Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Browser Compatibility List for Alpha Anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser Compatibility List for Alpha Anywhere

Can anyone point me to a browser compatibility list for Alpha Anywhere?

I've been searching around and I can't find a definitive list of browsers that Alpha is rated to work with.

Does one exist?

Personally: I have found it works well in most versions of IE, Firefox and Chrome. But I've has hit or miss problems with Safari. (Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work.)

I realize that I can always program something in JavaScript that might not cross well between browsers, but in terms of simply running standard Alpha features - where is it guaranteed to work?

Re: Browser Compatibility List for Alpha Anywhere

What is today is out of age tomorrow there is no industry standard unless you want to call the branch a standard and not the version [ of the branche] Google, FFF,Safari, iaw if you deliver an webapps today and your client is using Chrome XXXX the next day XXXYY and your webapps is no more running reason your client made an update to the browser client your apps is out of age at branche ##version level.

Comment

I understand that things move on.

But I assume some form of browser application testing does happen at Alpha.

I'm not looking for any guarantees, but web applications built in Alpha do work in different browsers (It's kind of there thing). So I'd like to know what's been tested and approved.

For instance, does it work in Apple Safari? If so, what versions?

I have had some trouble with people using Safari, while some Safari users have the app fail miserably. (This was for V11.)

Maybe you can't identify everything that works, but you can certainly identify browsers that don't work.

Comment

I don't think you can ask Alphasoftware to create an update a list of browsers what has been tested. The alternative you create a webapps with a browser agent repository after the user login then by a ajax callback check on your server or the browser has been tested for your apps.
        Last edited by bea2701; 06-13-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I can ask Alpha Software anything I want to ask them. Why would you think I can't?

Alpha Anywhere has that funny word "Anywhere" in it's name.

I do not believe I am being unreasonable to ask for a list of tested and confirmed browsers it is compatible with.

I do not have the resources to test against all the possible browsers - maybe Alpha doesn't either, but they have a lot more resources than I do.

Comment

I think what is unreasonable is your tone. In the spirit of a good answer Eric is referring to "You" as in the larger reference to the world... this is clearly what he meant and why "you" are taking it to mean "you" personally I cannot say. Certainly "you" can ask Alpha anything you want... but again... that's not what Eric meant and I'd be surprised if anyone else on this board took it to mean "you" personally.

Alpha runs well on all the current browsers. There are differences between browsers and how they render so you will find differences in your apps between browsers. Nothing that I know of that will break your app... but mainly minor cosmetic differences.

Safari is a different horse... and I don't mean that in the literal sense of "horse". Safari virtually doesn't exist in the PC world. Mobile Safari is a bit different than desktop Safari. Alpha runs on both.

You refer to Alpha Version 11. Is that running currently under a current version of Safari? And on what device? Mobile? Desktop? "You" don't say.

I've had reports of odd renders when using a version of Safari that was about 6 years on running on an old Mac. So... I'd stay away from that one.
            I've also had reports of problems with FireFox Version 5 which was released in 2011.

My response to both of these browser based issues was to get a current version of any good browser.

The Alpha development environment allows you to perform a live preview in IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. I don't have Opera or Safari installed, but have fairly current versions of the other 3.

When I want to test mobile I go to an iPhone or iPad and run Safari there... or Mobile Chrome on an Android device.

Both test out very well.

Comment

There is no reason to jump on Larry for misinterpreting what Eric said. Yes, certainly what Eric meant was it is not possible for Alpha to do what Larry requested, not that Larry, or any of us could not ask the question.

Unfortunately I believe the answer is as Eric has stated, there is no such list and you basically have to test on your own or rely on testing results from this community.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

The generic you is primarily used in informal speech and writing. In formal speech and writing, the pronoun one can be used instead: for example, the informal sentence "Brushing your teeth is healthy" can be expressed more formally as "Brushing one's teeth is healthy."
                may be one should use "one" instead of "you" when writing here on the board, than in speaking to the person directly, to avoid misinterpretations.
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments and support. Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way.

I wasn't trying to start an argument here. I'm not exactly sure how this got so out of control.

If the answer is "No, there isn't such a compatibility list" then that would be an acceptable answer.

However, I suspect that Alpha has a commitment to making Alpha Anywhere work as well as possible in a certain minimum set of browsers - I do not see how they would have gotten funding without that.

It is not possible that Alpha does not have a list of browsers - even if it's a short list - that they are committed to supporting. For instance, if IE were to come out with a new browser tomorrow, and it broke something in Alpha, do you think it is even remotely possible that the incompatibility wouldn't be fixed in the next patch?

I realize that browsers change every day - but Alpha should then commit to support at least some of those browsers no matter how they change. Which ones have that commitment?

PLEASE NOTE:
                  I am not lambasting Alpha in any way here. I love Alpha products. I posted this message on a Friday afternoon in hopes someone from Alpha would see it. They haven't seen it yet - it's no big deal. If I don't get an answer this way, I'll call them myself on Monday. I like to post questions here first so everyone can benefit from the answer. If I get an official response, I'll post that here too.

Larry

Comment

Larry did you get a response to this, I too am interested.

G.

Comment

My clients use IE almost exclusively (habit I guess) but I've worked with many who use Firefox, Chrome, and Safari without any problems. I seem to recall an instance or two where a browser update came out that broke some compatibility with Alpha but Alpha fixed it right away.
                      Mike Brown - Contact Me
                      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                      Programmatic-Technologies.com
                      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

No, I did not get an answer.

And now the answer must be expanded to mobile browsers too!

I'm pretty sure all of the major browsers are covered quite well though.

Comment

Features that were working in Safari on the Ipad stopped working in the past few months. Spell check, fort example, used to work. It no longer does. This is a HUGE issue for my users because they use the application to do long notes on the Ipad. This becomes very impractical for them to do without Spell check.

Also, I was just informed yesterday that a process (an xbasic script) that takes 1 second on Desktop browsers like Forefox and IE, and on my droiud phone, takes 2 minutes on the Ipad. Very concerning.
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I think apple is merging all of its software to be one that will have same behavior on all devices. that could be true.
                            have you set the html field to be of correct type and set the auto correct checked so the spellcheck will work?
                            I am guessing that could be one of the reason to have unique behavior in apple browsers.
                            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                            mysql backend
                            http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                            [email protected]
                            1 914 924 5171

Comment

Where would I set those settings? On the Ipad? In Alpha?
                              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X