Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Form change when copying from one computer to a second computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Form change when copying from one computer to a second computer

I see no need to try any of this myself but I did notice you are using the minus sign in your machine names. I do not know if that is causing a problem or not but I was always taught never to use a minus sign unless I wanted to subtract something from something. For machine names I use the underscore if I want to fill the space between words in the name. But what do I know.

Comment

I can't count how many clients, or their IT name machines with dash, most do. It is permissible and it affects no programs nor should it do so in yours.

If you wish for some reason to use that name for file or field names then you would as standard course convert it.

Comment

Could be Ray. I just know I have had issues with using - , + or / signs when not using them for calculations.

Originally posted by adcooke View Post
        Hi again Dave.

Well that I�m sure would normally work, but when I created the autoexec script below, it produced a really weird one.

My machine are named �ADC-TOSHIBA-PC� and �EMAHINE-ADC�.

When putting either of these into the script:

dim machine as c
        machname = api_getmachinename()
        if machname = ADC-TOSHIBA-PC then
        form.view("CWSmall Clnt Simple set")
        else
        form.view("CWSmall set for eMachine")
        end if

then it produces an error message saying:

�There was an error running the Autoexec script.
        Variable �PC� not found�.

If I swap things around and put in EMACHINE-ADC instead and with corresponding form.view swaps, then it says �Variable ADC not found� in the error message.

It seems it does not like having a hyphen before ADC in EMACHINE-ADC, or before the PC in ADC-TOSHIBA-PC.

However it doesn�t seem bothered by the hyphen AFTER the ADC in ADC-TOSHIBA-PC.

Now whilst this could be easily fixed by re-naming the computers with no hyphens on the one hand, it would I think create a major problem in getting Alpha Software to change the computer names associated with the licensing, so I�d rather not try go there.

So I guess I could go back to Jack White�s scripting for �selecting screen size�, but I would much prefer to stay with the above as it is so simple and convenient.

Any suggestions ?????
        The error messages adcooke is getting is exactly what would be expected when subtracting PC from ADC-TOSHIBA-PC. Alpha is going to error on the last part of what it considers the statement so it would show " PC " as the offending variable in its mind. If he removed "-PC" from the statement then it would probably say it could not find the variable "TOSHIBA".

I had a similar problem once and as soon as I changed it from NAME-THIS to NAME_THIS, the problem went away. My point is why even use a naming convention that may just rear its head under the right circumstances. I even believe in one of the Alpha TT lessons it specifically warns you about this being a possible cause of problems.

Comment

My point is why even use a naming convention that may just rear its head under the right circumstances. I even believe in one of the Alpha TT lessons it specifically warns you about this being a possible cause of problems.
          The reason people do things is so it makes sense to them. They mostly know nothing of naming conventions, so they don't use what they do not know about.

I change puter name to dave1-pc and ran it

Code:

dim machname as c
          machname = API_GETMACHINENAME()

?machname
          = "DAVE1-PC"
          Last edited by DaveM; 11-08-2014, 05:18 PM.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Heck Dave, MSDN says to not even use the underscore so who knows. For those of you that are getting away with using the "-" for things other than performing a subtraction, good for you. I just know I had the problem show up once and the minute I changed the "-" to"_" the problem went away so I am not tempting fate anymore.

Comment

Preston,

I, like you, rarely use "_", never use "-" or spaces in names. And I follow the other naming conventions to a letter. That eliminates tons of problems that could crop up.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you again Dave.

I ran the following 2 segments seperately, and the correct machine name ADC-TOSHIBA-PC did come up, as you predicted.

dim machname as c

?machname
                = "ADC-TOSHIBA-PC"

So the full autoexec should work.

But if I then shut down and reopen A5 from the icon, it still goes straight to the Control Panel (CP) only, not the form.
                Checked it autoexec is selected to run in settings, and YES.
                Started A5 from Windows>Programs>Alpha.exe, opened to "select DB", selected, again went straight to CP, after presumably running autoexec.
                Ran ' ?machname ' in interactive window after opening >> Error, variable "machname" not found. This suggests the autoexec did not run ?????

So now I'm completely baffled. Can't see why it won't work,
                Many thanks
                Arthur

Comment

dim machname as c

This has to be run at first in the autoexec or the variable will not be declared.

If this is in the autoexec and is still not working, then it is a startup problem not associated with the code.

Remember too, the variable as it is declared is only local to the script, not after.

dim global machname as c

This will makeit viewable later anywhere in alpha.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Sorry gentlemen, I did not see the posts on Page 2 before posting my last reply.

I'm more than happy to change the " - " to a " _ " (underscore, or no - or _ at all), and change the computer names likewise. I agree with Dave completely, that best not to tempt fate, given its just as easy normally to stay away from it, and when you change it, the problem goes away. As a previous Audio Engineer, I quickly learnt to live by Murphy's Law - "if it can go wrong - it will".

But the big reason I'm reluctant to do change the comp names is because of the likely drama getting the computer name changes for the two computers accepted by Alpha Software licencing, so am persisting with not changing until no other option available.

Many thanks again for your interest and very kind assistance.
                    Arthur

Comment

Dave,

Put 'global' into autoexec script as below, but still reopened to CP.

dim global machname as c

Also re-ran the aboe, the rr-ran " ?machname ' and got correct comp name.

Given you say: "If this is in the autoexec and is still not working, then it is a startup problem not associated with the code", then perhaps we should re-check there.

I've search Alpha and the web for help re writing correct autoexec scripts, but there is virtually NIL out there - something I find quite amazing given its potentially critical role.

If I take the database selection out of the icon properties, what's the correct code to put into the autoexec script to do so, in association with the form selection code we already have?? Or is that the wrong way to go about it also?

Arthur

Comment

Can you repost the exact code you have in the autoexec script so we are clear on what is there.

A couple of things I would do to isolate the problem. Basically, divide and conquer.

Change the autoexec code to only get the machine name and display it in a msgbox().
                        Change the autoexec code to only display a form- first a form other than the two you have tried. then one of the two you do want.

Slowly start building up the code.

Also in the workspace/project properties set the control panel to open to Desktop. ie don't leave it blank. I have had a database always open both and the web control panel opened over top of the form.

Check in the workspace properties library tab that there is only one library listed. Sometimes when copies are made there is still reference to a library(.alb file) in another folder. which may result in the wrong autoexec running.

Hope some of this is helpful.
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by adcooke View Post
                          If I take the database selection out of the icon properties, what's the correct code to put into the autoexec script to do so, in association with the form selection code we already have?? Or is that the wrong way to go about it also?

Arthur
                          No, leave the database selection in the icon shortcut definition. The auto exec is specific to each database. Till you get the autoexec working as desired don't use the icon, just start the database from the file menu or open workspace icon of the main Alpha window.
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus
                          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Can you possibly post the complete contents of you autoexec script here?
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you Tim - will try those suggestions.

Dave, as requested, copy of autoexec script as it stands now:

'Date Created: 08-Nov-2014 03:25:37 PM
                              'Last Updated: 09-Nov-2014 01:01:07 PM
                              'Created By : ADC
                              'Updated By : ADC
                              dim global machname as c
                              if machname = "ADC-TOSHIBA-PC" then
                              form.view("CWSmall Clnt Simple set")
                              else
                              form.view("CWSmall set for eMachine")
                              end if

The form.view lines are indented, but when the message posts, these indents disappear???

Thanks
                              Arthur

Comment

What happens if you run the autoexec script from the code editor?
                                Tim Kiebert
                                Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Working...
                                X