Alpha Video Training

Thread: PhoneGap plugins -- can I use one that is not in Alpha's phonegap property sheet?

Real Name
    pertti karjalainen

Default PhoneGap plugins -- can I use one that is not in Alpha's phonegap property sheet?

This PhoneGap stuff is pretty darn awesome, especially if you find the necessary plugins listed in Alpha's PhoneGap property sheet. But what about if there is a plugin you would really like to use, but it is not included in Alpha's property sheet?

Thanks!

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: PhoneGap plugins -- can I use one that is not in Alpha's phonegap property sheet?

You just manually insert the plugin entry into the config.xml file which resides in the www folder of your PhoneGap project folder and follow any additional directions in the plugin's readme file. Using the TelephoneNumber plugin as an example, you would insert the following line in your config.xml file:

<gap:plugin name="com.simonmacdonald.telephonenumber" />

Click on the link to the plugin's repo and read the instructions on how to add the plugin to your project. There might be some additional Javascript files that you need to add to your PhoneGap project folder and declare in your UX. For the TelephoneNumber plugin, you would need to add the following to your UX's "Javascript Linked files" property:

javascript\telephonenumber.js

You would then need to copy the source code for "telephonenumber.js" in the repo and create the same file on your computer inside the Javascript folder in your PhoneGap project folder.
    Last edited by DaveF; 05-15-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Real Name
    pertti karjalainen

Default Re: PhoneGap plugins -- can I use one that is not in Alpha's phonegap property sheet?

Dave --

Thank you! That is really great. I think that Alpha's approach to mobile development combined with Adobe Build is a real game changer. It took me less than a week to develop something that took our iOS developer two months. Add and Android developer into the mix, and you'd be looking at another 2-3 months. Yet the end result is very, very close when I compare the Alpha and iOS XCode -generated apps.

Real Name
    Dave

Add a Windows Phone developer into the mix, and you'd be looking at another 2-3 months. Thanks for the information Pertti. That is very good to know the actual difference in development time for a given application. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare my work to because we have not created any native apps using their respective native IDE's.

Real Name
    pertti karjalainen

Exactly, Windows version would take yet another 2-3 months in this case.

I'm not an XCode expert by any means, but looking at the reams and reams of rather complex looking code the iOS developer came up with, it made me think of how it would be to write Alpha's apps with plain XBasic (take a look at the XBasic tab of a UX component and you know what I mean. Alpha -style builders, action Javascript, and other helper utilities mostly write the painstaking code for me, and that's like building a house with prefabricated elements vs. building a house from scratch, starting with a big pile of two by fours.

One could, and in some cases can, argue that building an iOS app with XCode gives you much more control over the appearance and specific custom functionality. And that's fine if, to use yet another metaphor, you want to buy a hand crafted Rolls Royce vs. a Toyota Camry. Both get the job done, although one is nicer and more unique, while the other is just fine and much less expensive.

Real Name
    Carl M. Pearson

I would expect that device.telephoneNumber would appear as a property at some time.

Too obvious and common that we'd need or want the on-board phone number.

(That just came up in my project as a desire.)
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals