Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

You are not authorized to use this version of Alpha Anywhere.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You are not authorized to use this version of Alpha Anywhere.

@ Steven
    Did you tell Lenny direct, Steven?
    That should have been tested.
    @ Lenny
    Do you have a full blown test harness for V12?

Not being rude, but I do test management for a living
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
      @ Steven
      Did you tell Lenny direct, Steven?
      That should have been tested.
      Ted, no I had a phone call from James @ Alpha but I saw Lenny's reply in this thread and decided to try it. I never did get a reply back from James.
      He said "exit all copies of Alpha Anywhere and the Activation Server" which I assume he meant "Application Server". Not entirely clear so at first I just closed and restarted the server application.

The big issue I have with all of this is that the subscription model is 'supposed' to let you keep using the software if the license has expired !!! You just don't get any further updates. This is what we are being sold.

It is pretty clear that Alpha is checking the subscription license before the application even opens, hence it failed to even open the software. Did anyone else noticed a significant slowdown while Developer opens? License checking?
      To me, industry practice would dictate that you check subscription licenses when the user tries to update their software and, if expired disallow the update.

At least that's how it appears from this end as a paying customer unable to even open the software.
      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

So perhaps Lenny would like to comment?

Comment

Stephen,
          I think there was a policy change at alpha some time ago. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
          Originally, you would have to pay or it would quit and that was changed to pay or no more updates which is industry standard.
          There were many copies that went out with the original pay or stop programmed in.
          The people at alpha have gone deep to try and reverse that, but some are still popping up.
          Maybe something was missed along the way and the application stops.
          Not knowing how they did it, I can't comment on how hard it is to reverse all copies, but can bet it is not easy.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It's my understanding this msg board is peer supported. Lenny may or may not drop back by. It's not his job. Suggest a private email be sent his way if there's still an issue. Click his name on his post here and you'll see how to contact him privately.

Comment

It is probably not intended to be a secret, or could not be kept if it was, so I will share that yes each and every time the App Server or Developer are started, it makes a POST call to the Alpha Activation Server. Easy to detect with simple HTTP Debugger on the machine. It also looks to see if your copy has the latest build. I don't know what else it does in that POST/response. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is trying to determine, I am sure, if you are current with your subscription so it can make recommendations that you GET current if you are not. It' also good for Alpha to keep track of who actually uses the software. I must have a pretty long log since I start up/down many times a day.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Well that's all really well and good Steve ... IF it works !!!

Guess what, I get home today and open the developer application I use at home and what do you think I'm greeted with?

License Error.jpg

Unbelievable! This is not the least bit amusing Alpha.
                Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Lenny may or may not drop back by
                  He contributed Tom, that makes him an interested party as regards this thread in my book.

I am not sure that just dropping a "this will fix it" comment and leaving it at that is sufficient, and I hope Stephen manages to get this resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
                    Ted, we certainly would have warned customers if we were aware of potential problems. The activation system is supposed to have a fail-safe that will allow the software to operate normally in a case like this. That fail-safe was extensively tested in a wide variety of situations and always operated as designed, but that unfortunately is not the case that a limited number of users have encountered recently.
                    Just to inform your company's production server has been down about two weeks now. Seems to me you are one of the limited number of users:). Check here.

Comment

Hey everyone -

I haven't been around for a while ... busy with other things non-Alpha, but I always check in here from time to time.

Am I understanding this thread correctly?

Does one need an internet connection in order to work with AA? I mean, just to be able to "fire it up"?

So if my modem goes down, or I don't pay my ISP bill, or whatever, I cannot work on an AA project?

If that's the case, man, am I ever glad I got out of this "racket" with this product! :)

Sounds like they took a "lesson" from the folks at Artisteer (CMS/website template/theme creation software).

I will reiterate what others here have said: If I pay for any product, I expect it to be available to me at any time and at any place, online or offline. The only time there should be any "activation check" is if I explicitly apply for an update to the product.
                      Cheers!
                      Lyle Chamney
                      http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
                      Websites rebuilt with WordPress
                      http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
                      Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
                      http://snifflevalve.com
                      WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Not sure it could de classed as a "racket", Lyle, but a bit more work on the risks and issues, as well as a robust Desk Check might have prevented the problem in the first place. Then, if the server went belly up, at least they would have a few days to fix it before it got noticed.
                        I would have thought that subscribers should be able to rely on an enforceable SLA regarding access fixes, as opposed to a "best efforts" approach.

Comment

I don't know about the server, but when the developer starts there is a checkbox to "automatically check for news and updates on startup". If unchecked would it prevent this situation?

check.jpg

Comment

Unlikely. It only checks to see if any are availsble.

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                              I don't know about the server, but when the developer starts there is a checkbox to "automatically check for news and updates on startup". If unchecked would it prevent this situation?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38384[/ATTACH]
                              Disable the auto-update second disconnect from the network start A5V12 what happen's? A5 should start without any problems what it does in my case.

Comment

On subscription Eric, monthly payments?

Comment

Working...
                                X