysite/manifest.manifest
                Anyone know what I've missed?

I changed the MIME type as this:

Code:
                <mimeMap fileExtension=".manifest" mimeType="text/cache-manifest" />
                Restarted the server

Created the file in the webroot manifest.manifest as directed here and other places.

Started my page with this:

Code:
                <html manifest="manifest.manifest">
                Thanks
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I may have lied Steve. I don't actually remember exactly, but I think I recall some instructions along the way that said the manifest file should be in the same directory as the HTML file calling it (rather than the webroot). Does that help in your scenario?

Comment

I don't understand what you're suggesting Chris.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Steve, have you tested directly requesting http://mysite/manifest.manifest in a browser to make sure it works?

Lenny Forziati
                      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hadn't thought of that Lenny. Working on it, but related question: If I change the MIME type association, I presume it only takes effect when I restart the server? In which case it may be a while until I can test again so I don't kick off current users.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

I still may be incorrect, but I meant that if your page is http://www.mysite.com/myDirectory/page.a5w, the manifest.manifest file would need to be in the myDirectory folder as well.

Comment

From what I understand I believe you're correct Chris. In my current development testing, I don't have the subfolder though -- it's all directly in the A5Webroot.
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Also it's been a while since I've set this up for myself but it's not a security issue is it, where you need to allow .manifest files in the project security settings?

Comment

Working...
                              X