Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Please Help With Weird UX Population Problem That Seems Security Group Dependent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help With Weird UX Population Problem That Seems Security Group Dependent.

So,

I've got a UX that I'm opening from another UX. Everything works fine for all users when entering a new record. When trying to edit an existing record, however, something weird happens upon population of the UX. It will set the number of repeating section rows, etc. but the data will be blank. This seems security group-dependent. It populates fine with my admin account and those other accounts that have full viewing access to this UX but Other accounts (that are only allowed to view certain parts of the UX) get the blank population.

In Live Preview, with the same accounts selected, everything works fine. It just exhibits this behavior when running live.

Where should I start looking? Is this a bug?

I've been working on this for a couple of days and can't seem to figure it out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I just have some frames in the UX that have their client-side hide/show expresssions based on user group. There really isn't a lot of actual "group based security" used if you know what I mean.

Re: Please Help With Weird UX Population Problem That Seems Security Group Dependent.

Jinx, I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. Grid calls a UX. UX opens and (usually) populates correctly. UX is left open for long periods of time (note: my session timeout is set to 4 hours). Sometimes, when I add new rows to repeating section or other data after inactivity for a couple of hours, either the submit won't go 'live" (doesn't recognize that the UX is dirty) or it "submits" but won't actually save anything. If I close the UX and reopen it (from the grid), all fields are blank (even though the original data still exists in the table/grid). The only way to fix it is to refresh the entire page (this is in a tabbed_ui). Grid & UX was created in v11 (as a dialog2). I thought v12 would fix it. Nope. What it is?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Re: Please Help With Weird UX Population Problem That Seems Security Group Dependent.

Thanks Peter,

I THINK I figured it out. My particular issue anyway. It figures that I worked on it for hours and only after I posted to the forum did I find the problem.

I took one more look through all of my frames and controls. I found ONE frame that was set up to use group based security instead of a hide/show expression based on groups via published session variables. It just so happens that particular frame contained controls that were bound to a third table, including that tables primary key. After switching the frame to a hide/show expression instead of group based security, it appears to populate properly.

So, it seems that if the UX can't populate from all of it's tables, it won't populate from ANY of them.

Is it just me, or is group based security essentially WORTHLESS inside of a UX? The only thing you can really use it on is buttons, you really can't use it on anything that's bound at all. I recall pulling my hair out when I first started learning alpha with that problem too. I'd get SQL errors and stuff just wouldn't work all of the time and most of it was because of group based security or server-side hidden stuff, which is essentially the same thing in the end, I guess.

Anyway, I think I'm good for the moment.

Comment

Well, that's good. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. But I got other fish to fry for now.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
          Well, that's good. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. But I got other fish to fry for now.
          Have you tried using a "dummy" ajax callback, just to wake things up? If it worked, that might at least get you on the right path to what's causing the issue, if not be a viable work around.

Comment

I'll keep that one in the back of my mind.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
              Jinx, I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. Grid calls a UX. UX opens and (usually) populates correctly. UX is left open for long periods of time (note: my session timeout is set to 4 hours). Sometimes, when I add new rows to repeating section or other data after inactivity for a couple of hours, either the submit won't go 'live" (doesn't recognize that the UX is dirty) or it "submits" but won't actually save anything. If I close the UX and reopen it (from the grid), all fields are blank (even though the original data still exists in the table/grid). The only way to fix it is to refresh the entire page (this is in a tabbed_ui). Grid & UX was created in v11 (as a dialog2). I thought v12 would fix it. Nope. What it is?
              my impression is, it has to do with the grid not the ux a dialog by another name. the grid makes a call to the server gets the data puts it on the screen and keeps the connection a little bit, if another action that needs to contact the server either from the grid or an ux that was launched the grid remembers the connection and the ux recycles thru that connection. if time passes by, the grid forgets all the connection information. the data is on the screen but not with the grid so when you relaunch the ux it does not have any info to populate.

you can test this by various combinations and you will see.
              1> you can put a debug on your ux submit action and see what happens.
              2> a grid opens a detail to insert a new record. after certain inactivity you cannot insert any more. you need to close then re do all the things all over again.
              3> you open a dialog straight even after the same time period of inactivity the dialog works.
              combine them again you have problem.

to solve your issue i think i will do in a different way if it is possible.
              you need some information from the grid to populate the ux, right. can you get that information from a text box control of the ux and fill in other fields in the ux via a lookup. then the grid is pushed away and will not interfere with the dialog. see if this solves the insertion issue after certain period of inactivity.
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

the data is on the screen but not with the grid so when you relaunch the ux it does not have any info to populate.
                I'm not relaunching the UX. It remains open the whole time.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The only time I have had an issue similar was when I was using other tabs or instances of the same browser (phone included - chrome). It seems like it is a session issue with the browser, not the app. So just to muddy the waters a little what happens when more than one user on a network use the same browser or the same user signs in using a synced chrome browser with a different device?

Here's where it gets interesting. If my secretary logs in to my app and I launch chrome on my phone I know it because the last connection or sign in shows up in my instance of chrome on my phone (login username) and if I log in on my phone and she pulls up my app and goes to login the 'remembered" user is my login as though chrome is remembering between the two devices since my accounts sync.
                  NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

post #2
                    If I close the UX and reopen it (from the grid), all fields are blank (even though the original data still exists in the table/grid).
                    post #8
                    I'm not relaunching the UX. It remains open the whole time
                    contradictory, is it not?
                    the data is on the screen but not with the grid so when you relaunch the ux it does not have any info to populate.
                    was based on the information you provided on post #2.

ps: if you must have the grid to open the ux, one way of doing it will be when the button to open the ux is clicked store the value you need to reference for the ux, most like the primary key, into a session variable. and the ask the ux to retrieve the record based on the session variable. so even after certain lapse in time if you close the ux and open it it will be still based on your session variable. this is a thought process I have experimented in actual grid, yet.
                    Last edited by GGandhi; 05-16-2014, 05:16 AM.
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Ok, you got me Gandhi. Sort of. I said in post #2:

Sometimes, when I add new rows to repeating section or other data after inactivity for a couple of hours, either the submit won't go 'live" (doesn't recognize that the UX is dirty) or it "submits" but won't actually save anything.
                      This is the problem I deal with in daily use. Sometimes.

If that happens, then I try this:
                      If I close the UX and reopen it (from the grid), all fields are blank (even though the original data still exists in the table/grid).
                      And:
                      The only way to fix it is to refresh the entire page (this is in a tabbed_ui).
                      Like I said, I have other fish to fry for now. But I will come back to it sooner or later. Thanks for your input. But I don't think it should be necessary to store a PK in a session var. That's not an acceptable solution AFAIC.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

mmmm.......fish. Why am I hungry?..... 'Cause it's Friday in Wisconsin and Peter keeps typing fish fry!

Comment

I know my last post was not really relevant but I cant resist throwing one more in only because I have had similar issues in the past where something like that occurred so even if its unrelated it might at least get you to recheck your work and find something you might have overlooked.
                          Otherwise I do apologize for bad suggestions, lol.
                          I don't know if you remember when I had a disappearing act going on like that but I found out it was due to a space in a database field name where I should have had an underscore (or any character really). Check the tables for a space in a field name. When I had a space in one of the fieldnames the UX was flakey like a good flakey fish fry but did work often enough.
                          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Working...
                          X