Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Zebra Hosting

Real Name
    Preston

Default Re: Thoughts on Zebra Hosting

I know you guys seem to like Zebra Host and some say "No way that we look somewhere else to save a few dollars" but from what I have seen it is more than a "few bucks". The closest Alpha hosting package I could find at Zebra to compare to another hosting service was over 8 times the monthly cost and with Zebra you still got less ram, less cores, less drive space and have to pay a high setup fee with Zebra.

Am I missing something? For the price it would seem like Zebra should provide all the Alpha Licenses as well. Maybe they are worth it and maybe not but I just do not see that much added value with Zebra Host.

Real Name
    Kenneth

I think the price difference is because of support. If I understand right it is included to the price plans in Zebrahost.

I am not Zebrahost customer I use AWS and Leaseweb. For example Leaseweb support costs about 80$ per month (1 hour response time) or 120$(1/2 hour response time). 24 hour response time is included free for plans automatically. So you have to pay lot more if you need fast support. (Many times it is just cheaper to run extra spare/backup servers.)

Real Name
    Robert Gilbert

Just experienced great support again from Zebrahost.
    For me personally I do not only look at cost but the peace of mind that I get from hosting with Zebrahost.

Even when I compare their support with other companies , Zebrahost outshines them hands down !!

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

Preston what specs are you looking for?
    The 8 times seems to be out to lunch.
    I have stuff with Zebrahost that is only 120 ish.
    Are you saying you have hosting for $15 per month?
    Am I missing something?
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    Preston

Quote Originally Posted by chadbrown View Post
    Preston what specs are you looking for?
    The 8 times seems to be out to lunch.
    I have stuff with Zebrahost that is only 120 ish.
    Are you saying you have hosting for $15 per month?
    Am I missing something?
    Going by this. http://zebrahost.net/newsite/alpha-a...anced-systems/

Another place has dedicated managed server, 24/7 support, 8 Cores, 8gb ram, 1 terabyte disk space,unlimited traffic bandwidth, No setup fees.

Zebra would be $699.00 a month compared to $80.00 a month for example so that works out to 8.74 times the cost for less. So basically $7420 less a year difference. To me that is not "just a few bucks more". Even if I went cloud based server it would be $5448.00 a year less than Zebra, again not "just a few bucks more".

Now I am not saying I need the capabilities of the server Zebra sells for $700.00 a month but I am just using that as a comparison and the difference is still there on the smaller server configurations.

My app I am working on is for a specific industry. When used it does some very complex math calculations but only for an instant when final pricing is calculated for a quote or invoice. Other than that it will be very limited traffic to and from the server. I plan on having most if not all the math done on the client side if and when possible. Chances of all users sending request to the server at the same time or close to the same time are slim to none. I want to have a minimum of 100 users (not all from the same company) on each instance. This said, I do not yet know what I really need in the way of a server and that is why I am comparing things.

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

That is for a load balanced system not a regular server.

If you don't mind can you give me the name of the company that provides you with a

dedicated managed server, 24/7 support, 8 Cores, 8gb ram, 1 terabyte disk space,unlimited traffic bandwidth, No setup fees.
    For $80/month
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    Preston

If you don't mind can you give me the name of the company that provides you with a

For $80/month
    Well $60 a month for the first year and then $80.00

I sent you a PM with the name of the Hosting service. If you need I can send you a link to that specific server setup. I did not want to put it here in a public post.

Real Name
    Preston

Could not find anything but this on Zebra, other menu links are broke or empty. http://zebrahost.net/newsite/dedicat...onfigurations/

Theirs is $399 a month for the same thing on the other hosting service for $80.00 a month. So about 5 times the cost.

Real Name
    Mike Tankle

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    I think the price difference is because of support. If I understand right it is included to the price plans in Zebrahost.

I am not Zebrahost customer I use AWS and Leaseweb. For example Leaseweb support costs about 80$ per month (1 hour response time) or 120$(1/2 hour response time). 24 hour response time is included free for plans automatically. So you have to pay lot more if you need fast support. (Many times it is just cheaper to run extra spare/backup servers.)
    Well, I started this thread, so I wanted to throw in some positive feedback. KKFIN mentioned AWS so I initiated a conversation with them:

Mike Tankle 12:26 PM (18 hours ago)
    Hello (name witheld). I was wondering what experience you (aws) had with alpha anywher...

(name witheld)
    12:40 PM (18 hours ago)

to me
    I have never heard of that application/software; but with AWS EC2 service it is software agnostic, so you can install/upload any application on our instances and it will work.

(name witheld)
    Lead Sales Development Representative
    Amazon Web Services
    (name witheld)@amazon.com
    206-435-9007

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

AA running on AWS is not new since V10 that is possible, there where some troubles with lics but that seems to be fix with V12. For most people with out the expertise how to solve issues at Windows 20XX servers Zebrahosting is a good partner. If you have the skills to run your VPS OS at any level at any breakpoint then sure use the cheaper [?] alternatives like Leaseweb Europe. Take notice that some large ISP providers never hear from AA so there is no direct direct help due lack of knowlegde, but since AA is on the road i think that will change in time.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by bea2701 View Post
    If you have the skills to run your VPS OS at any level at any breakpoint then sure use the cheaper [?] alternatives like Leaseweb Europe.
    EC2 and Leaseweb USA/Europe is mainly targeted for developers and service providers who can run servers.
    They are not cheaper. Their business model is just different.

I am surprised if we have any other place to deploy in future than Zebrahost (or some other provider) after Alpha releases IIS plugin. It must be some kind of closed Alpha Cloud solution.

Real Name
    Jaco Brooks

The fantastic service and willingness to always assist from Zebra never ceases to amaze me. Been with Zebra for 4 years now and they have never let me down

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks99 View Post
    The fantastic service and willingness to always assist from Zebra never ceases to amaze me. Been with Zebra for 4 years now and they have never let me down
    Sorry to hear that you have had so many problems that you constantly need to use their support. What to say. In Leaseweb the servers are just running without any problems. I hope you can now concentrate to running your business and not anymore need their support so much.

Real Name
    Jaco Brooks

The compliment was directed at assistance given outside the scope of what I pay Zebra for. They helped me with compliance on my mandrill account. Like in previous post. Been with them for 4 years and they have never let me down....... No problems