Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cheap vps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap vps?

Umm, we are talking about CVV not other information. It is against cc policy for a merchant to store CVV. Paypal, if you pay by cc, asks for the CVV in order to verify a cc but does not retain it.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

No, it's not off-topic, it' right on topic. Let's go back back to DaveM's post. All he said was "Hey, Webkeeper offer cheap VPS with a '?' meaning, are they any good, has anyone used them?.
      1) Your best attitude was to blast the guy.
      2) You went on to get a Webkeeper's subscription not to really see if they were any good, but to dig out anything even the slightest detail that's wrong with them and splash it around. Typical Alpha user attitude; anything that's not Alpha or Alpha blessed is garbage. You have been eating Alpha5 for so long that your digestive system cannot process any other type of food. Obviously you have nothing else to do than reporting hosting companies; don't do it for free though, at least get paid for your findings. Whatever you do, I am confident my 2 servers will be on next week and the week after an next year and years after that.

Comment

I'm just going to see if I can install Alpha web server, which Dave suggested would be no problem. Or did I misread that and he meant install Alpha Desktop or something else?

Edit: and I'm pretty sure Dave and I are cool.
        Last edited by Steve Wood; 05-25-2014, 01:23 AM.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Change would to should in that statement.
          We are cool. all is fine.
          Paypal, if you pay by cc, asks for the CVV in order to verify a cc but does not retain it.
          This is not true. when I pay by paypal, I give nothing except my user + password and they put it on my visa card in 1-5 minutes. They have to have the cvv. That is the only way.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
            ... running desktop apps over the internet ...
            The best way I am aware of to convert a desktop app to SaaS is Microsoft RemoteApp which is essentially creating an RDP session for one program, and making it available on the user's desktop from a normal shortcut.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc755055.aspx

However, if interested, make sure you only do RemoteApp with Windows Server 2012

I have set this up for someone's VB app using Windows Server 2008 and there were annoying intermittent screen repaint failure issues (especially when it was a modal message box not being painted!)

A friend of mine recently set up his Access 2003 application as RemoteApp on Windows Server 2012 and it is working great. Looks like the screen repainting issues with RemoteApp are resolved now (anectodally speaking of course :-)

Comment

I'm currently coding a desktop interface with the Elavon payment gateway, and according to their documentation you only need to specify the CVV for the first transaction with a card. Subsequent transactions can include the CVV if supplied by the customer, but it is not required for the transaction to succeed.

Comment

Had a quick look and although the pricing is tempting I cannot see anywhere in the faq's, terms and conditions if they are certificated or comply with US Safe Harbor principles. If they do not I could not in all good faith touch them with the proverbial barge pole!!
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                  Had a quick look and although the pricing is tempting I cannot see anywhere in the faq's, terms and conditions if they are certificated or comply with US Safe Harbor principles. If they do not I could not in all good faith touch them with the proverbial barge pole!!

Unfortunately not a single US company does comply with US Safe Harbor(EU) anymore but for testing you can use their servers.

Comment

Originally posted by gaby_h View Post
                    Typical Alpha user attitude; anything that's not Alpha or Alpha blessed is garbage.
                    That's a wild and reckless statement, Gaby. And it's not true.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Unfortunately not a single US company does comply with US Safe Harbor(EU) anymore but for testing you can use their servers.
                      That blanket statement is not true. The first US company I looked at, SoftLayer (online database servers) state in their compliance page both that they are current with Safe Harbor rules, and they believe it is important. And here is a database that shows thousands of USA companies that have stated they are current with Safe Harbor rules: http://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

@ Michael. Thanks for the link.
                        @ Steve. I don't think Dave tried it on Webkeepers.
                        @ Peter. I took the original reply from Steve as a big negative, so I'm not surprised at Gaby's response.

It's good to know that we can still air our views without fear or favour. There seems to be a reluctance to consider DT app on a web service as that might affect the AS Roadmp. There is new stuff coming out all the time which takes the pain out of deployment, but if I have no support, then I may as well do it all myself. With the number of sales made by AS to mainly DT people in the past, they are really missing out on not supporting it more. If V12 had offered a major DT upgrade, I wouldn't have been tempted by other suppliers, bought it and run with it.

Still. You pays your money, and makes your choice.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

That blanket statement is not true. The first US company I looked at, SoftLayer (online database servers) state in their compliance page both that they are current with Safe Harbor rules, and they believe it is important. And here is a database that shows thousands of USA companies that have stated they are current with Safe Harbor rules: http://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx
                          And that means they are being 100% truthful??
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

6.99 a month and if I were testing alpha, or any platform to verify the quality and strength of the app, I would not pass that up. With a test app of any kind that needs testing, security is not the first issue. Let's face it, if I want more security, it would first be on Linux which is 2.00 a month less anyhow and is inherently faster as well.

Upcoming 2 apps I am deep into will both be introduced to run on a vps and cloud as saas, but can also be run on Linux or mac. Both will be tested on a small server, on a local lan as desktop, on a vps and on a cloud which I will have free use of for a short period. I don't have a mac, so no testing there. One will do just fine on a vps and 7.00 a month is good for that, the other will be placed on cloud for sure.

On another scale, If I had followed every rule that was ever made in the auto industry, I would have go to another business due to inability to make a living. Pretty much, people making the rules are the people who could not otherwise make it.

I would suggest that 99% of the verbage above does not mean anything in the end(especially to me). The real thought here should be: If this will run alpha or not! If it will, then it is a plus for the community. If not, then I would suggest a moderator eliminate the post as a lost cause.

I personally don't look for compliances with this regulating authorities that may or may not be properly sanction by a governing body. Even if they do comply, who said why they should.

I do go by stuff like age of the domain, whether their ip has bad hits against it and my own experiences and I been doing this as long as there has been an internet and a world wide web.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

somewhere in this thread there is mention about breaking US law and not being compliant if they keep your cc number and the verification code.
                              I just came from a movie, paypal runs an onscreen ad that clearly says
                              "there is no need to punch any credit card number when you use the paypal service, they keep the number and the verification code so the process is a breeze."
                              so open in their statement. and they are a big business.
                              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                              mysql backend
                              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                              [email protected]
                              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Govindan,

That is exactly what I been saying.

If one thinks any Credit Card company is seriously going to attack them and have a possibility of getting removed from PayPal taking their cards had best think again. I promise, it won't happens. The repercussions are not registered in hundreds or thousands but more in millions of dollars for the cards not being taken by PayPal.
                                Further, they can't penalize a small company when that company can simply point at one like PayPal and ask, "why them and not me"! That could tear a court room into pieces.

Just because some self appointed regulator(s) or government entity has set down what they think should be, it becomes courtroom decisions that will cause binding. For or against? That is the question. I am sure PayPal and others would not do it unless they are sure they are in a winnable situation.

I am aware that PayPal has my card number, all my info and the cvv. I have no problem with that. I have been with PayPal for many years. In fact, my bank has more problems with security than PayPal has. Bank of America information has been compromised several times. Most other banks have as well.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X