Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

external database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

external database

I have 5 similar databases (except for data).
    Each database has a table named CONSULTANTS.DBF

I want to create a 6th database with only the combined data from
    the 5 CONSULTANTS tables.

When a consultant record is added / deleted / edited in one of the 5
    databases I want the change to be propagated to the new 6th database.

How can i accomplish this??

Re: external database

If dealing additions only then I would use "last record number updated" register for each of the five tables to append later additions.
    However, for possible Added/Deleted/edited - the time taken to check every record to update would be outweighed by a clear and append all which is very fast.
    Assuming on a local network.

Comment

My, what complicated webs we weave.

Is each database in its own (separate) folder?

Will the 6th database be in its own (separate) folder?

We are talking databases here, right? i.e. not tables, right?

Comment

Thanks Ray...

Tom:
        Each database is in it's own folder (~90 tables each).... The 6th database will consist of one or two tables, mainly the CONSULTANTS table. It will also exist in it's own folder.
        All folders are on a fileserver which is accessed over a LAN.

I took a look at Active-Link and Mapped tables... but I'm not sure if they will be of any use.
        I also tried attaching the new table to multiple databases but Alpha does not seem happy with this.

Comment

Does the 6th database have to be available to all the workstations?

Comment

If your 6th table contains all the data from the other 5, I would think it could provide a lookup link to the other databases. But I would not try to do data entry into that table directly. Instead you could add new consultants to the local table then append to the 6th.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
              Does the 6th database have to be available to all the workstations?
              Well... that would be nice... but I guess that what I am trying to discover is what the best way to accomplish this would be.
              The main reasons for doing this is 1) because I run a series of 10 - 12 complex scripts that operate on the Consultants table 2) my client insists that individual databases remain separate.

The Consultants tables in the 5 production databases contain different data. Consultants in a particular country are tracked in each database.
              BUT
              Consultants in one country can 'sponsor' consultants in other countries. The earn $ from the sales of these consultants. So...once per month I would like to export (or by some means) combine all of the active consultants in each country (along with their sales totals) into a 6th ('master-consultant') database and run the scripts from the 6th database.

Comment

Maybe I am not fully understanding all this, but:
                Clarifying for myself here:
                5 identical adb's? and 5 set of identical tables? if so is there a defining field in those tables that identify that table record as belonging to the database it is in?
                If so, an append x 5 could be accomplished on each table and still have the records separated by the identifying field. Then run the scripts you need and zap what is left so all is empty for the next month.

I may be way off on this, but is a rudimentary idea.

I am sure the client has a reason for wanting the databases set separate and it usually come from some bad experience in life about the same, but I'm sure you are getting paid well for all the extra work the client has caused.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks DaveM

Your approach is probably a good working solution.
                  I created a new field in the Consultants table in each of the databases. This field is a calculated field and concatenates the current auto-increment key field with a prefix like USA-, CAN-, ITA- etc.
                  This allows (as you pointed out) the identification of each record with its associated database.
                  My plan is to prompt the user for the location of the international database... duplicate the table, naming it ConsultantsUSA, ConsultantsCDN etc... pack the table... drop the table... copy to the destination folder...
                  open the international database... add the table(s)... append each one... drop the tables.
                  Does this seem reasonable to you?

BTW...
                  'I am sure the client has a reason for wanting the databases set separate and it usually come from some bad experience in life about the same, but I'm sure you are getting paid well for all the extra work the client has caused'...
                  very insightful... yes there is a reason... (a questionable one... but nevertheless a reason)... 'well paid'... hmmm... how does about $8/hr sound to you?? I started this 12 years ago for a friend... ever heard of 'scope-creep'???

Comment

Tom
                    no... the 6th database willl be available to one person on one workstation.

Comment

The approach to adding the field was not quite what I had in mind. 1 field in each table numeric 3 with only one number in it like first data base as a 1 for every record, db 2 has a 2 for every record, db 3 has a 3 for.....

Leaves little possibility for a mess up.

for later each record in any db would have a number placed in that field 1,2,3,4,or 5 depending on the db.

But, if you have a failsafe way??? OK

db 6 just sees the number in any table and knows where the info came from.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

external dat

Thank you for your reply Oliver.
                        Until now i actually used external scripts to pull data into the CP.

But if i do understand you creect, it would be possible to create my own CP with de required fileds allready included ?
                        If that is right, i will give it a try for sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X