Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Conference in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Conference in October

Thank you Guys! I am really interested in the mobile development side of Alpha!

Pevisha :)

Comment

Originally posted by gregincolumbus View Post
      After numerous inquires�.here is what I was told about the schedule:

The conference will run from the 8th - 10th
      It will start at 9am on the 8th, and the conference will end at +/- 4pm on
      Friday the 10th.
      GUYS! PUMPKIN COFFEE IS BACK!

Also, thanks for the schedule information! Now I know when to go catch the traaaain!

Alpha posted even MORE information!!! http://alphasoftware.com/alpha-world...rence-2014.asp

See you OCTOBER.
      Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

Looks like I will be hopefully making it to the conference now.. driving from NJ and know nothingalloway of Boston.. I'm not even sure how to search for hotels in that section of Boston. Can anyone shed some light where you are staying aside from Conference hotel? Will you be taking rail line to conf? Thanks!

Comment

I created a Twitter hash tag #AADevCon2014. You can use this before and during the conference to keep in touch. Use it to see where others are going or staying at the conference, or to find out where you buddies are hanging out.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I just got company approval to attend the conference and I booked the last available room in the hotel (or so I was told). I am looking forward to meeting other developers and learning what makes you so passionate about Alpha. I am new to Alpha, coming from a VB6/Access/SQL Server background in a corporate environment. I'm still developing desktop applications in a world where the web is commonplace and mobile is the next frontier. I looked at a lot of other platforms before choosing Alpha. It seems to have the most going for it.

Outside of conference time, I'd like to see examples of how other developers are using Alpha to solve business problems. I want to see how you've migrated what users expect from a rich desktop application into browser/mobile experience.

My flight lands at 1:30 PM Tuesday. I'm interested in hanging out or having a meal with anyone else who arrives early. I have never been to Boston.

Ben
            Pittsburgh, PA
            Last edited by Ben S.; 10-01-2014, 05:21 PM. Reason: clarification of date and time

Comment

Ben,

Welcome. We have a Twitter hash tag of #AlphaDev. Use that perhaps if you are hanging out in the hotel lobby or restaurant looking for someone.

I will be there a day early as well and will be floating around.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Wish I could attend but cannot. I have a conference in Disney to attend the 3rd week of Oct and cant afford to do both!
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                  Yeah and I can spend a Friday night on the beach, looking at the ocean in Ft Lauderdale for 55.00 a night. Have breakfast downstairs for about 10.00. I do not understand these hotels wanting so much money.
                  Nothing about alpha in this. I just don't understand the price of hotels.
                  It is an ongoing thing across the country. I have been a part of planning committees for a small conference of about 300 in several cities. Atlanta, New Orleans,MS,etc no matter where you go the cost to have coffee for attendees is usually about 65-125 for a container. want to use their projector? - you could buy one for less. In New Orleans, vendors cannot carry their own boxes to their booth you have to have their people do it and it's hundreds of dollars! I have had some vendors ship catalogs to my house instead, and I brought the packages to the loading dock for them myself - saved the guy 800 dollars!

It's sad but the cost to have a great show at a decent venue costs the producer a bundle. Hats off to the folks at Alpha putting it all together! It is really hard if you have less than 1000 attendees. Negotiating with hotels for room rates is a joke as well, think about it I am bringing at least 300 guests to your hotel so what do you do? You offer me a "Discounted room rate" that is higher priced than the average room rate anyone can get online? wow!

Regardless, it is what it is! The last time we looked at a hotel that didnt behave like that my wife went with me (and the board) to meet with the hotel manager to discuss the details and to have a look at the place, there was a stripper pole in the bar...YEAH that went over big, lol so needless to say we just suck it up like the rest of the world and book our meetings at the better establishments.

Someday SOMEONE will open a chain of hotels, WITH ample meeting space and accomadations and actually charge reasonable flat rates for things.
                  I know for a fact wendys could cater in meals cheaper and HIGHER quality than most downtown bag lunches or buffets that you see with conferences that include meals but thats another pet peeve of mine.

Lastly, and most importantly you will want to spend time networking with others. I usually close the bar at events. That means being able to pace yourself with drinks, buy everyone a round and get to know folks. Networking is the single most important thing an attendee can ever accomplish at a conference!
                  Make contacts, make friends - enjoy the ride.

Rant over, lol
                  NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                    .... Make contacts, make friends - enjoy the ride. ....
                    That's why I am going. Oh, you mean we might learn something as well??? Any other Aussies going? Leaving Sunday morning and will be in Boston all week. Staying at an Airbnb place.
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Guys;

2 x things, firstly i am not a big twitter user so could somebody assist me and confirm which 'hashtag' I should use [or both?]

Secondly I am coming from the UK and will be in Boston a day or so earlier and would love to meet some of you for a coffee or a beer maybe before / during the conference

I am staying at the Omni Parker House on School Street

Cheers guys

Bryan

Comment

Wife and I are driving down from Canada and really looking forward to this. Being in IT at a distribution company we don't get to go to very many conferences unlike the sales division....LOL

Arriving Tuesday and looking forward to meeting everyone.

See you soon!

Richard

Comment

Will anyone be commuting via Train to/from Providence every day for the conference? Train Buddy is seeking companions.
                          Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

Besides this thread and Twitter hash tags #AlphaDev and #AADevCon2014, is there any other public discussion going on regarding this conference? I'm hoping that more than a handful of people are registered for this conference.

Comment

I'll be flying solo into Boston on Tuesday afternoon and was looking at activities that might be fun before the conference.
                              The first thing that stood out to me was Red Lantern Boston - Unlimited Sushi Tuesdays for $25.
                              The other thing I found was the "Historic Pub Crawl with the Freedom Trail Foundation" which is a 90 minute tour from 5:30-7:00pm and requires a $43 reservation booked a day in advance. It seems like something cool to do while in town that isn't as pricey as a show (which I may consider for Thursday - Lion King?). https://thefreedomtrail.org/book-tou...ub-crawl.shtml

So, my plan is to do the historic pub crawl, and then go to unlimited sushi. It's my first time in Boston, and I'm looking to make to most of the trip while also making long-term alpha developer contacts. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining for either and perhaps we can go in a small group.
                              Last edited by josephmoeller; 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

My flight arrives at 6.35 pm & I booked a room about 1 mile away from Red Lantern so around 8pm in Red Lantern seems doable for me.
                                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Working...
                                X