Alpha Video Training

Thread: Single File Alpha 5 Installation Maker (APPin Plugin Beta)

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Default Single File Alpha 5 Installation Maker (APPin Plugin Beta)

Features v1.0 (beta version)

Over the past 4 years I have used Inno Script Studio by Kymoto Solutions to compile my installation files for Alpha5. Inno Script Studio utilizes Inno Setup, a free installer and one of the leading commercial installation makers on the market today. In an attempt to make the perfect installer for Alpha5, I developed the “APPin” plugin which is now available for beta testing. The APPin plugin bridges the gap between the unique installation requirements of Alpha5 and the unique scripting technique utilized by Inno and provides a simple to use interface that can be accessed through Alpha5. The best part of APPin is that any specific installation requirement not addressed by the plugin can be fulfilled my modifying the inno script directly. Below is a list of the basic features.

• Commercial grade installation maker with a simplified interface designed for use with Alpha5 v10, v11, and v12.
    • All application and runtime files are compiled into a single setup file.
    • Separates setup file into multiple selectable components depending on installation type selected. Components include Application Files, Help Files, CSS Icon Font Files, Shared Network Files, Client Bootstrap Files, Runtime Files and Patches.
    • Automatic file inclusion for application updates.
    • Automatic backup of files updated.
    • Customizable skin.

If you are interested in being part of the beta or would like to try the plugin, send an email to appin@dbs6.com with “Beta” as the subject and a link to the download page will be returned.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Default Single File Alpha 5 Installation Maker (verson 1.1)

Appin, the install maker plugin for Alpha 5 (v10-v12) is no longer in beta and is available for download. To download the initial release, click on the link below. Please do not forget to register the software (free of charge).

https://files.secureserver.net/0sd1BFnta1y6V0

A description of the software can be found in my original post herein. For those of you that use this plugin, please provide any feedback or ideas so that it can be further refined (use the 'report bug' button).
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    Walter Morgan

Default Re: Single File Alpha 5 Installation Maker (verson 1.1)

FYI Got the attached warning from Google when I attempted to download your file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by WaltMorgan View Post
    FYI Got the attached warning from Google when I attempted to download your file.
    Google Chrome gives me the same message and has the same dismiss button next to it.

Click the show all downloads in the lower right corner, click recover malicious file, and your download is complete.
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 09-06-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Robin

Default Re: Single File Alpha 5 Installation Maker (APPin Plugin Beta)

I posted this in v11 forum:

My Alpha program files are not under Documents & Settings. Is this a problem for the install? I can't find any addins installed. Perhaps you could add the option of letting us pick where to install the program? The shortcut created pointed to a non-existent directory. I suspect it will be the same for it to find where I installed the InnoScript program?

Also a "dir_not_used" table appears in the control panel with a "?"
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Quote Originally Posted by WaltMorgan View Post
    Just click on "more" and get instructions for (not Google but in my case the browser Google Chrome) to disable that particular check.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Quote Originally Posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
    Just click on "more" and get instructions for (not Google but in my case the browser Google Chrome) to disable that particular check.
    EDIT
    I see Al's post - probably easier.

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Robin, sorry for the confusion but it appears I used my internal installation script and not the one for distribution. Please go to the link again and download. This will correct the issue.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Concerning security warings on download:

The link provided is a link to download an "EXE" executable file. As such, some browsers may issue a security warning b/c the publisher (me) does not have a digital signature on file. Although there is an option to create installation packages using a digital signature using Inno and the Appin plugin, I currently do not have one as they can be expensive. As such, you get the warning which you should be able to bypass. Other than that, the setup program is hosted on Godaddy's Online Storage and should be secure and safe to download.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Version 1.11 of the plugin is now available for download using the link below. This version changes the registration process so that the plugin only needs to be unlocked once regardless of the number of Alpha 5 versions you add the plugin to. Updating to this version requires all users to request a new unlocking key. As always, this plugin is free to use.

https://files.secureserver.net/0sd1BFnta1y6V0
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    Dave Mason

James,

Remember that Astrum Installer is completely free and is version 2.9.60. It will do everything needed to create a very professional Installer for alpha in windows8.1 and back. The future is not going to be there in later years since they have now stopped development, but for now it is working great. We do not know what windows10 will bring either for alpha or astrum, but will cross that bridge when we get there.

There are several other alternatives available, but this one is my choice for now. It is easier to use than the alpha installer for a quick install creation. You simply choose the folder(s) or file(s) and make your install.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

This one is free also and is being kept current: http://www.bytessence.com/bim.html
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Mike Data

The site mentioned above is not active.... http://www.bytessence.com/bim.html

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Thanks Mike,
    It was good when posted.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Robin

Looks like they might have sold it...screenshots look like the same program

Astrum Install Wizard

but it ain't free anymore!
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Astrum and bytessence are not the same unless they merge somehow.

