Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Form change when copying from one computer to a second computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form change when copying from one computer to a second computer

I designed a form for my application which fitted the full screen of my Toshiba Laptop, and which when checked was 36.38 cm wide and 16.51 cm high - according to the properties panel. The Toshiba laptop has a 15.5 inch diagonal screen.

However when this same database and form was installed with a second allowable copy of A5 on my desktop computer, suddenly approx 25% of the RH side is not viewable and off screen to the right. Why is this?? FYI the desktop screen is a standard and new 19.5 inch diagonal ACER proper computer monitor (not a TV screen).

And changing the width and height properties of the form does not fix the problem, or "shrink in" the full desired form into a lesser width space.

So the problem I now forsee is that when I want to transfer/update the data files between the two computers � and I will want to be doing that BOTH ways between the two computers via the A5 Backup/Restore function and via a USB stick - if I change/resize/redesign the form on one computer, then that form change will go with the respective copied database and data, but be wrong in terms of form view and size when viewed and copied onto the second computer.

That is, if I leave the form �as is� on the laptop and copy to the desktop, then the form will be too wide on the desktop. Conversely, if I shrink the form to fit on the desktop and copy to the laptop, then the form will be too narrow on the laptop.

Given this problem seems peculiar to A5 when viewed on the desktop, (that is there is no problem with any other program I have on the desktop such as MS Word, Explorer/Internet etc etc, and they all view the same on both computers), then as far as I can see the problem is within A5, and not either computer as such.

Can anybody suggest a solution???

Many thanks
    adcooke

Re: Form change when copying from one computer to a second computer

Alpha desktop has always had a limitation in that it does not resize.

Question about your monitor settings for the new monitor? there is a width setting on your monitor is it properly set to the edges of the screen? I have seen this be an issue before.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks you for your reply. Yes monitor width stings ok. The form is missing about 3-4 cm on the RHS - quite a lot to readjust for. So are you saying there's nothing I can do about this, as it is a limit or "bug" within A5 ??

Comment

It is not a bug, just call it a mild restriction

There are some ways around it, but difficult.

For instance:
        I build my apps on a huge monitor and quickly open them from 2 other computers(laptop and a desktop) with what would be current standards for most users. That determines the size of my forms.

Another way is to build a form to match several different resolutions and monitors like a user may have. Then you can select which forms(s) to use at the beginning. Some have even detected the resolution on app start and then chosen the form(s) for the user from that. It can be done, but you wind up with 3-4 of the same forms in different sizes. That can be a headache to keep up with if you do many changes to the apps.

Current app is set to be useable on my laptop at 1280 X 768. It is a brand new unit, but that is the upper limit of the settings. On my work machine at 1920 X 1080, the form takes up a smaller amount of space. For this app that is going to a place where some of the users are still trying to keep 800 X 600, they will just have to adjust their settings to be able to see it all. I am not getting paid enough to design a bunch of extra forms. They need to move on up in the world. I am designing to fit their (mostly) 19" diagonal monitors and then dropped smaller due to some having laptops. ( I know they are in process of upgrading all their 40 computers).
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave, very helpful. Nice of Alpha though to make this so difficult.

As I'll only ever be using the two computers, I'll have a go at your solution of having two forms - one for each computer - then select on start-up as required. Like you say though, it is a pain.

Many thanks
          adcooke

Comment

You could design forms for the smaller screen that are not maximized, ie windowed, and use the anchors to move objects right or left, up or down, when the form is resized by the user.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

It can entail some coding in the autoexec to make it automatic, or just choose from a main menu for.

You might have a thought of changing the resolution of the screens instead??

Just thoughts.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                You might have a thought of changing the resolution of the screens instead??
                Exactly!
                They are both your own Adcooke
                When developing for clients give the advantage for those with high res screens that they can use the extra space for other things. Make some of your elements (like browses, control buttons, diagrams, status screens) modeless, the user benefits enormously.
                Many power users work across 2 screens anyway.

Comment

Thanks Robin

Comment

Thanks again David. I have now two copies of the same form, except one wide, one narrower, and for now will select manually as needed. Prefer to not change resolution.

But redoing the autoexec to automatically sense & choose was going to be my next thought, but could be fun. Any thoughts on the coding required ???

Comment

Thanks Ray

Comment

I never did it, but there have been a couple of posts in the forum with at least a bit of help on the coding needed.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I think you'll find what you are looking for here:

http://www.learn alpha.com/AlphaTips...creenSizes.htm

I used this approach on an application several years ago and it worked well.

Originally posted by adcooke View Post
                          Thanks again David. I have now two copies of the same form, except one wide, one narrower, and for now will select manually as needed. Prefer to not change resolution.

But redoing the autoexec to automatically sense & choose was going to be my next thought, but could be fun. Any thoughts on the coding required ???

Comment

Thanks Tim,
                            I had seen that earlier and was looking for it.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks you Tim and Dave --- and Jack Wheeler of it works!!

I'm not great with scripting coding etc, but will give it a good go.

Many thanks for your generous help. I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.

adcooke

Comment

Working...
                              X