Alpha Video Training

Thread: Adding Google "My Places" Data to a Google Map Component

Real Name
    Roger Baas

Default Adding Google "My Places" Data to a Google Map Component

Google Maps has a "My Places" feature that allows a Maps user to add place markers, lines, and regions on top of the map canvas. The objects can be saved as a private or shared My Maps data set.

Here is an example data set: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...8.kwf8onB-ZZPo.

Is there a way to pull a publicly shared My Maps data set into an A5 Google Map component as perhaps a map layer?

Thank you.
    Roger

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Adding Google "My Places" Data to a Google Map Component

Why not just use the link to display the content in a window?
    When you say pull your really asking to GET the data which implies it's there for the asking if I am understanding your question...define "publicly shared" and how would I get the data.

Real Name
    Roger Baas

Default Re: Adding Google "My Places" Data to a Google Map Component

Charles,

To create this type of My Maps data and make it public:
    • Navigate to https://www.google.com/maps/preview and login to Google if not already logged in.
    • Click in the upper left search box and one of the drop-down selections is "My maps".
    • Click on My Maps.
    • Click Create to start a new map (or chose to edit an existing map).
    • Use the tools to import tabular data, Google Earth KML data, and/or draw shapes on the map.
    • Once done editing, click on the green "Share" button in the upper right.
    • Click "Change..." link and choose "Public on the web"
    • Click "Save"
    • Copy the "Link to share" URL to share the map by using the URL link.
    • Alternatively, to embed the map, click "Done" to return to the main map display.
    • Click the folder icon in the upper left.
    • Choose "Embed on my site" and copy the displayed HTML <iframe...></iframe> code displayed.
    • Place the copied code into your web page.

I currently do display My Maps data (Google refers to this data as "My Maps" or "My Places") in an embedded iframe placed in one of the freeform edit regions within an A5 Grid Component (example: <iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=zkJEBrsIKVB8.kwf8onB-ZZPo" width="640" height="480"></iframe>). But as far as I can tell, there is no way for A5 to use that type of embedded map window to, for example, place markers on the map based on addresses displayed on the grid.

To place markers on the map based on grid data requires an embedded or pop up A5 Google Map Component which can be manipulated via AJAX calls (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETEvJDUEhOs).

But the A5 Google Map Component does not have predefined fields to specify a Google My Maps map as the background of that map component. I assume there may be a way to add the additional JavaScript to the component to display the My Maps data using one of the Google Maps JavaScript API v3 layer functions such as the Data Layer, KML/GeoRSS Layers, or Map Engine Layers but I'm not sure how to add the additional code to the component.

Thank you.
    Roger