Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ongoing severe network share performance issues - Server 2008 R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ongoing severe network share performance issues - Server 2008 R2

Chris,
    If you can set the database(server part) up on a windows(any) machine? Make sure it has an unfettered connection, fully shared. from a workstation with runtime, connect to the data and see how fast it is. With 7 users, I personally would use runtime and shadowed on any more than 3 users.

If this runs fine, you can further test with more work stations. If tests are positive, then you know it is a server issue or similar and not to do with the application itself.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Chris, I installed a new NAS for a customer over the weekend and moved the master DB to it from one of his workstations (he has no server) which was previously acting as the Alpha server.

On first test the system was running like a dog with 3 legs e.g. 40 seconds to open a form, 20 seconds to perform a search. On delving into the NAS configuration I discovered that opportunistic locking was disabled. Once enabled I found everything sprang into life.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, I plan to attend site tomorrow to do some troubleshooting with all of your tips.

WokingJon - the only information I found was to disable opp locks, as with Server 2008 R2 running SMB2 it is enabled by default. I did try running with SMB1 and disabling oplocks to no avail.

I have found the majority of the clients do not have shadow copy enabled and their network does have a couple of hidden hubs behind desks which could be contributing to the issue...

Comment

Ok, I set some time aside this evening;

1. Re-ran through this article for SMB and Oplocks; http://www.dataaccess.com/whitepaper...adcaching.html
          - I noticed no improvement so backed out

2. TEMP SERVER - Created a local copy of the Alpha data on a workstation, instant snappy response, shared this folder and pointed another workstation runtime to it, same sluggish performance as it is when running from the server
          - Rules out any network issues

3. Only had 2 workstations on the network
          - Ruled out network saturation and too many concurrent users slowing it down

4. Checked share permissions on the Alpha folder
          - Domain Users have full access

5. I didn't try installing the runtime to a folder other than program files - unsure what difference I would see here

6. Firewall / AV and online backups disabled

Helllpppppp :) :)

Some of the forms have over 70 thousand records, could some archiving be done? could there be any coding issues?

As it worked fine on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP and the only difference is files shares - I was really hoping it would be SMB versions or oplocks. But nope.

Are there any upgrade paths for this? V12? Alpha Anywhere? As I said I am new to Alpha, however I love the idea of having a web front end for this, it feels dated to me as it is. I would love some advice or guidance. Is an upgrade path to a web app an easy experience? costly? Anyone want to do it for me? :) That would almost certainly rule out any performance issues and to be honest I want to upgrade their app server to 2012 and continue with a Windows 8 desktop roll out.

Many thanks everyone

Comment

How about adding Win2003 to the VM and running Alpha in Terminal Services. I do this with MS Access and get 40 concurrent users.

Comment

I did think of that, as it runs fine locally on my 2008 server I could just install TS role and get going.. however that would just be a workaround :(

Comment

On 2008 you can publish as app only, no need for full desktop. I used it a lot with customers that have old PC's. One install only! Network traffic drop to next to nothing. But then you have the license's to deal with.

Comment

The only frustrating part here is the Alpha database has links to send emails and open sage located on their local computers.. grrrr

Comment

I was following this thread, but I was confused your first input, which I didn't understand.
                    2012 R2 Hyper-V host running virtual Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller with a Windows Server 2008 R2 application server to host Alpha Five.
                    Why do you use Windows Server 2008 as an application Server?

OK, I am not a server administrator in our office, but last month I installed an Windows Storage Server 2012 here, because our Linux servers are to slow.

When I tested the Window-Server I had some issues which I discovered by two tools, which were helpful. I have just copy the application files to the Windows-Server nothing else, no Alpha Software.

1. Look at the Computer Management, Windows Logs, Application. This Information could be very helpful. my last issue is an vss error, which is very hard to discover.
                    2. Look at Microsoft Network Monitor which is free and analysis any network traffic from the client to server in detail. We discovered the reason, why Linux is behind Windows.

I guessing your problem is an access violation, but I have no idea why.

Cornelius

Comment

Chris,
                      Running external Apps are a problem. With TS it's almost an 'all in' proposition with full desktop rather than single app publication. Citrix does this but it's out of my budget.
                      What is the Alpha app doing?

Comment

Chris. Time to go back to basics. If you have 2 workstations attached, your server config is over the top.
                        Build yourself a simple config, with one of the workstations as a server, then add RT to BOTH. See how that affects performance.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help.

So far I have re-configured every client with Alpha and setup a new shadow copy using Network Optimisation. Also given each client a clean up. We recently rebooted a couple of old switches/hubs and have not had a problem since, we are going to get these replaced. Currently running a trial or PRTG Network Monitor to see if anything else suspicious is going on. Been ok since switch reboots.

Have also deployed Alpha via Server 2008 RDS RemoteApp for trial. Very fast but some users will have limited functionality when it calls for a local install of Outlook to send an email I think.

Comment

That similar to our experience. Our office and workshop are in some rooms with separated power connections.

In the past our switches stop working time to time and we hat to reboot them. Therefor our electrician installed an equipotential cable between to power connections. (translate from Google, sorry). In my words, that is a ground line cable. We were able to measure some high voltage at shielding of the network cable. Sometimes, when we unplugged a network cable, some sparks were noticed.

Since this installation we have no trouble with our switches. The voltage measure is very low

Comment

Chris I know this maybe a reach but it sounds like a network issue period. Change the nic cable on the server 1st use a new one. It could be a switch problem as well as they can be intermittent issue. I would setup with new cable and one workstation with a test switch and try. Plus I do not know what network overhead the the dbf files need over the network but maybe there is some issue there with server 2012. I would be willing to bet if this was MSSQL there would be no problem. I am heading on a major network towards Citrix setups and have legacy programs needing to run I hope this will not be an issue for me on that install.
                              Nicholas Wieland
                              LedgerSuite.com Corp
                              [email protected]
                              http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

Nicholas,

dbf files over a network have been working fine for longer than mssql or current servers have been out. Alpha with shadowing took a lot of screen work off the server and thus off the network, so basically it is data being transferred to the workstations and back.

Now we have nice cat5/cat6 cables and hubs/switches. I rand dbf and access tables over stranded wire that ran from pc to pc to pc from a server which may also be a pc. They performed very quickly.

Most apps I worked with were clipper and VB based apps at the time.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X