Alpha Video Training

Thread: Possible to use Javascript to trigger an Xbasic Button.Click event from a ButtonList.OnClick event?

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default Possible to use Javascript to trigger an Xbasic Button.Click event from a ButtonList.OnClick event?

OK this might be slightly tricky, I am stuck, so time for another forum post, yay!

I have a ButtonList

followed by two regular Buttons, let's call these Button1 and Button2

What I am trying to achieve is...

in the ButtonList.OnClick event

first I run some javascript

then I want to trigger in turn, the Click event for Button1 and Button2

Button1 runs Server-side Xbasic which outputs Javascript to the client via Ajax callback

Button2 opens a linked grid using Action Javascript.

I can trigger Button2.Click from my ButtonList.OnClick easily enough

because in the builder for the Button2 Edit Click Event
    I just press "view javascript" and see it is just this line of javascript
    {grid.componentName}_2A635A2E777D4D1D88E88F6E919FAD1F(this);

But my problem is Button1

The Button1.Click event is Xbasic

Can I trigger it's click event using Javascript?

I tried putting the following line into my ButtonList.OnClick but it did nothing

Code:
    {dialog.object}.runAction('serverside_25e008027bbc4499a84542214401afb2');

I got that long string from the Button1.Click Xbasic event window
    (see picture below)
    HowToTriggerThisEventFromButtonListOnClick.png

and I thought I would try and trigger via that long name, by using
    {dialog.object}.runAction

Is what I want to do even possible?

i.e. Use ButtonList.OnClick event to in turn
    trigger the Button1.Click that uses Ajax callback to run XBasic on the server and return Javascript to the browser

Real Name
    Jinx

Default Re: Possible to use Javascript to trigger an Xbasic Button.Click event from a ButtonList.OnClick event?

This is in a UX right? If so, check out:
    Code:
    {dialog.object}.buttonClick('BUTTON_1');
    //Click the button in the 3rd row of a Repeating Section
    {dialog.object}.buttonClick('BUTTON_1:3');

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default Re: Possible to use Javascript to trigger an Xbasic Button.Click event from a ButtonList.OnClick event?

Oh mannnn, that's so easy now I know how. Worked perfectly.

Thanks Jinx, you rock!

You're my main mouse

Real Name
    Jinx

No problem,
    The runAction is for javascript actions (not action javascript which is inside individual events) that you create. If you go to your UX properties pane on the left of the builder and look under "Javascript" you will see "Javascript Actions" and you can build them there. You can then use runAction and the name of your action to run them within your UX.

As for button clicking. Just an FYI as people run into snags with this, the button click method won't work on buttons that are hidden on the server-side since the buttons don't exist after render. If you hide them client side it will still work. This can be handy so you can create one button that get's clicked from multiple buttons or rows so you don't have to keep rewriting the code. You can also use Jquery/Javascript that's built in to Alpha:

Code:
    $('DLG1.V.R1.BUTTON_1').click()
    And variants thereof to do what you'd like.
    "$" in the above case is really short for document.getElementById

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

So then can I also run any Javascript Function that I write, using runAction? I will check it out.

And yes as for the buttons that are only called externally for their click events, I used CSS to hide a few things, with style =
    display: none;

I quickly realized the controls fully disappear, events and all, if setting the Hide checkbox to true

Thanks for all the tips. Just got my app to the next completion stage, cookin with gas now

Real Name
    Jinx

JavaScript functions are a different beast. Yes, you can write a function and call it (including passing variables into it) but it is not the same as an action and, AFAIK, can not be called by "runAction". Think of Alpha's JavaScript actions as Action JavaScript that can be called from any event instead of just in the individual event in which it was defined. Yes, you can do that with functions but functions are straight code. The other two types are Alpha's way to build that code for you.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Guys while you're at it can you check if writing {dialog.Object}.buttonClick( then doing CTRL-Down Arrow brings up the list of buttons in your UX?

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

I think the {dialog.Object}.buttonClick will only trigger a named Button control

But if you created a Button control that in turn ran it's own javascript to do CTRL-Down Arrow you might be able to do it.

e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5.../596580#596580
    Code:
    function simulateKeyPress(character) {
      jQuery.event.trigger({ type : 'keypress', which : character.charCodeAt(0) });
    }

$(function() {
      $('body').keypress(function(e) {
        alert(e.which);
      });

simulateKeyPress("e");
    });

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

Hi Michael i think you misunderstood my question.
    A feature i use a lot in Alpha Anywhere is the ctrl-down arrow that gives you a list of available controls that fit the command you are using.
    For instance, write {dialog.Object}.setValue( then press ctr-down arrow and you will see the list of available controls in your ux, then selecting one control will copy it's name to the setvalue command.
    Although the help for buttonClick() states this feature is available, when i tried in buttonClick it didn't popup anything, that's what i wanted you to try...

Nevertheless, your simulateKeyPress function will prove extremely useful :-)

Real Name
    Jinx

Jaime,

You have to delete everything out of the method before the ctrl down will work. For instance, if you copy and paste this into your event:
    Code:
    {Dialog.object}.buttonClick()
    and then go between the parenthesis, it should work, but if you copy and paste this into it:
    Code:
    {Dialog.object}.buttonClick('BUTTON_1')
    it won't show up. At least until you delete everything in between the parenthesis.