Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Runtime vs Active Link Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Runtime vs Active Link Tables

I have both A5V12 developer and runtime installed on my computer. I use activelink tables to my SQL2008R2 server. I have written an append operation in xbasic to add a record to an activelink table. I've written it two ways... directly writing to the SQL server, and writing to the activelink table using the append operation. Both work very well on my computer in developer and runtime. So what's the problem? The computer right next to me is different. I installed Runtime only. Logged in as another user. The script gives me the error (attached) AlphaError.png. Now let me assure you, the other user has read/write permissions on the SQL table. And I've tried both scripts previously mentioned with the same error. Here's the catch... On MY computer, logged in as the other user and using Runtime, the script works PERFECTLY! So I'm convinced it's not a permission problem. Dear Alpha, is there another support program that you are using to write to the SQL tables? Is there a separate program I need to install on the other computer? I'm stumped. And lastly, All patches have been installed...

Re: Alpha Runtime vs Active Link Tables

It does sound like a permission issue on the other machine. But you could go crazy and install the developer on the other machine and see if it works then. If so, there might be an RT issue. I assume you are not using a shadowed copy of the db on the 2nd machine? Not sure what that might do w. active-link tables.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I've been up and down the permission issue road on this for a couple of weeks (yes, I've been trying to solve this for that long). I am the one who sets up all of the permissions company wide in AD. I don't use computer based permissions. Everything is user based. I haven't installed developer yet. But I might try that just to see what happens. I swear the issue lies with needing a support program installed like a redistributable SQL client.

Comment

I know you won't want to try this, but create a vanilla .dbf table and see if the problem exists.
        If so, it's probably an AD issue.
        Is everything else working, like write and change in the SQL tables from the other machine?
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I have previously tried your suggestion Ted and yes it works fine writing to a dbf. But it is definitely not an AD issue... I decided to create another Active Link table to a table in the same SQL database and try writing to it. The other computer has no problems writing to the new table. So I dug further. The table I'm having trouble with has 262 fields. 262!!! Yeah, don't blame me, I didn't make the table... Anyway, since I have no trouble writing to it using Developer and Runtime on my machine, and can't do it with Runtime only on the other machine. I'm thinking Runtime's AlphaDAO, which I believe is what communicates between SQL and Alpha, cannot write to tables that large. Would this be a Runtime bug?

Comment

Would this be a Runtime bug?
            From your first post:
            Both work very well on my computer in developer and runtime.
            If that is true, I'm thinking it can't be a runtime bug.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Someone else had a problem using Append with that number of fields, and also there was a naming issue.
              Doesn't explain the behaviour though.
              Suggestion. Load the Dev version on the errant machine. Prove it works.
              Remove the Dev version and try again.
              If the system works ok, then something will have been left behind. If not, your assumption is correct and it is a RT buglet.
              In which case, contact [email protected] . He knows everything.

Comment

Well, I tried putting the developer version on the other computer. No go. I can write to every table in the database from any computer, except the super large fielded table. That one is writeable only on my computer. So here is a snapshot of all the SQL program installs on my computer. SQL installs.JPG

I have Visual Studio installed so that would explain a lot of them. I don't have any SQL databases on my computer, they are all installed on my SQL server. I can't help but think having SQL server installed is making the difference.

At this point I don't know what else to do except make the table a native Alpha table because that is the only way it works for everyone.

Comment

So you can write to all of the SQL tables EXCEPT the one with 262 fields on the RT only PC?
                  One way to test your theory of an ADO limitation would be to reduce the number of fields temporarily to less then 256, and try again.
                  I don't have access to an SQL 2008 server at present, so I can't test anything for you.
                  To keep the job going, your idea of converting to native dbf is a sound one. You could upsize if it works in Native to SQL later.
                  Last edited by Ted Giles; 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

But it works in RT on my machine! I wonder if whatever SQL dll's I have is better than the version that comes with Alpha for use with AlphaDAO.

Comment

So have you tried loading SQL on the other PC and having another go? If you are allowed to that is.
                      There might well be incompatability. I presume you have run a compat check and run as admin first time around on the problem pc?
                      Hard to tell which DLL is the right one.

I am in the process of building a server and may be able to test this next week.
                      Else, export to Dropbox and give me a link. My email is in my signature.

Comment

Here is where Alpha needs to test this, I really don't have the time to do it. I get maybe 2 hours a day to work in Alpha as I wear 3 hats here at my job. The problem pc has admin rights and has no compatibility issues and I don't want to install SQL server on the pc as it is being used in production.

Comment

Only 3 hats. Gimme a break!

Comment

right... but I suck at multitasking so 3 is all I can handle :-)

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X