Alpha Video Training

Thread: Problem With Report

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Problem With Report

Hi, I'm having a problem trying to get a Grand Total from a statement report sent to our clients monthly. In the report Detail, there is a field labeled "Total". This field totals the "statement Amount" fields above it. In Group1, I want to put a calculated field to total up all the "Total" Field from the Group2 Detail. The statement amounts and the "Total" field are put in the detail in case the client owes for multiple months from the past. So if a client owed us for 3 months previous, then all three months would show up on the report. There would be three different groups with the field marked "Total". At the top in Group1, next to where it says "Total Amount Owed", this is where I need to put the calculated field to total the others. This is what I have put together in the Expression Builder as the expression:
    total(total(Payment_history->total,GRP->Group2),GRP->detail)

To me, this should work and the expression builder shows that it does by giving an amount owed and showing it's a logical expression. It does not say "an incomplete expression". The problem is when I try and drag and drop the calculated field, it states: "Internal Error" and that the expression may be invalid, and then of course it will not place it on the form. I must be missing something simple here. I have attached a pic of the form in design mode.

Statement Report.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated...... Thanks.... Scott

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Re: Problem With Report

Ok, I figured out I am partially inane. I took another look at the expression and realized that I named it improperly. The expression was named "Grand Total", with a blank in between "Grand" and "Total". Ok, so I fixed that and it will let me paste it now, but it is not totaling the "Total" field for a Grand Total. It just shows 0.00 when it should be showing a total. So, still a problem.......

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

You're working too hard.

Drop the "Total" field into the report footer (or group1 header or footer), specify total when given the opportunity.

Alpha will do the heavy lifting for you.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

I see what you're saying Stan, but shouldn't the expression I used also work? I must have something wrong in one of the properties boxes also because I'm getting the first record on the first page and then on the second page, I'm getting the Group Header but then no detail after that and no additional pages. The page break is on the "Client" field so each client would start a new page. I hate operator error.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by draxx2755 View Post
    I see what you're saying Stan, but shouldn't the expression I used also work? I must have something wrong in one of the properties boxes also because I'm getting the first record on the first page and then on the second page, I'm getting the Group Header but then no detail after that and no additional pages. The page break is on the "Client" field so each client would start a new page. I hate operator error.
    Compare what the genie generates with what you have. When I do that, I find my error and then I go back to letting the genie do the work for me.

This is one genie that is 'nearly' flawless.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

My headaches always seem to start dissapating when I cease banging my head against the wall.

Not sure why you're having issues with the page break. You do seem to have a non standard detail section, due I suppose to having a non relational table set up. Most would not have five date, check number, and amount fields per record. A payment to customer set would seem to be better constructed along the lines of an invoice_item to invoice_header situation.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Thanks Stan, got it figured out. And Al, I'll try that.