I have looked at both, although it has been a while.
    Astrum shows a price, but they don't take your money. At least, that was how it was the last time I was there.

I just re-visited astrum site. You cannot pay even if you want to.

As a one file installer, it works perfect for me. I can install the server files and/or install the runtime with the shadow already made including the shortcuts and other I may need on the desktop.
    By installing both from one file, you have both installs in the one file and ask which to install.
    I prefer making 2 installs. One for the server and a separate one for the workstations.

It seems many installers today are free. Many have just gone away.

Some people have gone to zip file methods. It works, but just a little harder to set up and harder to implement at a site far away. A really good batch file included can be your best friend.
    Last edited by DaveM; 02-03-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

I'm less than 2 months away from releasing version 2.0 which will have a alot of modifications and capabilities I did not have time to fit into my original release. Version 2.0 will also be documented and have a simplier interface. As always, the plugin will rely on the Inno Installation engine. I will post a definitive date at a later time.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    Walter

James,

New to Inno Setup:
    On Inno Setup I cannot seem to launch the program with the splash screen after update completed.

My script:
    [Run]
    Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -splash=""cms_logo.jpg"" -title=""Transport Network""
    -icon=""cms.ico"""; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent

Can you assist ?

Walter

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Walter, Im happy to assist if I can. Let me make sure I understand the issue:

It looks like you used the Appin plugin and successfully created an installation exe. When you run the installation script, it installs the program but on the last screen the checkbox (checked) to open the application does not open the application. If this is correct, please answer the following otherwise describe your issue in more detail.

1. The Appin plugin utilizes a user created file to execute Alpha's command line options. Can you attach the file you used so I can check it for error's? I prefer to use the source even though you included the text in your original message.
    2. You first message called it an "update". Did you create a "full install" before the update? Did the command line options in the full install work correctly?

Let me know.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    Walter

James,

I am not using the plugin - all manually coded.
    1. Do you mean the .iss file ? - I copy the icon files as well - they are working 100% - it opens the splash screens as well.
    2. Yes, this question relates to a full install or an update. I want the user to choose to open the application once installed or updated. It is a tick box at the end on the installation

The code in my original message works, it is only the splash screen NOT showing.

[Icons]
    ;Name: "{app}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters: "whc.adb"
    Name: "{app}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -splash=""cms_logo.jpg"" -title=""Transport Network"" -icon=""cms.ico""";

Name: "{group}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -splash=""cms_logo.jpg"" -title=""Transport Network"" -icon=""cms.ico""";
    Name: "{commondesktop}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -splash=""cms_logo.jpg"" -title=""Transport Network"" -icon=""cms.ico""";
    Name: "{group}\Uninstall {#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{uninstallexe}"; WorkingDir: "{app}"

[Run]
    Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -splash=""cms_logo.jpg"" -title=""Transport Network"" -icon=""cms.ico"""; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Walter, if you are only having an issue with you splash screen, I don't think it is an issue with Inno. My plugin creates the icons and Run command a little differently. As such, you may want to try the following:

Create a file called "startup.txt" and include the following:
    Code:
    -ICON ="cms"
    -SPLASH="cms_logo.jpg"
    -TITLE="Transport Network"
    Change your Inno code to:
    Code:
    [Run]
    Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -INCLUDE=""{app}\startup.txt"""; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent
    If this works, change your parameters code in the [Icon] section. You may also want to try and change the "nowait" flag to "shellexec".

I'm not sure why your runtime is in the "{app}" directory when it is usually in the "{pf}" directory. Change if this is the case.

One last thing, if none of this works, try using a .bmp file instead.

Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    James

Real Name
    Walter

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.
    I like the startup.txt file - makes it a bit easier.

OK, I have tried all your suggestions and changes, but it will not open with the splash screen.
    I have added the startup.txt file to the other icons, and with those icons it works with the .jpg and a .bmp splash file.

Code:
    [Icons]

Name: "{app}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters:  """{app}\whc.adb"" -INCLUDE=""{app}\startup.txt""";
    Name: "{group}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters:  """{app}\whc.adb"" -INCLUDE=""{app}\startup.txt""";
    Name: "{commondesktop}\{#MyAppName}"; Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"; IconFilename: "{app}\cms.ico"; Parameters:  """{app}\whc.adb"" -INCLUDE=""{app}\startup.txt""";
    Changed the splash file to a .bmp - no difference
    I also tried shellexec in place of nowait - no difference.
    Code:
    [Run]
    Filename: "{app}\A5v11Runtime\alpha5.exe"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, '&', '&&')}}"; Parameters: """{app}\whc.adb"" -INCLUDE=""{app}\startup.txt"""; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent

Regards

Real Name
    James S. Hackney

Default Re: APPin v2.0 released

Appin version 2.0 has been released. Below is your link to download a copy. Please uninstall version 1.* before you install. Please do not post any remarks concerning v2.0 here. Instead use the new thread created for v2.0.

Thanks,
    James