Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help Wanted: Someone in Mesa, AZ to teach me Alpha Anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Wanted: Someone in Mesa, AZ to teach me Alpha Anywhere

I am the owner of Fix-My-Computer Store in Mesa, AZ. I am looking to hire someone to teach me how to use Alpha Anywhere. or looking for someone to help me make modifications to one of my customers alpha database. My client had someone create a data base that needs modifications and the original developer is not available. Please call Mike at #(480) 263-9686. or e-mail me at [email protected].
    Last edited by fixmycomputerstore; 09-06-2014, 02:37 AM.

Re: Help Wanted: Someone in Mesa, AZ to teach me Alpha Anywhere

Mike, location isn't an issue for database changes.
    Anyone taking this on will need to know whether the application is Desktop or Web based, so please advise. DT is usually on a few computers in a network, Web will have a server running.

Learning AA is a whole different subject and it will take quite a while depending on DT or Web
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted thank you for the reply.

I am definitely not a programmer, I believe it is Desktop based. I have a client that originally had Alpha five database's (4) created for him. For work orders and invoices for his company the original programmer is hard to reach and work worth over the years. Recently my client has been complaining about slow access and errors in his work order programs / database so I did a little research and we purchased the latest version Alpha anywhere version 12 with the developers license. After the upgrade the server seems to be working a lot better. but the way it was originally setup for my client every year the programmer would come back and do modifications to the database. Basically add fields in the template of his database representing different years for work orders and invoices. It is hosted on a local network on a server does not use any web based applications.

There is approx 9 client computers accessing this database on local server.

Comment

Sounds like(may be wrong) that it was designed wrong to begin with if one has to modify it each year.
        Also, if he is using a runtime, it would be nice to know. 'If the runtime is in something like V8 and the developer is in v12, there could be other issues arise.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yeah I do not know how answer your questions. The thing I do know that the original Alpha five and then was upgraded to Alpha seven and now I upgraded the software to Alpha anywhere version 12 which helped the performance in the database lag my client was experiencing.

Basically over the years my client would have the programmer come back and add new calendar year to organizing his invoices and work orders. Basically just added a tab button on the menu screen that separated the calendar years and starting new numbering system for the new year of work orders and invoices. But from the menu screen was able to go back to previous years. This is why I'm looking for someone local. To replace the undependable programmer. There were some other concerns such as some of the fields were not big enough to hold all the information and it left off data when printing the invoice / work orders.

Comment

Help wanted: Need local person Mesa Arizona to help make Modifications to existing Alpha database

Not able to contact original designer for modifications:

This is a desktop based database originally created with Alpha five upgraded five months ago to the latest version Alpha anywhere. This database is a work order & invoice database on a local in-house server serving nine client computers.

Contact information: Fix My Computer Store

Owner: Mike
            Phone voice or text: 480-263-9686
            [email protected]
            WWW.FIXMYCOMPUTERSTORE.COM

Comment

I'm with Dave on this one. Ill thought out design in the first place. I have an invoicing and work order application which has been running for 15 years now, done in A5V6.
              Easiest thing to do, if the client will let you, is to zip the database using the Zip feature and let me have a look at the design. I am cleared by UK Health service and Government regarding their data and have no interest in the content of your client's database. If I cannot suggest anything I will delete it and wipe the space.
              This will cost nothing and the meter only starts running if you decide to go ahead with any work.

You mentioned that you had upgraded to V12 AA. Please can you open an instance on one of the terminals and open Help/About and let us have the version number please. Also, may I ask what process did you go through to do this upgrade?
              Last edited by Ted Giles; 09-07-2014, 04:01 AM.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thank you Ted for all your input and offer to look at the database.

I will be contacting my client with our correspondents and get back with you, again I appreciate your offer you should be hearing back from me within the week.

Comment

Working...
                X