Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Question - Are face-to-face User Group meetings still relevant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Are face-to-face User Group meetings still relevant?

I have been toying with having an Alpha Users Group meeting in my local area (San Fran Bay Area). You may have seen my previous post for the "Meetup" group.

Curious, do you think face-to-face Users Group meetings still relevant? And if so, what makes them useful? It cannot be just technical content, because we can get that from thousands of video and forum posts, release notes and occasionally the official Help Docs. My purpose with the Meetup is to get the local Alpha users together, but also to attract developers who use other tools, and want to find out more about Alpha. Somewhere in that model I see additional business both for my company and other Alpha developers who participate along with me. But it is a bunch of work to get it going.

What do you think? Are face-to-face User Groups still useful? And if so, and assuming it was driving distance, what would get you to attend?

Steve
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: Question - Are face-to-face User Group meetings still relevant?

Steve,
    As far a business decision: NO, they are not useful
    As far as a social decision: Some like to put a voice, face and body English together with the written words they get from posts, emails and more.

There is Skype and a few others that will do most of that as well and a whole lot less expensive than a ticket from Florida to the various places where a get together may be held.

I am in groups on Skype where we have had several in an open chat at the same time. In a same development with several other people on the same project and thousands of miles apart, it works very well. Mostly messages and informed questions can really be a blessing there.

what would get you to attend?
    Only if there were serious awards for the miles and if it was at the right place, like, but not only, Disney World where the family would want to go. I already been to the bay area and beyond on business mostly.

So much for my opinion!
    Last edited by DaveM; 05-19-2014, 05:25 PM.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Sounds like golf in the morning and a full afternoon of training and frequent cocktail breaks.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

There is definite value in the real-time two-way communication that a physical meetup enables.

However I live 7000+ miles away, and rarely travel to the USA.

I'd be interested in using Google Hangouts as the medium for a user group.
        https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3111943?hl=en

10 to 15 people can video conference simultaneously
        and 100 can listen/watch and use the text messaging
        https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/yM1kI5-B1Jo

Only problem is... no golf or cocktails

Comment

Skype now offer free group video sessions, and in the group Dave has mentioned, we talk and video as required.
          You do need to be showered and dressed for the video bit though
          In addition, Team Viewer is useful for getting technical assistance.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Steve,
            I think there is value to face to face meetings and met-ups.

I do 90% of my client work remotely but I go out of may way to travel and meet clients face to face, also contractors that work for me.
            In the age of Facebook and 'Social' Media we are becoming less and less social, it is sad
            We are humans and real face to face interactions can't be replaced by technology.
            What you are proposing is a great idea in my opinion If I lived in the Bay area I would be up for it.
            I would live to create a New Zealand Alpha users group at some point.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, I have six IADN members who are in New Zealand. Do you want me to contact them to potentially form a NZ Users Group?
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Absolutely agree they can and are relevant. As with any meeting the key is the agenda.
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Couldn't agree more Glen.
                  An agenda, as well as expected reading matter, a proposed outcome and the correct participants pays hugely.
                  My time in government led me to refuse to attend meetings without an agenda and to ask what we were supposed to de discussing and deciding.
                  However. A "jolly" is also important for us social animals, so perhaps the two can coexist.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    Bruce, I have six IADN members who are in New Zealand. Do you want me to contact them to potentially form a NZ Users Group?
                    Hi Steve,

That would be great, Please PM me and let's discuss.

Bruce

Comment

I have started to communicate with the few members of my Alpha Meetup (under the umbrella of IADN, so really IADN-BayArea) and it will be interesting because I am used to working with individuals who have good knowledge of Alpha, but these guys are all green. The Bay Area where I live is such a prolific meetup area, dozens of tech meeting every week. I joined one named "Demo App and Drinks". They seem to have the right idea, meet & mingle, have a few, and then watch a demo.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve - I live a little south, Carmel, 'green' but interested, and would drive north. Please keep me informed.

Rich

Comment

Sounds like golf in the morning and a full afternoon of training and frequent cocktail breaks.
                          something like that. Only, for me, it would be off the race track at night.

Seriously, I would love to meet others that have things to offer and I humbly would offer what I have to give.
                          Back to work though. I have several small and large projects under way and need to make some headway today. Should have all ready by the time you get the get together in CA.
                          May try to make that, I have a business meeting coming up in San Francisco and if the dates showed up at the right time???

I do still have a couple old girl friends in SF and may get sidetracked.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

PM me when you know your meeting date. Can't promise to make my meetup the same date but will try. You should join the Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/iadn_sfbayarea/) so I can keep track there. I will be inviting all of the CA and NV based Developers on my list to join. I don't really like the whole Meetup thing and would rather have my own homegrown system to manage "user Groups" but the fact is Meetup.com and LinkedIn.com are the best way to attract non-Alpha members to get together. P.s., anything I hold will (as best as possible) support the full range of Alpha offerings, Desktop, Web and Mobile. But truth is the later two are the draw.

I have a couple ex GF's in SF as well, but I don't think they want to see me!
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Bruce..

I'd be up for that - I'm in Taupo..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X